Diesel Place banner

What would help the most?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Robby Avery 
#1 ·
I have an Isuzu FTR that weighs 15k empty and loaded at about 25-26k. I run about 25k miles a year in it. It is low on power and gets 8 mpg avg loaded and unloaded. The truck runs at full throttle on almost any hill and going up longs hills like Monteagle in Tennessee, it slows down to 30-35 mph in third gear. Would propane help with all these problems, or would something like meth be better. My truck has the 7.8L Isuzu diesel and Allison At545 auto.

#4 ·
I vote for propane. I could set you up with a system that would only deliver above a certain load if you want to conserve the lp just for the heaviest load.

#5 ·
The water/meth system will give you a good amount of hp while pulling up the hills, lower EGTs, and increased fuel economy from a more complete diesel fuel burn. Will also reduce carbon build up in intake. Propane will add some BTUs to the combustion process and add hp also. You will want to look into operating costs for price of propane vs w/m in your area. The W/M system can be filled with -20 to -25F window washer fluid available at most gas stations or walmart if you need to refile during travel.

We offer a 6 gallon tank which usually last about 450miles or now have available an 11 g tank that installs to the frame rail of the truck. Would need to check dimensions of the Isuzu first if you want to go that route.

#6 ·
Have you perfromed a engine tune-up by any chance? Like valve adj, replace air filter, replace fuel filter, so on and so fourth. Little thing like that will improve fuel milage and restore power back to orginal like new running engine. Also a synthetic type oil and ATF will create less friction, heat, and wear in the valvetrain, drivetrain, and bearings and bottom end. If the tune-up doesn't help any then look into alternate sources for bettering economy. Hope this helps and as always keep us updated.

#8 ·
It's due a fuel filter change, but even after one it's always been low on power. I've had it since 100k and now it has 170k. I was thinking about straight piping it, but I'm afraid the drone would drive me crazy. The truck only has 200 hp and 520 tq, so I know I shouldn't expect much for a truck that weighs 15k empty. An extra 40 hp and 100 tq would be nice.

There's plenty of room to put a propane tank. How long would a 100 lb tank past?

#7 ·
i agree with what robby avery said, do you have any gauges installed to know boost and exhaust gas tempature(EGT). i would think your truck is stock right now and if you could get gauges on now, latter when you are trying other things it will give you a base tocompare and make decision's on. i would go with a propane system, check out marcdeluca's website he has kits for various engines and alot of seat time using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.