Diesel Place banner

Need: Help/advice/imput

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  hondarider552 
#1 ·
hey guys first off Ill let ya know what Im running for a tunner, I got the ATS E power tunner set on level 8 its a 315hp tune. Truck runs great, but... at WOT the EGT guage scares me! The needle maxes out at times and Ive been told not to run em over 1200-1300.. so... Solution to this? Ive been thinking about a water/meth kit to lower the EGT's. Now what Im having problems with is ALL the brands!!! Ive been thinking about the Labonte system, but then there is Snow Performance, AEM, Pro Parts Spek, and Ebay brands... All have a big price tag on them and I know you get what you pay for but what kit do you think is best for me! Im asking for Help or imput from anyone who has a kit or knows about them. I dont know much about them or diesel trucks for that matter, I have a built suncoast trans so I know the truck can handle it, and Im showing anywhere from 18-24PSI with stock tune, and 25-32 with the bigger tunes, I would wanna be able to have fun on the streets with this stuff because I know some of you guys say it is addicitve haha, but thats the thing, if Im gonna spend the money on this I wanna be able to have fun with it all the time! Also, with the bigger tunes I notice my truck kinda cuts out in the Higher RPM ranges it says it rec modifided fuel system, Is that somthing i should look into as well?? lookin at an air dog 100 and a PPE billet pick up.. PLEASE HELP!

#2 ·
Id go with the Labonte system if you go the W/M direction.. Id also send the lil extra money and grab a AD 150. Im not running a billet P/U and not havent any problems. Also to help drop your EGTs there is the option of a bigger down pipe. RickDLance has uppipes and headers. 1200/1300 isnt all that bad aslong as you dont hold it there.

#4 ·
Another vote for the Airdog 150 and Labonte. Might want to get the PPE ported fuel rail fitting and the FRPV shimmed to fix your fueling issues. I was having the same problem with the PPE on the 300hp setting, Got the lift pump and the fitting and fix the rail pressure problems at higher speeds. Go with Labonte, they're inexpensive, good support, and it works awesome.

#5 · (Edited)
I like the Snow, but have had problems with using a ton of water/meth. Upgraded to MPG max from their stage III system, but its not cost effective. Personally, I like the egt probe so it only injects when temps get hot enough and not otherwise. There are two modes with one serving double duty 1) MPG/Horse Power mode and 2) EGT mode. The only downside on programming right now is you cannot select the Max boost in the MPG/HP mode. The system operates in MPG mode till a predetermined amount of boost (user selectable) is reached and it goes into HP mode. the other funny thing is that MPG mode is not the EGT control mode. They are two different modes! You must navigate a long menu to change between the two modes. If I want good mpg while towing, I also at the same time want EGT control FOR TOWING. I'd think most people would want good MPG while towing and keeping EGT in check at the SAME time.
With the max boost setting in HP, you don't know when it will reach max. I can set when to start injecting in mgp (3psi) and when to inject fully in mgp (20psi), and I can pick when it switches over to the hp mode (20psi), but who knows when its injecting 100% in the hp mode since I cannot set the max. They say its 8-10 psi or "SO". Well, If I make 34 psi boost, then its max "could be" 28 psi. I"d like 100% at 34 not 28. If I don't want it to go into hp mode until 26 psi, then it may never reach max injection at 34 psi. Couple limitations in the system that could easily be upgraded via software if they wanted to. They were very helpful in setting it up; good service. However, they did have some knowledge issues. When I was using the supplied MPG nozzle, like 225ml, it was injecting an entire gallon within 20 miles!!! They stated over and over again I have a leak, the nozzle cannot physically flow that much. Well, I did a capture test and put the nozzle in an empty bottle insted of the engine and at 20 miles, it was full. So every drip was being injected. I went with a 100ml or so nozzle which now, on a good day (not too often at all) I can hit 80 miles on a gallon. Still not cost effective in the MPG mode.
Also, you cannot control when the system starts injecting in the EGT mode. I think it is about 1000. However, if I run a hot tune, I might want it to inject earlier to stop the quick EGT rise. If I have a good tune and at WOT it never really get over 1300 degrees, then maybe I don't want to start injecting to like 1250 to save fluid. Unfortunately, the temp is not selectable.
I really don't think I should have spent a ton of $ to upgrade from the stage III to the Stage III with the MPG function since it doesn't work well and is not cost effective at all. If you go snow, I'd stay away from the MPG max system.
I do like the small controller. Stylish, replaces boost, egt, and injection amount gauges with one. Customer service is also great.

#6 ·
Yeah they do have good customer service. But I had my pump go out just after three months. Also talked with them about a system to add onto the MaxMPG so when ya flip a switch it gives ya 100% flow instantly. Probably going to look into that more. The lil extra MPG is a plus but Im more after it for the cooling and HP. Neither of the three has impressed me yet. Mabey it was that pump. Im wanting to get strapped on a dyno and see some number. If Im not happy with that probably going to dump their system and go with Labonte system.

#7 ·
My vote goes for the Labonte system. I've got one and love it, wired a toggel to it so I can decide when i want it armed or off. What year truck do you have? I'd go with the FPRV also... I'm about to try out the ported fuel rail fitting myself... also when I used to race my truck I've pegged the gauge out and beyond... like 2000+ threw the lights... that didn't make me happy.. the best thing I've found that helped so far is the LBZ mp and the water meth... now my egt's are around 1600 at the lights. I'm seeing a diamond eye down pipe and a bd manofold in my near future, or maybe if I rob a bank a set of MPI twins. :D good luck

#8 ·
My vote goes for the Labonte system. I've got one and love it, wired a toggel to it so I can decide when i want it armed or off. What year truck do you have? I'd go with the FPRV also... I'm about to try out the ported fuel rail fitting myself... also when I used to race my truck I've pegged the gauge out and beyond... like 2000+ threw the lights... that didn't make me happy.. the best thing I've found that helped so far is the LBZ mp and the water meth... now my egt's are around 1600 at the lights. I'm seeing a diamond eye down pipe and a bd manofold in my near future, or maybe if I rob a bank a set of MPI twins. :D good luck
I wouldnt really worry bout the BD manfol. I really wasnt impressed with it. If ya have the extra cash, Id get intouch with RickDLance or nwtdiesel about a set of his headers and up pipes. There is a couple of thread talking about em. Well worth the cash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.