Banks IQ battery swollen - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners Discuss 2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax engine electronic upgrades including chips, tuners, programmers, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
boiler_guy
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Banks IQ battery swollen

Not sure of the best place to post this but just wanted to leave a FYI for those using a Banks IQ display that have had issues with the displaying splitting open.

If you search through the web you will find this issue posted on several forums and most will end with someone pointing out that the user manual states not to leave it in a hot car; which always begs the question why was it not designed with that in mind?

After mine split open and the display fell out I finished taking it apart to figure out what happened. Turns out the battery was swollen to about twice it's size. The swelling pushed the display and broke the bezel holding the unit together.

The battery is soldered to the main board and I did not found a suitable replacement, so I just cut the wires and removed the battery. I super glued the bezel together, reinstalled the display and put it back in the truck.

It takes a little longer to come on when the truck is started but it works fine without the battery installed. Seems like a better option than dropping $500 on a new unit with the same issue.

If I run in to trouble I'll update this post.

Best of luck to anyone with this issue.

Firestone air bags
EGR blocker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel II
Diesel Fanatic

Any updates OP ...

I am standing here staring at the black and red wires thinking if I should cut them now ??

Think I'll wait till tomorrow when I have a little more time .... just in case I run into an operating system issue.

Hopefully you'll see this or someone else who has done so - I figure it only needs the battery for when its removed from the vehicle to do the **** you'll never use it for.

I will update soon if no one else does. Hate to spend the $$ for something so stupid

Jack-It Shock Mounts, Levelled - 7 1/2 Turns, Custom Single 5" Chrome Stack, Resonator Removed, BANKS SIX-GUN w/IQ, TECHNI-COOLER, RAM-AIR w/SUPERSCOOP, BOOST TUBE, Air Dog II 165, PCV Reroute, 285/70R17 Goodyear Duratrac's on '08 17x8.5 H2's, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Ventshade Sunroof Visor, 4" Nasta Stainless Steps, GM Toolbox Setup, Ram Laptop Mount, Winter Cover, Alphatherm W.W. Heater, Work Truck

Thank's to Nick @ Banks Engineering !
Thank's to Dane @ MadJack Racing !
Thank's to Everyone on Diesel Place !!!!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
boiler_guy
Low Boost

I have no issues since removing the battery. There are a few minor changes worth noting but for me nothing worth the cost of buying a whole new display:

1) It takes longer for it to boot up now. After the truck is started the display comes on, boots up and starts showing data after about 40 seconds

2) Sometimes when I press the dim button when driving at night it will go dim then turn back to bright. After a few times it finally stays dim. Played around with the settings and found if you adjust the autodim time it works better.

3) When using the speed brake, if I turn off the truck when I restart it the speed brake is turned off. I keep the speed brake screen up so I just turn it back on when restarting the truck.

I’m not sure how the loss of the battery may affect the other functions, I don’t use them. But as far as the Banks system goes I have not seen any real down side.

I have not had any issues and question why Banks would even have a battery in the unit when it causes the problems it does. My GPS has Li-ion battery installed and lives on the dash very happily.
Firestone air bags
EGR blocker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel II
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks for the info man - I'm gonna go ahead with it and see what happens ....

Looks like there are battery options out there - from China though

I will update as well soon.

Jack-It Shock Mounts, Levelled - 7 1/2 Turns, Custom Single 5" Chrome Stack, Resonator Removed, BANKS SIX-GUN w/IQ, TECHNI-COOLER, RAM-AIR w/SUPERSCOOP, BOOST TUBE, Air Dog II 165, PCV Reroute, 285/70R17 Goodyear Duratrac's on '08 17x8.5 H2's, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Ventshade Sunroof Visor, 4" Nasta Stainless Steps, GM Toolbox Setup, Ram Laptop Mount, Winter Cover, Alphatherm W.W. Heater, Work Truck

Thank's to Nick @ Banks Engineering !
Thank's to Dane @ MadJack Racing !
Thank's to Everyone on Diesel Place !!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fumes21
Gear Grinder

Anything new on this mine has just done the same thing, looking for a replacement battery. Have you called Banks?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel II
Diesel Fanatic

Banks told me they would give me a discount on a new one ... that was when I last posted though. The ****in thing worked fine though so why would I spend another $250.00 or whatever it was to replace it. !!
I only had an issue with the display night / day changeover after removing the battery.

I say take it out and let it run. Unless you've got the cash to give to banks - cause apparently they need it ... Very upsetting that they wouldn't do something more to help us out. I mean how many people really have one of these that it would kill them to make THEIR issue right by us.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
boothybunch
Resident Gynecologist....

what's to stop you putting an external battery pack on the IQ?

2006 LLY/LBZ standard cab WT ZF-6 Stock for the moment

Member #23 of the OIL is OIL association

July 2013 Truck of the month winner

Old 11-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
carhauler
Diesel Pro

I'm curious How old a IQ are these? I have alway had really good customer service with Banks and been taken care of way out of warranty. I do notice a lot of complaints about Banks customer service so I may just be lucky. Have you spoke to Tech support about your options. A lot of guys just talk to sales and thats not the way to go.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
lww
Sparkplug Hunter

The only reason for the internal battery is for quick startup and for all the "multi-media" features, like movie playback and ebook reader that nobody on here will ever use!

Cut the wires and move on!

Last edited by lww; 12-30-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in