Diesel Place banner

went with a bigger mpg nozzle

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  lotsofmiles 
#1 ·
Swapped out the mpg nozzle on my snow mpg/max kit.

Standard is 175 iirc, and I put in a 275.

Filled up today in Wind Gap PA and ran i80 all the way to I69 in IN and filled up again.

Before filling up I plugged in efi and it showed 14 gallons remaining from my 34 gallon tank. Actually took 23.5 gallons for 573 miles for 24.3mpg. And about 7-8 gallons of 15%meth

Not my best mpg, but a good starting point.

Might get a bit better coming out of winter fuel and if I could get my cruise control working again. I find myself speeding often with no cruise.

BTW the trip took about a total of 8.5 hours time. Stopped for about 20 minutes at exit 42 in PA. (What, I went to Subway), and again for about 15 minutes at one of the service plazas in OH. So my avg speed was at least 70.

#2 · (Edited)
Sorry, forgot to add:

Meth was set to come on at 0 and max 100% at 10 psi. Works good on the eway just dont forget to turn up the on point if you get into traffic or off the eway and idle at a stop.

Tune on the ecm was almost stock. Idle was turned down to 650/660 cant remember which. open vanes at idle. And a mild turbo brake, starts slowing the truck at about 1500-1600 rpms and down to 1000 rpm

Banks was on 6 for the trip

#8 ·
I hit 27 once. maybe tailwinds, maybe pump was wrong. havent been able to repeat it. 25 was pretty avg all summer.

I just swapped nozzles, didnt mod it any.

What are you running in your ride? Not up on the abbreviations so I don't quite get the sig. What tranny? Any other things besides methanol?

Thanks and sorry for my dumb questions
Truck is a 2007 chevy silverado classic 3500, crew cab, long bed, 2 wheel drive with Banks 6 gun, Banks Intake with the super scoop and the Banks boost tube. EGR is blocked. Diamond eye downpipe into 4inch straight piped exhaust. Snow Stage 3 MPG-MAX water/meth injection. Tonneau cover. I think the truck is almost broke in with about 247,000 miles on it now.

#14 ·
Ok I did the first trip with the bigger nozzle and had 'normal' consumption, then added the psi gauge and found the tank filter was clogged.

Cleaned the filter and made a few more trips. While I really like the extra cooling from the 275 as my mpg nozzle that thing is thirsty. I couldn't get the consumption below 7 gallons in 200 miles. The most consumption was the entire 7 gallon tank in just over 100 miles!! It was nice moving down the highway with 7-8000 lbs at egts staying in the 800's.
So I'm pulling the 275 out. It was an interesting experiment

#15 ·
Is there any disadvantages to lowering the idle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.