Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Mid-Atlantic (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/22-events-rallies-regional-discussion/56-mid-atlantic/)
-   -   Who's in or near Chorlotte NC ? (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/22-events-rallies-regional-discussion/56-mid-atlantic/85387-whos-near-chorlotte-nc.html)

Unit453 06-12-2006 08:38 PM

Who's in or near Chorlotte NC ?

I'm thinking about taking a job in Charlotte. I have some guys there that I grew up with who cant seem to say anything bad about the area. Its growing and it seems nice.

Any events or clubs down that way?

wpatrus 06-14-2006 03:40 PM

my dad is from monroe (30 min outside of charlotte) and my grandma still lives up that way. I like it up there. I'd think it a nice change of pace from New York for ya. It's growing and fast (kinda of the new banking center for the southeast I understand). I only see it growing and being more job opportunities for ya in the next few years.

I am going up there in a month or so to visit family.

TurboIndian 06-16-2006 08:03 PM

AAAHHH COME ON, NOT ANOTHER YANKEE!!! :blahblah: :lol: been here for 16+ years, all I can say is DO NOT live in mecklenburg county, (that is Charlotte), unless you love paying high taxes for everything. work is plentafull & so are the Mexicans. the car sceane is good around here, if your into the drag racing thing it's all 1/8 mile, if you are into the bouating thing we have 2 large lakes, if your into the crack whores we have several of them also.:lol: PM me with your # if you have any questions.

rpidelt 06-23-2006 08:05 AM

Well I was born and raised in CT then moved to Hickory, NC (about 45min from Charlotte). I lived there for just over 4 years. Everything was great except winter. Too cold to do anything and also not not cold enough to do anything. What I mean is during the rest of the year there was golf, camping, boating, motorcycle riding, etc then came December. Too cold to do much of anything and since they don't get snow I couldn't exactly jump on my snowmobile. Best thing about NC was meeting my wife:) . We now live back in CT. Still visit her parents about 5-6 times per year and they live right on Lake Norman. To me it falls under the "great place to visit but wouldn't wanna live there" motto.

Jaime

Unit453 06-23-2006 10:35 AM

Thanks guys.

hemisareslow 06-23-2006 06:31 PM

you could always move to Cary, NC...Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees....my dad has an office near there and it is quite nice...but why in the world would you wanna leave good ole CNY...

M1llrtym 06-24-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemisareslow (Post 1151832)
you could always move to Cary, NC...Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees....my dad has an office near there and it is quite nice...but why in the world would you wanna leave good ole CNY...

Come on man...Dont hate on Cary! Charlotte is a pretty good place to live...Im actually planning on working For Durham police Dept. in the fall. Its most like NY. At least crime wise..

Unit453 06-25-2006 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1llrtym (Post 1152688)
Come on man...Dont hate on Cary! Charlotte is a pretty good place to live...Im actually planning on working For Durham police Dept. in the fall. Its most like NY. At least crime wise..

I've applied for Charlotte-Mecklenburg P.D. I'm just not 100% sure I want to move again.

RAPOM 07-16-2006 11:32 PM

rpidelt, I'm from CT also and stationed south of Raliegh. It takes some getting used to (hog brains and eggs) we might retire here and go north for a few months a year. In N.C. I can golf 10 or 11 months out of the year and the fishing off coast is fantastic.

JoshC 08-06-2006 10:10 PM

I see that this post is kind of old but I thought I would offer some input. Me and my family moved down here 5 years ago from Syracuse and it is growing on us. We live about 30 miles north of Charlotte. The weather is definately a lot better. Its funny when they get 1/2 an inch of snow and the state is closed down for a week. 1/2 a yard and maybe NY schools will close. Personally I'd stay away from the Charlotte/Mecklenburg area. Its definately a lot busier than Syracuse. Winston-Salem, Statesville, and Hickory are more like Syracuse and you only have to drive about 15 minutes to be in the farm country.