LMM: Used Truck - Need Tune - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > EFILive Tuning Software
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

EFILive Tuning Software Discuss custom tuning & data logging the LB7, LLY, LBZ & LMM Duramax engines as well as the Allison transmission with EFILive software.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
sdhager2
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Used Truck - Need Tune

I purchased a used 2009 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab that has already had the EGR and DPF exhaust deleted. I'm having trouble with Reduced power message on the dash, and a little less power and a lot more smoke when it happens. It was constant before finding bad terminals at the MAP sensor. Now it is intermittent. It sets zero codes, using a Tech 2, so diagnostics is lacking.

I tried to download the tune, but apparently it has DPS5 programming in it, but no switch that I can find. I just want to get a decent tune, nothing extreme that has minimal smoke and no reduced power message.

I assume I need to flash it back to factory, but then I am stuck, unless I can get a tune to fix my deletes.

Never tuned a diesel before, but am a professional mechanic.

Anybody got a good tune, or good directions for me to make a good tune, that allows me to diagnose this intermittent problem?

Thanks for any and all help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
ARZ
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Look up DSP5 install for your truck year, and you'll see where the wires go on your ECU, Find those wires if you have them, then follow them to where they go. It is possible to have a DSP5 tune, and for the switch to be removed. If that's the case, you will be stuck on the base tune. Maybe the previous owner kept the switch.

If your interested, PM me your tune, and Ill see if I can find anything that will help you with the "reduced power" message.

Did you download your current tune with EFILive?

Vehicle:2006 2WD CCSB SRW 180K miles
Mods:Superchips #1 tune 4 inch open. SOLD

Vehicle:2006 4X4 CCSB SRW 231K miles
Mods: 6" lift 315/70-17 tires, AMP steps, and airbags.
EFI Live DSP5 soon to come.

Last edited by ARZ; 06-21-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
sdhager2
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARZ View Post
Look up DSP5 install for your truck year, and you'll see where the wires go on your ECU, Find those wires if you have them, then follow them to where they go. It is possible to have a DSP5 tune, and for the switch to be removed. If that's the case, you will be stuck on the base tune. Maybe the previous owner kept the switch.

If your interested, PM me your tune, and Ill see if I can find anything that will help you with the "reduced power" message.

Did you download your current tune with EFILive?

Found a leak in the pressure side, which was skewing the MAF sensor just enough, because there wasn't much difference after the repair. Sold it with a factory tune with EGR and exhaust delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

There's no such thing as a factory tune w/EGR-DPF delete.

So you decided it was ok to rip someone off by selling them a truck with a known issue that'll come back to bite them? Damn.

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Last edited by TheBac; 06-21-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
ARZ
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Bummer, you got rid of the truck, I think I could have solved your problem. Just today I solved an identical problem for free. Well it did cost me manual labor, and yours would have also. Basically my Fuel Pressure Bypass Valve had failed, and I was able to increase the preload on that spring. For only the cost of the manual labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhager2 View Post
Found a leak in the pressure side, which was skewing the MAF sensor just enough, because there wasn't much difference after the repair. Sold it with a factory tune with EGR and exhaust delete.
You have no idea how he disclosed to his customer, what the issues with the truck were. He said he was a mechanic, I'm sure he disclosed the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
There's no such thing as a factory tune w/EGR-DPF delete.

So you decided it was ok to rip someone off by selling them a truck with a known issue that'll come back to bite them? Damn.

I bought a Cummin's with 210K on the ODO, and within 6 weeks, it developed blow-by idling in a parking lot for 20 minutes (a common known problem with Cummin's). I said what a PIECE OF ****.... all of my die-hard Cummin's friends said..."You should have known better than to let it idle like that.

I said, "I told ALL of you guys I'm buying my first Cummin's!" I expected some comments from all of them about the DO's and DONT's. Crickets! Lesson learned... Dont buy a Cummin's

Oh, and their MPG indicated at the dashboard is a total fabrication. I witnessed as much as a 4 MPG difference, to lead the owner into believing they are getting 17+MPG, when they are actually getting 12-13MPG.

Vehicle:2006 2WD CCSB SRW 180K miles
Mods:Superchips #1 tune 4 inch open. SOLD

Vehicle:2006 4X4 CCSB SRW 231K miles
Mods: 6" lift 315/70-17 tires, AMP steps, and airbags.
EFI Live DSP5 soon to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in