va emissions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Events, Rallies, & Regional Discussion > Mid-Atlantic
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Mid-Atlantic DE - DC - KY - MD - NC - TN - VA - WV

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
checkmate427
Freeze Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to checkmate427

va emissions

Are straight pipes legal for VA emissions

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
DieselBoy04'
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate427 View Post
Are straight pipes legal for VA emissions

thanks
I'm not really sure, but I'm running a straight pipe with a stack and got my inspection sticker. But my guess would be different parts of the state will let certain things slide. But yes I do know Va is a pain in the *** about any kinda of mods.

MPI Twins, Exergy 45% injectors, Wicked Diesel modded LBZ CP3, Afe 3" intercooler pipe, PPE ported fuel rail fitting, 5" straight pipe exhaust, MA built SC 4 trans, Raptor 150. Tuned by IdahoRob

Special Thanks go out to Rob Coddens and Eric Merchant.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
08 Black Max
Glow Plug

In northern VA and the VA beach-Norfolk area might be a big problems as they do the smog checks.

In the area where I live my cars/trucks do not have to pass any smog checks currently but you never know how things change as new gov to take office in jan 2010 so its a crap shoot what will happen.

All Motor vehicles that have plates must pass a yearly safety inspection, so if the items in question meet the smog limits and safety requirements you should be ok. You also have to have proof if insurance as well.

I never have had a problem but I keep up the maintenance on my cars/trucks.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
DurasaurusLBZ
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

CNY Diesel Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

NC Dmax's Member

straight piped to a 8" stack in Va Beach and I got a inspection sticker on mine. I just look for the crappy looking shops to do it.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
clkelley777
Clutch

Armed Forces Club Member

It often depends on the inspector and whether they WANT to look for factory installed emissions equipment. By the letter of the law you are suppose to keep anything that came on it from the factory. However, like stated above, most smaller places don;t really check that hard. I have straight piped most of the 12 trucks I have had in the past ten years and never had an issue, of course I live in Southwest Va as well so that may help mine...
Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
southernk30
Glow Plug

With my 85 6.2 k30, I was able to pass inspection with my straight pipes but the guy told me that the cops would still be able to pull me over for no mufflers. I looked it up and I believe he was right.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
mwalls54
Low Boost

I just got a 06 inspected and its a strait pipe from turbo to exhaust tip. Nothing was said. My silverado ss had gutted cats and every once in a while they crawl under and look to see if they are in place.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
squeeky
Diesel Head

Send a message via AIM to squeeky

KY Diesel place Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Most places around VA Beach will not pass you. Like DurasaurusLBZ said look for a crappy shop. I am sure they will.
My Rig-- 2002 CCSB, D/A, 4x4 Charcoal Grey, Debadged & 4x4 stickers gone, Leather, 5% tint on top of factory tint, Diablo Sport Predator, Raptor 150, HID 55w 6000k, 4" straight pipe w/6" tip, Moto Metal wheels, Air Lift rear airbags, SuperGlide 5th wheel, TTT Mirrors, AVIC N-2, Line x, High Idle Mod., Cheap Wal-Mart fog lights for back-up lights, Uniden CB, Espar Heater, Cobalt boost & pyro gauges and a list of future mods!!

Wife's Rig-- 06 Trailblazer, Fun Rig-- 95 Jeep Wrangler

"It'd be the thrill of anyone's bull riding career to ride Red Rock. Like when Freckles Brown rode Tornado." -Lane Frost, 1987 National Finals Rodeo
Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
DurasaurusLBZ
Diesel Head

CNY Diesel Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

NC Dmax's Member

turn off shore drive on diamond srings and right there on the left is a lil shoppin center in that construction zone. I think you could be running open headers, no brakes and no lights and still be good in there
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in