Diesel Place banner

Nitrous any1??

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  calereeves 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anybody was using it with a halo(or whatever its called) on there intercooler to keep temps down

#2 ·
If your going to use it for cooling why not just injected it into the motor direct? You will gain more performance and get the cooling to go along with it. Just do not get carried away as you will find that a little goes along way.

#3 ·
its always made me a little nervous after watching all the videos of cars blowing up from it.. I would also assume that you need to change the tune.. and how hard will it be be tune it for N2O?
Looking on forums for years i never really see any1 running with n2o.. i was wondering if there is a reason..People just dont like it? Money? what???

#4 ·
A small shot of NOS will require very few if any changes on a small tune. As long as you follow the rules and keep the amount down it works great.

#5 ·
like a 50 shot small? or ??

#6 ·
What does it require to run N2O on a Diesel? I know quite a bit about it on a Gasser, but never messed with it on a diesel. I know you run a dry shot, but what needs attention on the tuning side?

#7 ·
This is just my way of tuning and I do create a lot of excessive work for myself but that's the methodology in my world.

You just need to know a few things first to have a "safe" nitrous tune.

1) How many bottles delivering the nitrous? PSI fall-off at end of track
2) How many stages? Controlled delivery at higher rpm's
3) Location of nozzles? Impact of hit
4) Delay of delivery? Move to higher RPM
5) Progressive? Control volume at low rpm
6) Bottle pressure? Potency of nitrous
7) WOT rpm shift points? Keep in higher rpm's
8) Total volume of nitrous per run? Ratio to fuel/air (turbo)
9) Current EGT's at WOT without nitrous? Fuel content
10) Fuel added for nitrous? Controls burn speed
11) Peak Tq point in rpm before nitrous? (Dyno) Control peak Tq location
12) HP curve on graph? (Dyno) Jet size / timing on map location
13) EOT during run? Timing control
14) Turbo waste gate? Control shaft speed

or you can just back off a lot (-7 to -9 deg) and start moving back up and you should settle at around -3 / -5 deg in general if you have all the data above documented and feel that you are not causing pressure spikes too low in the rpm range. Just take time to get it dialed in and the more time you spend with minor changes the less it will cost in replacing broken parts.

#10 ·
Is there some what a standard for pulling timing? I know on my gas motors, I pull like 2* for every 50hp of nitrous.

#11 ·
No...on a PSD. Tuning changes that need to be made for nitrous in the area of fuel delivery will alter the spray characteristics of the atomization. This will effect timing as well as adding more O2 into the cylinder. If you are already burning all your fuel then adding nitrous will not effect the power or timing (not enough to worry about) so more fuel is needed. How you address the additional fuel delivery can effect timing on it's own. I don't know on a Dmax or Cummins since I have never worked with the fuel system or tuning.

#13 ·
I've got a NX kit sitting in the garage to go on my DMax, but I've been too scared (I like to think it's prudence, but in reality I'm just a little scared) to put it on the truck until I get a full-tilt tranny put in. I'm headed to Iraq in April, so I think when I get back from there, that'll be order of business number uno. Good luck running it on your truck, and be sure not to be stingy with the details if you start playing with it! We need a good play-by-play of a 1st time nitrous user!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.