Diesel Place banner

where to put propane tank

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  1adamb 
#1 ·
Okay, so I just bought a 1989 K3500 Dually, and the motor and TH400 have around 30,000 miles on them. I bought this because I have a heavy slide in truck camper and pull a 26' boat.

Anyhow, it has a ATS turbo setup, and now I'm looking at propane systems. Question is, I need my bed for the truck camper, where to mount the propane bottle?

I was kinda thinking about using a standard 20 lp bottle in the bed, but make it removable, and when camper is in the bed which also has lp tanks, just somehow hook it to the camper's lp system.

What do you guys think?

Otherwise, I was wondering if somebody makes a propane bottle that would fit in between the side of the bed and inner wheel wells. The truck camper is only 4' wide and slides between the wheel wells so a permanate skinny bottle would work too.

Oh, is ATS propane the best or what do you guys recommend.

#2 ·
There used to be pencil tanks that did exactly what you need. They went over the wheel well but under the camper. You probably would have better luck putting two 8 gal forklift tanks where the spare goes and installing a remote fill so you don't have to remove them. I assume you want to use lp for extra power? If so, only use it when you really need it and you can get alot of miles out of a tank.

#4 ·
^x2. not trying to rob your thread, just found the info interesting also. does anyone make an under body tank, possibly mounted longways against the frame rail??

#5 ·
Manchester tank makes alot of sizes, but they are very expensive and they don't stock them; they build them when ordered. There are alot of used lp tanks around, I would check with your local lp companies. Alot of them have taken systems off trucks and have tanks sitting around.

#6 ·
Isuzu and Chevy have made cab forward trucks that run on straight propane with frame mounted saddle tanks in various sizes. may be a local parts yard may have one of these trucks. might have to find a HD truck parts yard.

#7 ·
It depends what type of system you go with. Manchester makes a 10x32 8 gallon frame mounted tank for vapor. They stock most sizes of the RV vapor tanks, but they are pricey at about $375. But they mount right up in the frame, on a Duramax in between the fuel tank and the transfer case, on the 89, you can check if it would fit. It should. They also make an 8 x42, size.

#8 ·
"I was kinda thinking about using a standard 20 lp bottle in the bed, but make it removable, and when camper is in the bed which also has lp tanks, just somehow hook it to the camper's lp system."

From someone who built his own Propane injection for $100 I'd say go for it but then that is me! (Details of mine are on this board)

I mounted my bottles where my spare tire is suppose to be in the suburban. I would think that you should be able to mount one in the bed, remove it when you put the camper in, and tie it into the camper LP.

The flexible propane lines and equipment are all available online. I have now run about 15K miles on my setup and it works extremely well.

As always safety 1st. ( I don’t know the legality of it either but with a proper cover who is gonna know?)

#9 ·
ctamblin, does you system need a vapor or liquid propane delivery? I was told by marcdeluca (above) that his system (which I'll probably buy) needs the liquid propane and the bbq bottle won't work for that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.