Diesel Place banner

GM Tech 2 - Who owns one?

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  terryk 
#1 ·
To Clone or not to Clone that's the question.

I'm in the market for a GM Tech 2 for mostly diagnostic functions and will only be used on my 2003 LB7 D'Max (for me anyway).

I have looked on eBay for an original GM Tech 2 and the ones I have found are still a little pricey IMO. I have research the Clone Tech 2 and that seems to be a crap shoot for $350 but a lot of people are saying theirs (Clones) works just fine. Still in the hunt for a true GM Tech 2 but am starting to lean towards a Clone.

Any of you guys bought a Clone and what do you think about it? Also why do the Clone websites say auto only no trucks??????????????????????

Thanks
Dennis

#2 ·
I bought my clone on eBay. Took 3 attempts to get one that worked right. The first 2 would just reboot when you tried to do certain functions. In the end, it was the PCMCIA card that stores the program.

So it was a hassle, but eventually got a good working one for way less than a real one costs. The seller covered all the shipping, so I can't complain too much.

#10 ·
Can anybody shed some light on which clone tech II they bough and happy with, all the websites mention offer several different ones to choose from

#13 · (Edited)
HTML:
n
While it works perfect on my other GM cars, on my 05 LLY, 9 times out of 10 it will say “Possible wrong vehicle selected” when I select some function like Vane Position or Vane Learn, etc. I just keep hitting enter and it finally holds and let’s me change whatever but it will often bail out after a minute or so. Even just scanning for data fails often. BCM, TCM and ABS seem to work more often than not. Not sure what is going on. It’s like something is interrupting it or talking when it shouldn’t. I shut off the radio, HVAC and don’t mess with anything on the bus. Tune is stock. WiFi or USB doesn’t matter. The WiFi feature is nice! No cable. Running under 32bit Windows 7.

Again, on my HHR SS and Pontiac stuff, it’s rock solid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.