LMM: Live Data Scan Tool Interfering with Programmers - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Fourth Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Fourth Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners Discuss 2007.5-2010 LMM Duramax engine electronic upgrades including chips, tuners, programmers, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Virtue
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Live Data Scan Tool Interfering with Programmers

Hi!

I had a glow plug code this morning (p0676-GP 6 control circuit), i cleared it with my edge tuner and drove to work without it re appearing. I figured its most likely a GP but wanted to confirm.

Before heading home for lunch, I hooked up my scan tool (snap on modis ultra) and started viewing live data from the engine. About halfway home my edge tuner gave a speed warning of 159mph...i clicked menu- which silenced the speed warning alarm...it went to gauge display and i noticed 0 coolant temp, and 8~ ecm volts. The truck was driving and running fine. (edit: it may be worth noting that the instrument panel did not reflect the same data, its showed ~45 mph, ~14 v, ~140 F temp.)

I pulled over, parked, and the truck wouldn't turn off! I get it shut down, disconnect the scan tool, and truck restarts fine but has a DTC (P0336 -CPS circuit performance) I turned the truck off, clear the DTC, restart the truck and head home....

I haven't seen any abnormal data from the edge or a DTC since. I have no experience using live data scan tools on programmer modified diesels, is this normal?

( PICTURES OF DTC's and EDGE) : Duramax - Album on Imgur )

THANKS !

Dave

Last edited by Virtue; 02-23-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Your 'tuner' normally stays connected to the ODBII port to display the engine parameters, right? I would completely disconnect it before hooking up the live scan tool, as there is no guarantee it will work right with multiple devices trying to get live data at the same time [as that is what the 'tuner' is also doing to display things like speed and engine temp].

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Virtue
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Your 'tuner' normally stays connected to the ODBII port to display the engine parameters, right? I would completely disconnect it before hooking up the live scan tool, as there is no guarantee it will work right with multiple devices trying to get live data at the same time [as that is what the 'tuner' is also doing to display things like speed and engine temp].
The edge doesnt connect to the obdII port, unless the obd is spliced behind the connector. I hooked my scan tool to the obd connector. I purchased the truck with the edge, I've never put one of the diesel programers in, so I'm not sure what it's tapped into.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in