Medium Duty manifolds and up pipes - Page 6 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Other Performance Discussion
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Other Performance Discussion Anything not covered by the other performance forums.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #51 (permalink)
RaceHemi
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Why not just buy Rick's stuff? Sure they cost a little more but those Kodiak up pipes fit like absolute ****!

04 2500, LLY/A, 4x4, CC, SB, 285 Toyo Open Country AT's on Chrome H2's, Amsoil lubes, Access Roll-up Tonneau, ATS Stage 2 trans, ATS 5 Star Converter, Bilstein's, Caltracs bars, Cognito Braces, EFILive, Kennedy Diesel Custom Tuning, Kennedy Diesel headlight harness, Kennedy Dual Lift Pump/Filter combo, Prodigy brake controller, Spa DG 211, Trippin Cyclops overhead gauge mount, TTS 4" Exhaust, TTS Tow tune, Swiss Cheese OEM air box, Amsoil Ea filters, TxChristopher CAI
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #52 (permalink)
keith_2500hd
Diesel Champ

looking back ricks manifolds didn't exist when this thread started, but as soon as rick has the manifolds available, i now see ppe and ats have them.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:44 AM   #53 (permalink)
Dereknevada
Gear Grinder

Last night I cooked my LB7 and I can't afford to rebuild or buy a used one right now. I have to get my truck back on the road as soon as possible for work. A friend has offered to let me have his 7.8 Duramax out of his wrecked top kick. The motor has less than 100k! He is going to let me pay him for it over time and is going to help me do the swap. Can it be done? If so can you tune the 7.8's like you can the 6.6? Or should I just switch the tags and insurance back to my old Gasser? Thanks for any input, I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 04:04 AM   #54 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

It's an inline 6, weighing about 1400 lbs, vs the v8 @ around 800 lbs, and given how the v8 fills up the engine compartment, in particular not having a lot of extra space between the engine to firewall and engine to radiator, it probably would take a fair amount of work to move stuff around to make room for it, as well as to stiffen up the front end to handle the extra weight. And then you have to figure out how to get all the computers to work together.

I doubt this project would be compatible with your stated requirement of "I have to get my truck back on the road as soon as possible for work".
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 08-05-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:13 AM   #55 (permalink)
Dereknevada
Gear Grinder

That is why this diesel place is so awesome! I would have never thought of those issues. I would have been knee deep in trying to do it and getting more and more frustrated before I would have realized it wasn't going to fit probably. Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:18 AM   #56 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

If you want to know for sure, you'd need to measure the Duramax I-6, but I'm pretty sure there isn't enough extra space between your engine and radiator to stuff 2 more 5" pistons and still have room for a belt and fan in front of it, even if all the accessories and the water pump were mounted beside the motor.
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in