LBZ: Getting tuner for Christmas - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners Discuss 2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax engine electronic upgrades including chips, tuners, programmers, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
505DMAX
High Compression

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Getting tuner for Christmas

Hello yall... Well Wifey decided to get me a tuner/chip for Christmas. My problem is not sure which one to get. HELP ME PLEASE
Im not racing or anything but do show off occasionally. In other words I dont back down from the challenge. LOL Mainly looking for all around performance and mileage.
Truck has AFE cold air with full functioning forced air hood, blade runner intake manifold, 4 straight down pipe back. Other than that not much done to it YET.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
rmoore0852
Diesel Apprentice

First choice is are you going with a canned/preprogrammed tuner or EFI Live tunes? I have done both. Ran a superchips canned tune for several years. Upgraded to EFI Live and wow, what a difference. EFI is definitely more expensive though. I am very happy with my tunes from ATP. Idaho Rob does great work and was awesome helping me figure out why an auxiliary tank was setting a check engine light. I like being able to switch between all 5 tunes without having to reflash anything. If you tow heavy, the turbo brake is worth the $$ just by itself.

Duramaxtuner is also said to be very good.

I think my autocal, DSP5 switch, and tunes was about $650 from ATP.

2006 2500HD LBZ CCSB 4x4 178k miles, EFILive by ATP, 265/75/16 BFGs, Nicktane adapter w/2 micron CAT filter, Bilstein 5100's, Diamond Eye cat delete, MBRP downpipe, MBRP 4" exhaust with muffler, LML exhaust manifold and heat shield, EDGE Insight CTS, RedHead Steering gearbox, Demco Autoslide 18k hitch, ARP head studs and rod bolts, Transgo Jr with Transynd, MA pump rub kit and transfer case back half, MA transfer case brace, Kennedy single lift pump
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Moved to "Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners".....
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
505DMAX
High Compression

Thanks for the info... I am looking for something that I can have a displayed monitor and be able to switch tunes quickly. I am in California and Im pretty sure they have regulations. I am towing a trailer and vehicle on 14 hour trip on the 23rd so I will need to get this done soon. I previously had a super chip but it was stolen out of my truck right before I moved to Cali. I had to have the dealership flash my computer in order to get the truck registered. Now I need to get my mileage back up
Old 12-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

EFILive AutoCal with stock-trans safe tuning from a reputable tuner like ATP or Ridgerunner would be the way I would go.
Dont push it above +90hp over stock, though....

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Last edited by TheBac; 12-16-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
rmoore0852
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505DMAX View Post
Thanks for the info... I am looking for something that I can have a displayed monitor and be able to switch tunes quickly. I am in California and Im pretty sure they have regulations. I am towing a trailer and vehicle on 14 hour trip on the 23rd so I will need to get this done soon. I previously had a super chip but it was stolen out of my truck right before I moved to Cali. I had to have the dealership flash my computer in order to get the truck registered. Now I need to get my mileage back up
As far as I know there is not a tuner out there that is a display screen that can change tunes quickly. There was for the older duramax's, but not for the LBZ and up. As far as I know all the canned tuners require reflashing the ECM every time you change tunes.

I wanted exactly the same things. Call me a bit biased, but I think the best setup is what I went with. DSP5 switch with tunes from ATP allow me to change tunes on the fly. You don't even have to turn the truck off. Then a Edge Insight CTS allows me to monitor everything, after adding the EGT probe. The Insight isnt a tuner, just a gauge package. I got the dash pod mount for it so it doesn't look like something stuck to the windshield. While I love this setup, it is $1100+ for both things. My .02, do it once and get what you really want.
2006 2500HD LBZ CCSB 4x4 178k miles, EFILive by ATP, 265/75/16 BFGs, Nicktane adapter w/2 micron CAT filter, Bilstein 5100's, Diamond Eye cat delete, MBRP downpipe, MBRP 4" exhaust with muffler, LML exhaust manifold and heat shield, EDGE Insight CTS, RedHead Steering gearbox, Demco Autoslide 18k hitch, ARP head studs and rod bolts, Transgo Jr with Transynd, MA pump rub kit and transfer case back half, MA transfer case brace, Kennedy single lift pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in