What makes a tuner "Good" - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners Discuss 2006-2007.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax engine electronic upgrades including chips, tuners, programmers, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
davisenvy
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

What makes a tuner "Good"

I have a Hypertech programmer on my 2007 LBZ and have been thinking of upgrading. I know EFI live is the best, but don't want to pay for that, so I'm thinking PPE. I've read PPE and the LBZ are a perfect match.

What makes the PPE "better" than the Hypertech? I run the Hypertech on level 2 because it gives me the best mpg's and level 3 is all the power I need/want. Plus, I can tow on any level. Can someone give me specifics on what makes one tuner better than the other.

I'm all stock except for 4" MBRP exhaust and downpipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
DT Scientist
Diesel Starter

davisenvy,

We have our EFI Live options competitively priced with the other box programmers out there. For example our DSP5 Pre-tuned ECM for a stock transmission/stock turbo truck is available for $549.00 and our SPADE Jack with the DSP5 option is $699.00.

Our Pre-tuned ECMs are probably our most popular product because they are affordable, simple to install, and perform better than any programmer on the market. We pride ourselves on our quality of calibrations and high level of customer service. We guarantee satisfaction with all of our products.

If you have any questions please let me know, I am always happy to answer questions or help you in any way possible. I can be contacted via email ([email protected]) or at our shop by telephone (815-923-4315).

-Steve

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
davisenvy
Block Heater

I paid $125 for my Hypertech off Ebay. I have run it for 10k miles with no problems whatsoever. It shifts smooth and eats tires. I like the fact that it is safe on my engine and tranny. An extra 50-60hp and 2mpg gains are also OK by me.

My question is, what makes the higher dollar tuners better? More power? If I am OK with the power I'm getting from the Hypertech, would there be any other benefits from a more expensive tuner?

Salesmen, sell me your tune and explain to me why it is better than the one I am running.

Forgot to add I also have an Edge CTS gauges w/pyro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
DT Scientist
Diesel Starter

Sorry for the delayed response, it has been a busy first half of the week.

The programmer that you have right now is set up to go into the calibration and make a set number of changes to your calibration, in other words it produces a very generic calibration. When we build a calibration we start with your stock tune file and build the calibration specifically for your model truck and the supporting mods that you have done to your truck.

Our customers that have switched from a box programmer to our tunes usually report that they are running much lower EGTs, they have access to much more power, enhanced drive-ability, smoother power distribution, and the ability to have a calibration for just about any driving situation. The end result is a happier and better performing engine and a more satisfied driver.

An extra 50-60 HP is definitely achievable depending on how you want us to set up the tune file. An additional 2 MPG maybe possible but hard to guarantee because there are many factors that we can't control that go into fuel economy.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
knaffie
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
I have a Hypertech programmer on my 2007 LBZ and have been thinking of upgrading. I know EFI live is the best, but don't want to pay for that, so I'm thinking PPE. I've read PPE and the LBZ are a perfect match.

What makes the PPE "better" than the Hypertech? I run the Hypertech on level 2 because it gives me the best mpg's and level 3 is all the power I need/want. Plus, I can tow on any level. Can someone give me specifics on what makes one tuner better than the other.

I'm all stock except for 4" MBRP exhaust and downpipe.
I don't know why people think EFI life is expensive. It's CHEAP compared to most of the tuners out there.

I sold my PPE tuner for $300 more than what I paid for a EFI-tuned ECM with a DSP2 switch. Having that automatic turbo brake for grade braking is PRICELESS.

A tuned ECM from ATP is about half the price of what somebody else in this thread is trying to sell you. And they're some of the best tunes you can buy, unlike smany others.

Give them a call. http://atptrucks.com/

SOLD 12/15.... 06 CCSB LBZ 4x4 LT3; torsion key lift (leveled); 265/75-16 Pro Comp A/T on OEM wheels (winter), BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain 275/70-18 on XD Diesel 18x9 (summer); MBRP 4" turbo back with Corsa muffler; EGR blocked; Edge Insight CTS gauges; EFI Live DSP2 by Idaho Rob - 80HP DD and 40HP tow with turbo brake (love it!); Rancho 9000XL shocks; updated rear cab mounts; Transgo Jr.; Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves; everything synthetic; Access Tonneau hiding Line-X; tinted windows 5% all around; Tekonsha P3 brake controller; HIR bulbs, more to come soon......
Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
knaffie
Diesel Boss

Oh, and if you want to know what makes some of them "better", just drive some of the ones that aren't. You'll know in a big hurry! Trust me on that one!

SOLD 12/15.... 06 CCSB LBZ 4x4 LT3; torsion key lift (leveled); 265/75-16 Pro Comp A/T on OEM wheels (winter), BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain 275/70-18 on XD Diesel 18x9 (summer); MBRP 4" turbo back with Corsa muffler; EGR blocked; Edge Insight CTS gauges; EFI Live DSP2 by Idaho Rob - 80HP DD and 40HP tow with turbo brake (love it!); Rancho 9000XL shocks; updated rear cab mounts; Transgo Jr.; Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves; everything synthetic; Access Tonneau hiding Line-X; tinted windows 5% all around; Tekonsha P3 brake controller; HIR bulbs, more to come soon......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in