Diesel Place banner

Tech 2 or MDI???

16K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  terryk 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I know awhile ago we got into a discussion about chinese tech 2's in the Frankenstein forum. Thought id start a dedicated thread...

Myself and another member are bith interested in the tech 2 and mdi. Iv been reading steady for 2 days and im still not clear on this.

From what iv gathered the tech 2 with tis2000 is only good up too 2006. For anything newer you need a MDI.

Now do you need a subscription to use a mdi? Or only when you want to acually program a modual?

With a mdi, you can run tech2win and use it as if its a tech 2?

What im looking at specifically is to be able to manipulate moduals on a LMM truck. Be able to swap moduals or reprogram them to work together... Reprogram radios...clusters.... Ect.....

2nd part of my question is original vs chinese versions. Please dont come on here and just say chinese is junk... Please explain your experience...

Thanks guys, Skippie

See less See more
#2 ·
My China Tech2 has worked just fine for everything Ive asked of it. I found it will do diagnostics on my 2014 Cruze, too. Not sure how, but it does.

If you want to program any modules on 2012(?)-up, you have to have a MDI.

#3 ·
a tech2 is a scanner,,,an ''MDI'' is a pass-thru device[hooked to a laptop],,

a tech2 can be used as a ''pass-thru'' device too [but at 1/2-2/3rds speed],,you will still need to hook-up to ''ac delco-web site at $1400 per year or $55 per day to get any programming data for 2008 or newer cars/trucks

#8 ·
Interesting. I had no idea it could still work like that on the newer vehicles. I could live with the slower upload speed.

I just wish GM would update their software to use with Win10. Why they're using relatively ancient computer technology is beyond me.

#4 ·
Yes i relize the tech 2 is a handheld unit, and mdi is a thru unit. But from what iv read the tech 2 is useless on 2007 and new. So no good for me working on a LMM...

Skippie

#7 ·
I have a Chinese tech 2 and CANDi module. It has done well for me as a diagnostic tool on my 2009 LMM/Escalade ESV the "CadiMAX" (My Upfit Build Story on the frankenstein forum). I bought the subscription for $1400 and all I was able to do with it was to verify that the tech 2 had the latest firmware/software update. I was not able to get it to do any programming on my 2009 modules, so I requested a refund on the subscription.
Since then my tech 2 nolonger recognizes the CANDi module so I'm also looking at the idea of getting an MDI and just running Tech2software. Can anyone post a screenshot of how the newer MDI 2 looks when doing diagnostics via their laptop? (I'm hoping its a little more efficient than just a electronic version of the tech 2).

#10 · (Edited)
theres a ''mdi 2'' now from gm[sorry-they doubled in price in the last month to $1500],,look on ebay,,but my Chinese mdi 1 works great,,they say you need windows xp,but ive got mine to work on win 7

and you you can use a tech2 as a pas-thru to program 2013 car/trucks,,but you need a $55 sub to ''tech-to-win''[you buy it thru ''ac delco'' on-line

#11 · (Edited)
Yeah, I did that. Then found out my laptop had to run Win7pro for TIS2000/TIS2WEB to work correctly. I kept getting an error message when I tried it with Win10.
Ive just got to stop being lazy and reprogram my daughter's old laptop with 7pro, then use that as my "GM" computer.

#12 ·
The Chinese Tech 2 will mostly work and function like an original Genuine unit. Some are made better than others. The Clone software for the TIS 2000 will work up to 2008 and possibly some 2009 models. Sometimes they stop working correctly after using with OEM software for flashing or updates. which the Tech 2 is an end of live unit for diagnostics and is no longer updated.

The tech 2 with Candi module will work on some newer stuff I believe up to around 2014. But it will not work on everything as they they went to something called Global A and that's what required the MDI in order to flash.

I have used my Real tech 2 with the cloned software and it does seem to work fine. Mostly radios, clusters and ECU's

I have Never used a clone MDI or MDI 2 so I can not comment on that.

#13 ·
I've been pretty happy with my clone. It does spontaneously shut off on occasion, but it has worked well as a diagnostic device, and had mostly done it's job except for programming newer trucks. I hoped to get more than 2 years out of the CANDi module so that's disappointing.

#14 ·
my tech2 is flashed up to 2014 models - I have a real one not a clone.

After 2014 I think they changed diagnostic platforms.

#15 ·
If you guys didnt have either and were looking to buy which would you get? I like the handheld tech 2 for diagnostics but dont want to find out it cant do moduals say on a 09 dmax and ill need the mdi... I already have my laptop for efilive so its not like i have to get one...

Skippie

#17 · (Edited)
Using tech 2 as a diagnostic tool vs programming tool are two very differernt worlds.
Mine is flashed up to 2014 as well. The $1400 tis2web subscription confirmed that it already had the latest version of software (which I believe the newest release date was 2015) and has always had models UpTo 2014 in the selection list (although limited to mostly smaller cars)
When GM started using can-bus technology in their onboard networks they had to add the CANDi (Controller Area Network Diagnostic Interface) box inline to "interpret" this new GMlan "language" so the tech 2 could still be used used by dealerships for diagnostics and expand the useful life cycle of an expensive tool that many techs went to training on not to mention the massive data repository that GM has invested billions in over the years. But with the can-bus equipped vehicles (GMT-900 and beyond) which require the CANDi module, tech 2 is limited to exactly what the last two letters of the acronym mean "Diagnostic Interface". Which is why GM came out with the multi use MDI module in 2007 as the new platform that could program and diagnose all GMLAN can-bus vehichles.

The tech 2 works just fine as for passthrough programming on GMT-800 and older trucks, but once they went to the can-bus networks on the GMT-900 platform and beyond you need the MDI.
I'd love for someone to prove me wrong because I really like my T2 and wouldn't be looking into an MDI2 if my CANdi module still worked.
I don't have an immediate need to program any modules, but if I'm going to invest in another device I'm going to invest in the future not the past.
Here are some references for my statements as to the capabilities limitations of the T2.
https://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V16I209.pdf

https://www.nastf.org/i4a/m/pages.cfm?pageid=3650

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.
BTW, GM tools sells the real MDI2 for $750

#18 · (Edited)
Im looking at the chinese tech 2s and there all saying for cars only.... No trucks.... Am i looking at the wrong thing?

Also Longhorse, they list the candi modual seperate.... Might be worth it to you to buy one...

#19 ·
well,you can buy a subscription for 1-3 days on gm ''tis2web'' for $55,and ive programed trucks up to 2013ld and 2014hd,,2015 trucks[Camaros too] are different,and need a mdi,,ive used a tech2 to scan a 2015 hd truck the other day,,and I just looked at a real gm mdi and the dealer quoted me $1200[I priced one 5-6 years ago and it was $700-800],,

#22 · (Edited)
I think they will sell to anybody who picks up the phone and says they work on GM vehichles and are interested in getting into the electronic side of the business. I'm not a dealer or even a shop but I called and inquired about a year ago and I have gotten several emails from them trying to sell to me. The more tools and subscriptions they sell the better for them and better market dominance for GM right? And if a guy screws up and bricks a module and has to go buy a new one at the dealer, even more revenue.

#23 ·
I have a quick question along the same lines.

I want to pick up a tech2/candi for some basic upgrades/programming and am confused about the hardware I need.

I have a 2014 2500HD (still a GMT900 platform, not the new body style). Most all software I have seen included in the tech2 seems to only go to 2013. Will a tech2/candi with the latest software still work for me for programming modules and switches in my 2014 2500HD?

#25 ·
Thanks for the reply. So would you mind running me through a scenario? Say I wanted to replace my drivers side master window switch and program it once its installed, you are saying that requires TIS? I have been told this is a simple procedure requiring only the tech2 and no interface with TIS. Sort of like unlocking your radio. Also, If there is no option in the Tech2 list for 2014, what would I select? 2013? Seems odd.

I just want to make sure I buy the right thing on the first try.

Thanks for the help!

#26 · (Edited)
yes if it needs programing ,you need to log into ''a/c delco'' tis2web,its $1700 per year,and program the window switch,bcm,ecu,hvac,etc,,and to read codes or live programing just call it a 2013

if you truck is a cloth int/flat dash,just put in the window switch,no programing needed

to use an mdi is ''JUST'' a pass-thru [not a scanner],you will need a laptop computer too

a tech2 is a hand held scanner,and a pass-thru for programming

for most things you need a tech2 scanner

#27 ·
yes if it needs programing ,you need to log into ''a/c delco'' tis2web,its $1700 per year,and program the window switch,bcm,ecu,hvac,etc,,and to read codes or live programing just call it a 2013

if you truck is a cloth int/flat dash,just put in the window switch,no programing needed
Upgrading my mirrors to power fold and possibly upgrading to leather seats so I will need some programming if I want to make it all stock.

Does TIS allow for shorter subscriptions? I thought I saw somewhere where they did 2 day subscriptions?

#29 · (Edited)
Yes,
I have the tow mirrors and a DL3 RPO. Will probably need the door harness that supports data-bus as I have the non-data bus wiring now. Its all doable through my research but I do not want to get hung up on the programming end. Dealers around here are terrible for trying to help out on custom stuff.

So with a 2-3 subscription I can download module software with no issues? Are there any other hidden things I need to know from your knowledge?

Get a tech2/candi
Get a 2/3 day sub on TIS2WEB
Program modules.

.....that's it, right?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.