Differences between 6 gun (just switch) and efi live - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners Discuss 2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax engine electronic upgrades including chips, tuners, programmers, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
k5robnp
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Differences between 6 gun (just switch) and efi live

Just considering going from the 6 gun to a dsp5 with efi live. Wanted to get opinions from those who have gone from the 6 gun to efi live, milage? power? Just curious more than anything. It would be nice to have a turbo brake as well. See sig for truck specs. Truck runs great, no problems and plenty of power but just a little bored i guess.

2006 LLY, dsp5 Idaho Rob, Banks Cold Air intake, 4 in S.S. magnaflow turbo back,no cat, finger stick, sinister egr delete,pcv reroute, transgo jr., edge insight cts, kennedy pump rub, Air Dog II, Nicktane oem fuel filter adapter to cat 2 micron, LML driver side manifold, mbrp downpipe, PPE Fuel Rail Plug, tie rod sleeves.

1981 k5 blazer,Scat ITB Crank, 383 stroker 11:1 compression, pro topline heads, comp x energy 268 cam, 770 street avenger, 12 bolt w/ eaton posi, 3in lift w/ 33x12.50's

1989 and 1987 5.0 mustangs.....to much to list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
christopherglenn
Diesel Champ

Depends on who your tuner is. Almost all will smoke more then a banks (you may not be able to see it - but smokeless is banks claim to fame).

2011 Keystone Fuzion 405
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2015 Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser SVHO
2016 Chevy Dually CC 4X4 D/A LML
Member # 465 3500 Dually Club
Sold 05 Chevy 2500HD SB 4X4 D/A LLY

Neighbors must think I run a used car lot.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
k5robnp
Diesel Starter

Yeah so I have heard, but my truck will smoke if I get into it. I was thinking about duramaxtuner because it seems like they have a lot of experience and their process seems easy. Also diesel addiction is semi close to me but I havent heard much about their tunes.
2006 LLY, dsp5 Idaho Rob, Banks Cold Air intake, 4 in S.S. magnaflow turbo back,no cat, finger stick, sinister egr delete,pcv reroute, transgo jr., edge insight cts, kennedy pump rub, Air Dog II, Nicktane oem fuel filter adapter to cat 2 micron, LML driver side manifold, mbrp downpipe, PPE Fuel Rail Plug, tie rod sleeves.

1981 k5 blazer,Scat ITB Crank, 383 stroker 11:1 compression, pro topline heads, comp x energy 268 cam, 770 street avenger, 12 bolt w/ eaton posi, 3in lift w/ 33x12.50's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Smokinlmm
Diesel Head

The difference is night and day...

2015 Denali CCSB Z-71 SRW 2500 Dmax/Alli
Lifed with 35 Toyo's
A work in progress
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dunedain313
Clutch

I've used Edge tuners in the past, but don't have specific experience with Banks. Edge gets the truck hot in a hurry. Never was able to tow heavy with anything over the stock (#1) tune.

However, I recently installed a DSP5 and EFI Live from Idaho Rob and I can tell you this is now a different truck. For me, EGTs were the big issue. I just towed two steep grades (read: high EGTs) at high elevation (read: higher EGTs!!!) with a 14,000lb load and it never got hot. In the past with a lesser load on a bone stock tune I had to back out of it to keep the EGTs under control.

The turbo brake is a nice perk. I drove down Floyd Hill near Denver with that load and between the turbo brake and the Allison, the truck never broke 50 mph. That's 21000 lb going down a 6% grade and I never touched my foot brake or trailer brakes. That made me pretty happy.

As far as clean goes, I romped on the gas yesterday in the 90HP street tune and it barely puffed at all. I have no idea how they do that, but it's pretty amazing.

I know I sound like a salesman for ATP, but I'm just that happy with what I received from them. Like Smokinlmm said, it's a night and day difference.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
k5robnp
Diesel Starter

Thats great to hear as it didnt take much convincing haha. Getting it tuned this weekend, cant wait

Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
k5robnp
Diesel Starter

All I can say is wow. I cant exactly pin point what is different besides way more power but everything is smoother. It shifts much better, and seems to be getting better econ. Its so much more drive able than it used to be. Just accelerating lightly from stoplight to stoplight seems like it just takes much less effort. Also, its incredibly clean and I cant even get it to barely smoke. Thank you idaho rob and smokin lmm as well as southern style diesel for flashing it and putting in the switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in