What Chip Or Programmer - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > First Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

First Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners Discuss 2001-2004 LB7 Duramax engine electronic upgrades including chips, tuners, programmers, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
03BLACKBEAUTY
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

What Chip Or Programmer

I Have An 03 Lb7 Completely Stock What Would Be A Good Chip Or Programmer To Purchase? I Don't Want To Have To Change A Lot Of Stuff On The Truck. I Pull A Big Fifth Wheeler And Just Want A Little More Power Is That Possible Without Changing A Lot Of Stuff? I Don't Know A Lot About These Things Other Than What I Hear. Thanks Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
shaydog
Diesel Nut

Mike,

If you are not looking for speed or "big" power check out the Hypertech programmer. It has (3) levels and they claim that you can use it while towing on any level. At a minimum I would get a pyro. Good Luck.

Shaydogg- 03 LB7- Suncoast IV w/ 1056, AFE Stage 2, ATS E-Power, 4" Banks Exhaust, KD Boost Valve, 6" RCD w/billstein, airbags, 35" BFG M/T's, 18" wheels, Snug Top, Line X, Westin running boards, Kong MKI Train Horns, Prodigy brake controller, billet grill, rocker panel, 07 towing mirrors, 08 HD emblems and 20% tint.

94K miles new pitman arm
104K miles all injectors replaced
107K miles Suncoast install
109K miles new head, head gaskets and injector sleeves.....It's been an expensive 15K miles
111K miles #6 injector fails, covered under warranty.

'66 mustang
'02 VE 800
'04 Yamaha Rhino
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
1lowdiesel
Diesel Expert

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1lowdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaydog View Post
Mike,

If you are not looking for speed or "big" power check out the Hypertech programmer. It has (3) levels and they claim that you can use it while towing on any level. At a minimum I would get a pyro. Good Luck.
i agree the hypertech would be a great choice just for that reason, you cna tow on any level, now when you say you don't wanna have to change a bunch of stuff, is a cat back exhaust out of the question?
05 LLY 4" Volant front pipe to single 6" Black Stack, Home built GT3788r over s475, up pipes and pedistal, AirDog II, AEM Filter, custom 4link air ride suspension, DJM upper and lower control arms, Mcgaughys spindles, Raceline CR2s

Last edited by 1lowdiesel; 03-04-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Unknown303
Diesel Head

I have only tried the Predator but have really liked its performance on all of its levels. Plus i can vouch for the 40hp tow tune never getting dangerously hot.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
foreman00081
Diesel Nut

Send a message via AIM to foreman00081 Send a message via Yahoo to foreman00081

CNY Diesel Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaydog View Post
Mike,

i agree also, ive been running my hypertech on level 3 which adds approx. 100 HP for 2 years now and its a great tuner especially if you want something thats safe and wont jepordize your tranny. really makes the truck fun to drive too and is great for pulling. ive pulled 8K lbs on level 3 with no problems and im still not even running a pyro, (ya i know, not the best idea, just havent gotten around to getting one yet) other things i like about it is that you can adjust the speedo and change tire sizes, also can check codes on any OBDII vehicle. now that i had the tranny built though im going bigger prolly with the new ATS or a PPE Hot ET so the hypertech should be up for sale really soon...
'03 GMC Sierra Crew Cab short bed Duramax LB7, 4x4, custom black and silver 2 tone paint, 6" Full Traction lift, 20" chrome ice metal rims with 37/13.5/20 Toyo MT's. other mods: AEM Brute Force intake, tint, kenwood cd...
ATS E-POWER TUNER set on level 9 for now
Merchantized Stage 3 tranny by Eric at MA
coming soon: exhaust, lift pump
450 HP / 750 TQ on superflo dyno 7/19/08 (ATS on level 10)

98 Honda Foreman 450ES 4x4, HMF pipe, K&N filter, jetted carb, 26" Super Swamper Vampire ASX tires
Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
rafcar
Glow Plug

I have the new Hypertech Programmer III, part# 30029. I have it set on level 1 for now, but I may bump it up to 2 when I get ready to pull my travel trailer. It's a very nice programmer. For a stock tranny though, it puts out a lot of power on level 3, IMO, but a lot of people have pulled pretty heavy on these LB7's with this programmer on lvl 3, just have to be very gentle on the truck.

2003 Silverado 2500HD LS CC Duramax/Allison 2WD White (SOLD)

2011 Keystone Raptor 3812 toy hauler

2005 Ezgo electric golf cart
Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
03BLACKBEAUTY
Diesel Student

Thanks Guy's For The Replies But What Does Everyone Mean When They Say Pyro? Maybe A Stupid Question But I Really Don't Know Too Much About These Programmers.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Soupys 4X4
Diesel Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Soupys 4X4

Your pyro is just a exhaust gas temperature probe that taps into your passenger side manifold to keep track of the EGT's your motor is puttin out. When you are only runnin a little bit of extra horse you wouldnt need it, but since you are gonna be pullin your fifth wheel i would put one in. I dont know if you have looked into the Edge chips yet, but i have one and like it. It is straight forward plug in the trucks harness under the hood, if you want to get the full 125 hp then it also comes with the EGT probe. It has a monitor you install in the cab to monitor everything EGT's, Engine temp, Tranny temp. Also unlike the some of the other chips edge will backdown if the egts are starting to read high Like pulling the fifth wheel up a big hill. The other chips will just tell you that you are readin high EGT's and you should probably back off. Edge is pretty bullet proof no matter how you drive with on the fly adjustment from 30hp-125hp.
2003 Silverado 2500HD LB7 rc/lb 4x4 / PPE Hot+2 / PPE boost fitting / Jeg's 4" exhaust w/6" tip / Merchant's Stage 3 Transmission w/Precision Industries converter / SD sleeves / Cognito P/I arm Braces / Fabtech 6" w/35's
Regular Cab Club Member #67

Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
knduff7
Freeze Plug

Edge Juice with Attitude monitor. Lots of adjustability awesome power gains. I have had mine on since the truck was brand new.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
jbs1122
Diesel Student

OK Diesel Truck Club Member

Although the timing is not as smooth as the six gun or edge juice, the hypertech is a great tool for the money and it is easy to use and read dtc's. After having troubles with the Edge and always disliking six guns, I went to EFI live but for what your goals are, the hypertech should be the ticket and keep your tranny safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in