Diesel Place banner

New CNG system developments

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  cad4881 
#1 ·
I have a prototype microcontroller working on my Dmax. I am able to more accurately control gas flow, thereby improving diesel mileage. According to scanner data, highway fuel consumption is approximately 16 oz/hr, regardless of speed, if the pedal isn't pressed more than 50%. This calculates to the upper 400 mpg area. Last week I made a trip into West Virginia and back, 314 miles, on 1.5 gal of #2. There was some very hilly stop and go on the trip. At light load, even in mountains, it is achieving 96% cng operation. I am now incorporating detonation sensing and egt sensing and fuel cutback capability. As close as I can tell, the cng mileage appears to be in the 16 mpg area. Running on free gas from our home well, not counting compressing cost, this gets me under 1¢/mi. More than a cng converted gasoline engine, which would be zero, but I have the benefits that the diesel provides.

#2 ·
Marc, that is amazing. I keep following you on this method. I just do not know where to get cng in the 60047 zip code. I am driving less since business is down but your systems certainly gets mileage.

#3 ·
The only station close to you is in Des Plaines. I filled up there in May. It is $2.19, no good deal. Also, they don't take credit cards and you have to apply for their card. I had to have some one meet me there and pay in exact cash when I was passing through.

#4 ·
Marc,

That is great. I have been watching for some better control for CNG injection before I decide to make the conversion. I'm in Utah and have two stations ten minutes from my house in either direction. With the low costs of CNG here and diesel prices going up this is looking very attractive. I'll be eagerly watching for you to let us know when you get the EGT, detonation, and defueling worked out. Once thats in place, I'm sold. :thumb:

#6 ·
compress your own gas at home?

Why not sell some to utilities?

#8 ·
Free CNG

You lucky dog! The truck is running great so whenever your ready we can test the big gun. Jeff

#9 ·
So is CNG safe to run? I was looking at some of those kits you can buy to install the tank and regulator, although expensive, It would be nice to get the mileage up there. What about detonation? Is there anything to worry about as long as its regulated correctly

#12 ·
Zimmerman: I am local to you (Clinton Township). I have been running Marc's 1 generation kit since August 2008. Works great. I fill at DTE's Public CNG Stations for $1.95/GGE. If you are interested in seeing the CNG kit on my 2001 DMax in person, let me know or give Marc a call.....

#10 ·
My mechanical system doesn't give enough gas to cause detonation. The electronic one will, but has detonation sensing to cut back the gas if it occurs. Check out cngprices.com to see if there is a station anywhere near you. I think there is someone near you that has my system. If you are interested in seeing it, let me know and I'll give you his contact info.

#11 ·
Marc: Send me a PM with some options regarding your products. I live in Calif, and according to the new smog inspections, any aftermarket equipment will cause you to fail...even though your product will increase efficiency. They're only interested in the extra tax......With Honda bankrupting the Phill company I haven't found another option to compress the natural gas at my house. I have CNG stations available, but the fuel prices at their pump is close to the price of diesel....

#13 ·
Any developments on this microcontroller? Also wondering who is the distributor in Southern Utah?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.