Diesel Place banner

Propane Injection

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  henryhill 
#1 · (Edited)
There seems to some serious misconceptions out there about propane injection on a diesel engine. Power gains can safely reach nearly 25% (24% measured) and with the right equipment can be applied to either turbo or non-turbo engines, the limitation is the equipment. Diesel consumption can also be reduced ( relaced by lower cost propane ) to nearly 30% on some setups. Many economy systems out there like the Bullydog, Red Rooster, Prins, DFS and others uses vapor propane from the tank with a basic BBQ regulator. Some of these systems have a secondary control that meters propane with boost. The serious drawbacks to these systesm is that they have limited control and most will not work without at least 5 lbs of boost so that rules out non-turbo installs. Also there is an inherent danger drawing vapor from a tank in a moving vehicle as if any liquid was to ever get up the line ( from either fuel slosh or overfilling the tank ) you can say good-bye to your turbo and engine. All of these systems also inject propane pre-turbo so your entire intake system ( hoses, turbo, intercooler ) is charged with a combustable mixture, not overly safe if you had a front end collision. I came across a super cheap system that used a BBQ bottle and a manual valve - yee haw cooter.

If you are considering to do it right you should consider a system that uses liquid from the tank and has a proper vaporizer. This delivers more consistant volume and also eliminates the chance of liquid ever getting into the intake. There are three systems that work this way, the unit from the TS Performance which has serious limitation as there is no adjustments, just whatever they setup in the regulator based on turbo boost. It is quite obvious that different size engines and mods will require different proportions of propane to give proper results. Another drawback is that you need to manually switch it on only after the engine is at operating temperature ( they say 200 degrees that sounds rather high !). Although this system is safe agains liquid entering the engine, it has serious drawbacks in setup.

The Diesel Magnum is a more sofisicated system, however again only injects pre-turbo which has that inherent safety issue. The system is laptop programmable based on boost pressure only. Again this system also does not have any engine tempertaure control other than your finger. Certainly better than anything previously mentioned though.

The best system I have found is the EcoDiesel System from Technocarb, which has seemed to adress all the shortcomings of all the others. This unit has laptop programming that has a comprehensive dual axis map that not only uses boost but RPM as well so it can map full engine loads. For non-turbo apps it maps TPS vs RPM. The unit also is selfcalibrating based on your engine displacement and number of cylinders ( anything form 2.5L to 20L ) so it will generate a base map that will run right out of the box. After install, the base configuration and options only tals 3 -4 minutes to setup. From there the map can be custom tuned to your needs. The unit can be left on at all times as it will automatically enable when engine water temp exceeds 100 degrees. The unit also monitors the EGT temp so it can do a safety shutdown of the propane system if temps get too high ( basically from having it cranked too high if you decide to play around ). This unit also helps conserve propane as it can be set to shut off during decel where you don't necessarily need propane flowing through the engine. You can opt to leave it on if you want as in can enhance engine brake efficiency, the choice is yours. Has many more features and it is proabaly better for you to take a look at the info directly.

Like anything worthwhile, the more sophisticated you got the higher the price, however if you consider what your engine is worth, especially if you have modified it, then that helps make the choice. Systems ( without tanks ) range from $650.00 to $ 2700.00 or so. From what I have seen with this technology you definately get what you pay for, cheap is cheap.

Henry

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me guess... You are selling this system?

#4 ·
I am actually doing some homework to choose a good system for my truck. I have read a number of posts on the topic and see alot of contradictory info, therefore I have taken time to understand what is out there in fairly good detail and thought I would pass on my findings for FYI. I took the time to explain the most promising unit (so far ) in greater detail than the others. I can see where you may have gotten the idea I am trying to sell something. Nothing for sale here only free info if you like.

#6 ·
The kit your refering to dosent have anything more to offer than the setup from MSD. Its fully laptop programable and is progressive according to RPM, Boost, and throttle position.

If you actually did any "homework" on this subject you would have had to have seen this setup........my guess is your selling technocarb. :(

#5 ·
I am still a few months away from releasing an electronic controller for my system. But even without electronics, I don't have much trouble running 3 parts lp to 1 part diesel. The downside to lp is that it is difficult to buy it cheap enough for it to cut cost per mile. If it is 2/3 the price of diesel, you break even, since a gal of lp only has 2/3 the energy of diesel. BTW, mine is liquid withdrawal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.