Diesel Place banner

Best place to buy 50/50 methanol distilled water mix

13K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Devilsown 
#1 ·
I am trying to dot my I's and cross my T's before diving into a water/methanol injection system. Is there anywhere I can buy a 50/50 mix of distilled water and methanol in bulk or would I have to buy them separately and mix them myself? Also where are the best deals on methanol? Thanks.

#2 ·
Check racing suppliers vendors for bulk methanol. Be careful with buying large quantities and then storing it. It will collect moisture very quickly and not the kind of moisture you want. Can't remember what drums cost but single gallons are up around 4/gallon.

#3 ·
Sounds like you know some stuff about some stuff. Are you currently running water/meth? How do you like it? I also see you are running an Air Dog 150 what kind of difference did that make for you. That will probably be my next upgrade. Have you had any overheating issues towing? For some reason my rig is heating up, but only when towing my 13K+ trailer uphill. What other recommendations would you have for an apprentice diesel modder? Thanks!

#4 ·
Not running water/meth, just had a lot of experience with methanol in racing. Run it everything from briggs motors all the way up to all aluminum 410 outlaw small blocks.

The AD was a great upgrade for me and supplies all the fuel I need for any of my tunes and the added filtration is a bonus. For towing, certainly water/meth would give some benefit. Some other things to look into are aftermarket intercoolers and also larger OD downpipes for better exhaust temps towing.

Something to check if your worried about temps towing are your thermostats. Seen them cause some issues for other guys and would be a good place to start. Also make sure the fan clutch is working properly, you should know when it kicks in it will kinda sound like a jet engine under your hood. Another thing could be head gaskets. Is your coolant collection tank getting pressurized and holding it overnight? A quick check to do is to see if your upper radiator hose is hard when the truck is cold. It could indicate some issues that aren't generally good for the truck.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help. I've determined to pull the radiator and intercooler and clean them out real good. While I'm at it, I will change the thermostats. One thing I don't know is if my fan clutch can be working partially or not. Is it either good or bad or can there be an in between. It does come on, but I'm not sure if it runs like it should.

#6 ·
If your clutch on the fan is out check out the Hayden.com fans they offer several that are stronger and have higher outputs Kodiaks use them for heavy towing troubles over stock clutches and fans that don't cool quite good enough. Just a thing to look at if you want.........

#7 ·
You are going to need to mix it yours self. Being a diesel your going to want to run a 25-75 mix of methanol/water. call around to some chemical supply places. Oil filed/farmers/anything that needs to clean oil use methanol. You should be able to find methanol for 2-2.50 a gallon. And even cheaper if you buy in real bulk like a drum. Look for sunoco people tend to sell it for cheaper than vp brand M1. Its what i run in my alcohol car.

your going to love water methanol on your diesel.

Distilled water can be bought at any grocery store. can also get it from a water place if you have one local. even in bulk its not much cheaper than grocery stores.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the clutch help colt49, and Methanol help Devilsown. I am REALLY looking forward to water/meth when I get this overheating issue resolved!

#10 · (Edited)
Only when pulling my 13,000lb trailer uphill. That's what has me confused. I bought a new water temp sensor today. If it is unchanged I plan to pull and clean my intercooler and radiator, replace my thermostats and fan clutch. It may be a little extreme, but this is driving me nuts. A friend of mine said it could be my head gaskets. Have you all heard of this happening? It doesn't leak any fluids, and there is no oil in water or water in oil. There are no trouble codes either??

#11 ·
I would agree with mixing it your self. I have run a 50/50 mix in my TA for about two years as a added safety net to protect the bottom end of my motor. I think i paid about 15 bucks for 5 gallons of meth.

#12 ·
Cool! Thanks.

#14 ·
What is the freezing point of 25/75 vs. 50/50?

#16 ·
The winters are plenty cold here in Utah. What are the freezing points of 25/50 vs. 50/50? Would you suggest running 50/50 in the winter and 25/50, or less, in the summer months? I am more interested in the cooling benefits of water, without freezing! Is there any damage to the system if you run out of water/meth, or does it run ok without?

#18 ·
Thanks for your help Devilsown! What harm is there if you run out of water meth while driving?

#23 ·
my lb7 only has one and it is part of the maf. The only thing i found it controls is the intake heater, does not change fueling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.