Diesel Place banner

Comparsion of water/meth injection systems

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  URDONE 
#1 ·
ok, so, snow performance is pretty much dominating this market, but are they the best? and if they are, which stage system is the best to use? is the extra money for the maxx system worth it, or can you get just the same kind of advantages from the other systems?

#2 ·
Snow works exellent and as advertised, the max system is more finely tuned with 2 stages of injection for driving in all conditions,because of that it may be the better one. while the other systems are better suited for racing or pulling as the conditions are mostly the same, but i have used them all for racing in the past and they all work great.

Customer service is top notch

#3 ·
thanks alot, i was leaning more towards the maxx, just wondering a bit. thanks alot (any more opinions or knowledge will be appreciated as well)

#5 ·
I'd take a look at Labonte Motorsports's Stage 3 kit. Its cheaper than the Snow MPG and very customizable. I've been running the stage 3 for a year and it has worked great. Lower egts, better mileage, and depending on how much methanol I add, the truck will make between 620 and 700+ rwhp.

#6 ·
how much better mileage are we talking? and does it do the same things that the snow system does?

#8 ·
There are some fundamental flaws with using EGTs as a base variable into the control of a water/meth injection system. First off, such as system is reactive. EGTs are a result of the combustion process, not a factor that influences the process. Water-meth injection has an effect on the combustion process which results in lower EGTs. So deriving a control variable from a data point that is a response of the outcome results in an oscillatory behavior of the system leading to poor system response and ineffective control.

Also EGTs can be squewd by a number of factors. The type of exhaust system used can result in lower EGTs by allowing more free flowing air. Also the placement of the EGT probe itself will have an effect and can result in variances of 100s of degrees between locations.

Let tank an example: a 5.0L diesel and a 6.0L diesel engine can each be set up to make the same amount of hp and roughly have the same EGTs as an output of the combustion process. If a small turbo is used on the 6.0L, the Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) can be greater then the 5.0L and it be a less efficient engine. Without knowing this, an EGT based water injection system will spray the same amount of fluid into each motor of this example resulting in lower gains on the 6.0L compared to the 5.0L since the EGT controlling variable can be about the same in each yet the engine operation is significantly different.

The DIS-S3 from Labonte MotorSports uses a proactive design in the system to base the amount of water-meth injection on exact fueling going into the engine. By reading the Fuel Injector pulse and the boost pressure from the turbo, our algorithm calculates the exact amount to spray in all load states. The system also has specific mapping developed for various diesel engines. With the DIS-S3, the user will select the type of engine on the Display unit resulting is specific parameters to be used for that diesel engine.

With the DIS-S3 the user can get more exact control of the water-meth injection then an EGT based system. This results in greater gains from the system and optimizing fluid usage.

http://www.labontemotorsports.com/store/ccp0-prodshow/DIS-S3.html

#9 ·
WOW111...so that pretty much sums it up for me then.. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.