Diesel Place banner

Under Bed Water/Meth Tank

13K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  URDONE 
#1 ·
We have been working with a number of suppliers to get an under the bed tank. Every time we got close to a solution, something changed with supplier and fell through.

So we are going to manufacture our own tank and attached is an inital drawing we would like to get members feedback on.

Tank measures 24" x 11" x 11" and will hold 12 gallons. Ignore the fitting on the top in this drawing rev. Tanks will be fabed with all the fittings needed so no drilling or taping. Will also have internal baffle.

This tank would fit in the front of the existing stock fuel tank on LB7. Do to the number of truck models would like to know from those looking into a tank if you have space underside to install.

Tank fill would be through a remote fill cup (with cap) that you can install about anywhere with line routed to tank (not shown)

Attachments

#3 ·
Dan, will this tank me plastic or metal?

#5 ·
What would make it fit lb7 vs lbz? My truck is 7,000 miles away and cannot measure.

#9 ·
Ill get a tape under mine this evening to see.

#13 ·
Any progress?

#19 ·
where have I been, threads over 2 months old and I havent seen it yet...

I really like the idea. 12 seems small, I'm hoping for a 20+.

Dan have you tried United Plastic in WI? I think Appleton area. Picked up a custom made tank for a firetruck there a few weeks ago. They will make just about any tank you want, was thinking about calling them myself for a custom meth tank

Not lookin at a map right now, but I might be going thru Rockford this week. More than happy to stop by with the lbz...

#20 ·
tanks measurements

the size of my tank is 14 3/8" L x15 3/8" w x 11 3/8" t. to get the full 10 gal. you want to take in account the thickness of metal that is reason for 3/8" on the measurements

#21 ·
the size of my tank is 14 3/8" L x15 3/8" w x 11 3/8" t. to get the full 10 gal. you want to take in account the thickness of metal that is reason for 3/8" on the measurements
Did you make the tank or buy it? Also where ya have it mounted.

#22 ·
tank

i built the tank, it is mounted to the driver's side frame rail behind the t-bar crossmember

Attachments

#23 ·
Nice....I give it......:thumb::thumb:.......Was there any room left for a bigger tank?

#24 ·
i could have made it bigger if i designed the mounting system for the tank differently but i thought that was the most sound and trouble free design. not a big fan of the tank falling off at 70 mph. also i would have to start moving fuel lines to clear the tank.

#30 ·
Thanks. Been looking into having a tank made to go under that rear. Now I have a way to fill it without cutting the bed.

#31 ·
i thought it was a pretty slick set-up. when mounting the filler i drilled two hole and used a couple 1/4" rivet nut inserts instead of drilling and tapping the bed side .
i used 5/8" heater hose and a 1/8" vent hose with a mushroom cap vent off an old 76 blazer.

#33 ·
Here is an update on the under the bed tank. Prototype is in the works and should have a unit to finalize fitment shortly. After any final tweeks production units will be available. Looking about end July for production units.

Attached is a CAD drawing of the updated design. Tank will install on passenger side frame rail. If you really wanted some extra capacity you could install a 2nd tank on the other side;)

Attachments

#41 ·
Here is an update on the under the bed tank. Prototype is in the works and should have a unit to finalize fitment shortly. After any final tweeks production units will be available. Looking about end July for production units.

Attached is a CAD drawing of the updated design. Tank will install on passenger side frame rail. If you really wanted some extra capacity you could install a 2nd tank on the other side;)
I have to say that I really like the idea of putting it on the passenger side....now I am really interested.

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.