Hypertech Max Energy Review - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners Discuss 2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax engine electronic upgrades including chips, tuners, programmers, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
2006DuramaxLbz
Diesel Rookie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Hypertech Max Energy Review

I picked up a used Hypertech Max Energy programmer off kijiji for $220 after seeing really good reviews on this product. I loaded up the level 2 tune and went for a drive.

The programmer drives and shifts really smooth. You really start to notice the power after the 2000 rpm range and up. There is no additional engine noise at all. It runs pretty clean as well, it leaves a trail of light smoke when around 3/4 throttle + and a puff off the line.

After a few days of driving on the level 2 tune, I loaded up the level 3 tune for fun. On the past threads I've been on a lot of guys say, "put it on level 3 and forget about it" I didn't really notice a change, it smoked a lot less and felt like it had a bit more top end power.

I dropped it down to level 2 and I'm going to leave it there. Overall the programmer runs extremely smoothy and shifts really good for a canned tuner. I would give this tuner a chance, there are a ton of these for sale, all fairly cheap to get.

Thanks, Eric

5" MBRP with cat delete
aFe stage 2
6k HID Lows/Fogs
Smoked LED Tail lights
De-Badged
20% Tint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hypertech
Diesel Apprentice

Thanks Eric for the review, thats what this forum is all about.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
BARRA6706
Glow Plug

I also have the max energy programmer,stock and on level 1 and 2 everything works correctly, but on level 3 the transmission takes a long time to shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear at all pedal positions, all other gears it shifts fine. I downloaded the updated program hoping it would fix the issue, but no luck. I guess level 2 is where I am stuck.

3500 SRW CLUB MEMBER # 21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRA6706 View Post
I also have the max energy programmer,stock and on level 1 and 2 everything works correctly, but on level 3 the transmission takes a long time to shift from 3rd gear to 4th gear at all pedal positions, all other gears it shifts fine. I downloaded the updated program hoping it would fix the issue, but no luck. I guess level 2 is where I am stuck.
Change your fuel filter, filters that are plugging up can cause delayed shifts.
265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Duramax.com tow tune w/turbo brake
PPE Dual Fueler (P0087 cure)
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges/Edge CTS
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Merchant remanufactured transfer case 748,000
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
Suncoast trans and 1700 stall converter @ 748,000
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
BARRA6706
Glow Plug

I dont think the fuel filter would make the trans shift like that, only on the 3rd to 4th gear. I only have the problem when on level 3, its must be something in the tune the trans dislikes.

3500 SRW CLUB MEMBER # 21
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
scat28
Sparkplug Hunter

max energy

I also have a max energy tuner that I really like. I did not experience any shifting problems but I noticed better fuel milage on number 2 setting than on any other setting and it seems to have good power output on #2, I am a little nervous about level #3 power output and maybe limping or damaging my tranny. Maybe someone else with more experience can comment on this.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hypertech
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scat28 View Post
I also have a max energy tuner that I really like. I did not experience any shifting problems but I noticed better fuel milage on number 2 setting than on any other setting and it seems to have good power output on #2, I am a little nervous about level #3 power output and maybe limping or damaging my tranny. Maybe someone else with more experience can comment on this.
We get this question a lot. There are a lot of tunes out there for these trucks that are not safe to use on a stock tranny.

Hypertech tunes are developed on Superflow AWD chassis dynos with custom "tuned" software that allows for dynamic loading of the power absorber. This gives us the ability to simulate actual vehicle weight, including towing weight, aero drag, and road grades. Our Stage 3 tune is engineered within the limits of what the stock Allison transmission and drivetrain can safely handle under these loaded conditions.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in