LLY: Read a lot, but still have some questions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > EFILive Tuning Software
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

EFILive Tuning Software Discuss custom tuning & data logging the LB7, LLY, LBZ & LMM Duramax engines as well as the Allison transmission with EFILive software.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By D_R_C
  • 1 Post By THEFERMANATOR

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Libtekguy
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Read a lot, but still have some questions

I've been reading a lot about EFI Live, and I think I'm going to go this route but I still have a few questions I want definitive answers on. I have an LLY lifted on 35s with a 45 gal Transfer Flow fuel tank. Engine and everything related to it are completely stock. I have corrected the speedometer with a Hypertech calibration so that it reads correctly. The DIC is very optimistic w/ it's MPG ratings. It will read 18 mpg, when in reality I'm getting about 14 or 15. Although the fuel gauge works on a percentage basis (perfectly fine), the DIC isn't aware that it is a 45 gallon tank, not a 26.

1. Can EFI Live correct for tire size changes? (I'm pretty sure this is a yes)
2. Can it modify parameters so that I can get DIC MPG/fuel used more accurate?
3. Can I change fuel tank capacity in the DIC with EFI Live?

I'm hoping the answers are yes to all the above. I'm fairly aware with performance improvements EFI Live can do and I'm excited about the prospects of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
TiredFarmer
Gone but not forgotten member

I know the guy who was going to put efi live on my LLY was a yes on 1 and 2. Not sure on #3.

2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
Member #1063 3500 Dually Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Prodigy

^^^
On your 3rd question I think it would be a good idea to just contact and ask a EFI tuner.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser, DIY stock airbox mod, K & N OEM drop-in, Airaid intake tube, EFILive TCM tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
THEFERMANATOR
Diesel Guru

1. Yes to an extent. I believe with 35's you will be fine, but once you go bigger I believe you need a TECH2 to also recalibrate the ABS.
2. Yes and no. If you go with a single position tune, then yes it can be corrected. If you go with a DSP5, then not so much. With a DSP5 tune you have 5 different tunes, but there is only 1 table to correct the DIC, so you can bring it in fairly close, but depending on which tune you run it may still be off.
3. Yes, you can correct the tank sizes. You will have to add in a 2nd sender into the transfer tank, install a transfer pump to move fuel from the transfer tank to the main tank, make sure there is a check valve in the transfer pump so it won't let fuel i nwhen the pump is not on, wire the 2nd sender into the ECM, wire the transfer pump to the ECM, input the 2 tank sizes into the ECM, and convert it to an ECM operating system for a 3500 cab and chassis with factory dual tanks. Then the gauge in the cluster will show how much fuel is remaining total, and the ECM will control the transfer of fuel from the transfer tank to the main tank. It is ALOT of work to do, but CAN be done if you're willing to wire and plumb it all in, and can find a tuner capable of doing the custom segment swaps for the dual tank operation.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Libtekguy
Low Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
1. Yes to an extent. I believe with 35's you will be fine, but once you go bigger I believe you need a TECH2 to also recalibrate the ABS.
2. Yes and no. If you go with a single position tune, then yes it can be corrected. If you go with a DSP5, then not so much. With a DSP5 tune you have 5 different tunes, but there is only 1 table to correct the DIC, so you can bring it in fairly close, but depending on which tune you run it may still be off.
3. Yes, you can correct the tank sizes. You will have to add in a 2nd sender into the transfer tank, install a transfer pump to move fuel from the transfer tank to the main tank, make sure there is a check valve in the transfer pump so it won't let fuel i nwhen the pump is not on, wire the 2nd sender into the ECM, wire the transfer pump to the ECM, input the 2 tank sizes into the ECM, and convert it to an ECM operating system for a 3500 cab and chassis with factory dual tanks. Then the gauge in the cluster will show how much fuel is remaining total, and the ECM will control the transfer of fuel from the transfer tank to the main tank. It is ALOT of work to do, but CAN be done if you're willing to wire and plumb it all in, and can find a tuner capable of doing the custom segment swaps for the dual tank operation.
Thanks for your reply! The tank is actually a mid-ship replacement tank, not an 2nd one.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
THEFERMANATOR
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libtekguy View Post
Thanks for your reply! The tank is actually a mid-ship replacement tank, not an 2nd one.
Then thats ALOT easier. You will need to do a few things to get teh DIC dead on, but it's not that hard to do. Depending on what tank you went with, your tuner might even have the specs for the sender on hand.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in