Turbo brake on edge evolution #25002 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners Discuss 2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax engine electronic upgrades including chips, tuners, programmers, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
screaminjlew
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Turbo brake on edge evolution #25002

I have been running this tuner for quite some time on level 2 because of the turbo brake feature and was told by Edge Performance that the turbo brake feature is also avaliable on levels 1 and 3, can anyone confirm this? I believe that the newer models have the brake feature on the first three levels but I'm not sure with the older evo version.

Thanx, Jlew

R.I.P 7/9/04-2/5/10 2004.5 LLY 2500HD EXTCAB S/B D/A 4X4 Summit White, 4 inch MBRP cat-back exhaust, Autometer sport comp pyro & boost gauges, PCV Re-route, Kennedy Airbox Mod, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Firestone Ride Rites Airbags, Fingerstick & blocker plate mods, Pedal spring mod, and All headlight mod

NEWEST ADDITION!..SOLD 2006 GMC SLT LBZ CCSB 4x4 Magnaflow 4 inch cat-back exhaust, Edge Evolution on level 2 (turbo brake feature) 18" weld wheels, BFG KO2's, 4 inch tuff country lift, custom made s/s tie rod sleeves, snugtop shell, firestone ride-rites, s/s nerf bars,fumoto valve, All on headlight mod, and upgraded transmission cooler lines, power steering cooler, cognito pitman and idler support kit Newest addition, Merchant Auto transfer case pump rub fix8: Kennedy lift pump w/ Std. Mega filter and Kennedy wire harness Transgo Jr. with Mike L. springs & Transynd..(Thanks Mike L)Tekonsha Prodigy 2, HID's, Curt Heavy Duty Class VI hitch also, B&W turn over goose neck hitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
screaminjlew
Diesel Apprentice

anybody?

R.I.P 7/9/04-2/5/10 2004.5 LLY 2500HD EXTCAB S/B D/A 4X4 Summit White, 4 inch MBRP cat-back exhaust, Autometer sport comp pyro & boost gauges, PCV Re-route, Kennedy Airbox Mod, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Firestone Ride Rites Airbags, Fingerstick & blocker plate mods, Pedal spring mod, and All headlight mod

NEWEST ADDITION!..SOLD 2006 GMC SLT LBZ CCSB 4x4 Magnaflow 4 inch cat-back exhaust, Edge Evolution on level 2 (turbo brake feature) 18" weld wheels, BFG KO2's, 4 inch tuff country lift, custom made s/s tie rod sleeves, snugtop shell, firestone ride-rites, s/s nerf bars,fumoto valve, All on headlight mod, and upgraded transmission cooler lines, power steering cooler, cognito pitman and idler support kit Newest addition, Merchant Auto transfer case pump rub fix8: Kennedy lift pump w/ Std. Mega filter and Kennedy wire harness Transgo Jr. with Mike L. springs & Transynd..(Thanks Mike L)Tekonsha Prodigy 2, HID's, Curt Heavy Duty Class VI hitch also, B&W turn over goose neck hitch.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminjlew View Post
Turbo brake on edge evolution #25002 I have been running this tuner for quite some time on level 2 because of the turbo brake feature and was told by Edge Performance that the turbo brake feature is also avaliable on levels 1 and 3, can anyone confirm this?
How long is quite some time? Sounds like not very long.
If Edge Performance says that the turbo brake feature is avaliable on levels 1 and 3 why ask?
Have you ever tryed level 1 & 3 out and see if it's the same as level 2 when braking?
Have you verified this by watching your vane position sensor %
Level 2 is for towing, I would think it would be the only one that has the turbo brake.
Does updates have a discription?
Maybe it even has it on there old race version so you can slow down faster in the 1/4 mile.
Your answer is confirmed here.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-p...vo-update.html
Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; 09-21-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
screaminjlew
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblinrodney View Post
How long is quite some time? Sounds like not very long.
Since May of 2010
[/I]
[/I]If Edge Performance says that the turbo brake feature is avaliable on levels 1 and 3 why ask?
because I'm not sure if there referring to the newer evo tuner (cs/cs2)
Have you ever tryed level 1 & 3 out and see if it's the same as level 2 when braking?
I tried level 1 when I first got it but never towed with it.
Have you verified this by watching your vane position sensor %
When I have it on level 2 I've seen the VSOP on the display showing a increase in boost when descending on hills indicating that the vanes were closing.
Level 2 is for towing, I would think it would be the only one that has the turbo brake.
One would think so but I've seen where others have had mixed opinions

Does updates have a discription?
Maybe it even has it on there old race version so you can slow down faster in the 1/4 mile.
Your answer is confirmed here.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-p...vo-update.html
that update was updated when I first got the tuner and I updated before the first install

Old 09-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
george116
Diesel Fanatic

I have not noticed any turbo braking on level 1. I have the legacy Evolution in question. I added a turbo brake via wiring a switch into a couple of ECM pins as described in a post on this site.

I have never tried anything beyond level 1, as the documentation warned not to tow heavy on level 2.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
screaminjlew
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by george116 View Post
I have not noticed any turbo braking on level 1. I have the legacy Evolution in question. I added a turbo brake via wiring a switch into a couple of ECM pins as described in a post on this site.

I have never tried anything beyond level 1, as the documentation warned not to tow heavy on level 2.
George, did you have tow/haul mode engaged when towing in level 1? I was told that the turbo brake only works in the levels if tow /haul is engaged.

thanks for the reply George, Jeff

Last edited by screaminjlew; 09-24-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
george116
Diesel Fanatic

Yes, I have had tow/haul mode on for thousands of miles in level 1 (13k lb. fifth wheel). I never saw evidence of a turbo brake activated then, but I wasn't watching for it, either. I had not heard of such a thing, which is why I added the switch. To my knowledge I have the latest firmware update -- I last checked in 2013 and it said everything was up to date. I think Edge had stopped making updates at that point.

If you want to add the switch for turbo braking independent of your Evolution (but it is dependent on being in tow/haul), you can search for the post on it here. You'll need a particular type of switch (described in the post), some wire, and a couple of ECM pins. It's not a hard modification, and you'll be able to control it without having to turn off tow/haul mode if you want.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
LBZjunkie
Diesel Apprentice

You can wire a switch separately for an exhaust brake, it will operate without T/H mode but only after 45MPH so the TC can lock up, it will still stay engaged down to 20mph.
Primary/secondary fuel filter's, OE still in place
Firestone air bags
Pacbrake onboard air
EGR delete
Junk *** POS Duramileage tuner-WTF WAS I THINKING!
Old 10-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
dieselgauge
Clutch

Mine works on 2 but I'll check what it does on level 3. It's not too noticeable until it gets below 20. If you want an engine brake I'd just go full aftermarket unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in