Diesel Place banner

ATT. everyone from adams/springfield TN..

6K views 78 replies 9 participants last post by  wideopen 
#1 ·
i heard a rumor today that the truck/tractor pulls was comin up soon at the robertson county fair grounds....this true?

#27 ·
Would you like a "beta tester" for your new contraption!?!

#28 ·
i didnt know if any of you guys was gonna have anything by the time of the pull. and didnt know how yall would feel about loaning it out. so i placed an order to northern tool wednesday and wasnt expecting it till next wednesday, but it showed up today. i'll try and get it all together over the weekend. and yes, i'll share. gotta get it all "did-up" first, but i dont care who wants to use/abuse it!!:D

but im not responsible for anything that may happen while its in your (or anyone elses for that matter) possession. so if it breaks and you shoot off like a bottle rocket into the haybails, its YOUR ass!!!.:D

#29 ·
myojunk;1829315; said:
if it breaks and you shoot off like a bottle rocket into the haybails, its YOUR ass!!!.:D
No haybails this year (I think)...we're pullin' toward the hwy - YEEE HAAWWW!!! If it breaks...go thru the gate and hang a right!!!!

#30 ·
shep;1828696; said:
Just talked to Brad @ Underwood Tire in Dickson, Tn. $200 for a custom made pulling hitch. Any takers? I'm thinking it might be worth it...I've seen TSC hitches come apart before. :eek:
I would hope this solid steel shank I bought wouldn't come apart :eek:
If he garanteed his work I might thing about it. Investing in something that expensive really leans on how many times I get to use it a year. It wouldn't be worth it to me to use it in springfield twice but if there were say 5 or more a year I might could manage.
I should have reinstalled my stock keys the other day when I had an alignment. I wanted to keep them in though b/c I'm thinking about that Cognito leveling kit in a little while. Taking my bolts completely out won't work for me I don't believe b/c the adjustments aren't equal. My drivers side has about two nuts worth of thread showing and the passenger side has at least 4---It's almost let all the way down. With the bolts out there isn't any way the threaded block can fall out is it? If it can happen it will happen to me.
You don't think mr. hillbilly inspector will say something about the adjustment bolts in that pullin' hitch not being 1" each do ya' ?

#31 ·
JD4440;1829359; said:
With the bolts out there isn't any way the threaded block can fall out is it? If it can happen it will happen to me. quote]

All trucks "level out" differently...no 2 are the same. As far the threaded block...I don't know, but if the bolt is touching the key at all I think you'll be fine.

#32 ·
JD4440;1829359; said:
I would hope this solid steel shank I bought wouldn't come apart :eek:
If he garanteed his work I might thing about it. Investing in something that expensive really leans on how many times I get to use it a year. It wouldn't be worth it to me to use it in springfield twice but if there were say 5 or more a year I might could manage.
I should have reinstalled my stock keys the other day when I had an alignment. I wanted to keep them in though b/c I'm thinking about that Cognito leveling kit in a little while. Taking my bolts completely out won't work for me I don't believe b/c the adjustments aren't equal. My drivers side has about two nuts worth of thread showing and the passenger side has at least 4---It's almost let all the way down. With the bolts out there isn't any way the threaded block can fall out is it? If it can happen it will happen to me.
You don't think mr. hillbilly inspector will say something about the adjustment bolts in that pullin' hitch not being 1" each do ya' ?
there are more pulls in the area. hopkinsville and dickson will have some as well.

taking the t-bar bolts out IS A MUST!! or at least lower them completely down. if you plan on pulling with the green keys, you may as well cut your tie-rods off with a torch....sleeves wont matter either, they will still break at the knuckle. pics in garage.

no, the threaded block will NOT fall out. it sits on the crossmember. only way for it to fall out, is to break in half, or rip through the crossmember.

me too. if it werent for bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all.

he shouldnt, there are 2 half (1/2") inch bolts. two halfs make a whole...;) :D

#33 ·
I guess if I want to do any good I'll have to get the keys swapped out and get ANOTHER alignment :mad: I sure don't want that in the pic to happen . You said that was a buddies truck and by the picture it seems like it's lifted and has some big knobbies on it. I hope for my sake that was a major contributing factor to the breakage.
I guess if I can't get that done(I'll have to do it just hours before the pull) I'll do the best I can; maybe it will do as good as the guys that don't even turn theirs down.
If the guy from underwood tire wants to bring an extra hitch I may end up getting it from him. It's a little harder to resist a purchase when it's in your hand.

#34 ·
shep;1829416; said:
JD4440;1829359; said:
With the bolts out there isn't any way the threaded block can fall out is it? If it can happen it will happen to me. quote]

All trucks "level out" differently...no 2 are the same. As far the threaded block...I don't know, but if the bolt is touching the key at all I think you'll be fine.
Are those spring clamps pretty much the same as the ones in MYOJUNK's garage?

#35 ·
here are my pics. sorry it took a while.

It is a solid shank insert with a 3"id ring. All parts were picked up at a local trailer parts supply store.

I am having some issues uploading the pics. I have to head to a meeting but will load them in a few hours. SOrry!

#36 ·
#37 ·
here they are

I am going to try and come watch you guys, but I don't think that I will be pulling this time. I am going 4wheeler riding with some buddies above Nashville that weekend and was going to come up early just to give you guys some support.

Attachments

#38 ·
02 Durabeast;1833390; said:
here they are

I am going to try and come watch you guys, but I don't think that I will be pulling this time. I am going 4wheeler riding with some buddies above Nashville that weekend and was going to come up early just to give you guys some support.
That ought to work. probably tear my hitch up in the top holes like that :) . Come on over and say hi. You'll see us, we'll most likely be under one of the trucks doing something. We'll see ya'

On another note I did make an appointment to get the stock keys reinstalled friday morning. Surely I can get my 2" of lift I have now with the stock keys. I have had mixed luck with trucks in the past is the reason I bought them in the first place. Guess I'll use my 3" rise reciever with the 1" shackle if noone brings anything else.

#39 · (Edited)
well i got it all "did-up" today. heres a few pics. pretty similar to durabeast.

it comes out just a shade under the rear step of the bumper. mine measures 18 inches to the reciever, this adds about 5 3/4 inches or so. so if any of yall's recievers is higher (measured from the ground), it may have to be lowered down to work on yalls junk. i'll bring a few extra bolts and whatnot, just in case.

also, the "plug" in the bumper will have to be taken out. theres a 5/8's bolt to drop down through the hole where a ball would bolt up to. that part is also removeable, so if the inspectors where to raise hell about it being connected to the bumper. although without it, i do not believe the reciever hitch will survive very long..

#40 ·
JD4440;1833881; said:
On another note I did make an appointment to get the stock keys reinstalled friday morning. Surely I can get my 2" of lift I have now with the stock keys. I have had mixed luck with trucks in the past is the reason I bought them in the first place. Guess I'll use my 3" rise reciever with the 1" shackle if noone brings anything else.
when i put my stock keys back in, i was just a shade over the 2 inch mark. i think i have a flat washer under one t-bar bolt, and 2 flat washers on the other to acheive my desired ride height. then take em all the way out and through em in the floorboard for the pull.

#41 ·
myojunk;1833930; said:
when i put my stock keys back in, i was just a shade over the 2 inch mark. i think i have a flat washer under one t-bar bolt, and 2 flat washers on the other to acheive my desired ride height. then take em all the way out and through em in the floorboard for the pull.
That hitch is sexy-can I borrow it ;) .
I may have to see how this reciever shank and clevis work but I sure hate to use it and then decide I need a pulling hitch. That would be a waste of $70. Hope that guy from dickson brings those to look at.
If you only had to have a few washers I won't even have to worry about what size nut I need. Thats a good thing I guess. Wideopen is possibly bringing me an SD centerlink to look at. No good for friday but maybe soon.
Think It's a good idea to run all my electronics full on? I think so :D

#42 ·
always run it all turned up all the way! Balls to the wall. If you are nervous about breaking then don't hook. I say put her to the floor and leave her that way. ( I can say that because last year I managed to do $2300 worth of damage in a single hook!) Good luck and I will see if I can come hang with you guys.

Also keep in mind that Aug 19 we have a pull down this way. Lots of Dodges and very few Dmaxs.

#43 ·
JD4440;1834028; said:
That hitch is sexy-can I borrow it ;) .
I may have to see how this reciever shank and clevis work but I sure hate to use it and then decide I need a pulling hitch. That would be a waste of $70. Hope that guy from dickson brings those to look at.
If you only had to have a few washers I won't even have to worry about what size nut I need. Thats a good thing I guess. Wideopen is possibly bringing me an SD centerlink to look at. No good for friday but maybe soon.
Think It's a good idea to run all my electronics full on? I think so :D
sure, we'll all use it! IDGAF!! i also got a pintle loop from TSC that slides into the reciever, but it does not give any height adjustment. so if we break this cobbled up contraption, we'll have a spare ;) !!

didnt you dyno at BG? 468HP? wasnt that you? yeah, if i were you, i'd run them at the maximum. you can bet your ass mine will be maxed out!!:D

#44 ·
If I do $2300 worth of damage I'll have to park this thing behind the barn for a few months !!! I hope it was because of all the power your making :D If so I should be OK.
I never did dyno at BG. It just didn't seem like it was worth $75 at the time to have all the youngun's say theirs' made more than mine b/c they had a 260 hp tuner and I only made xxx hp.
BTW Chris, Good write up in the Sticky- I printed pics.

#45 ·
The damage was actually because at the time I had just had an alignment done and the Dummy that did it forgot to tighten up the upper A-arm bolts on the passengers side. When I got in it full throttle I got the wheel shake of death. It was ugly, Truck began hopping and tearing stuff up, but I didn't want to loose! I stayed in it until the truck would no longer pull. It had to be winched on a trailer for the ride home. But the best part is I did not come in last, I still beat one other Dodge that was there!!! It was worth it. I'll try and see if I can find the video and post it. Only for ya'lls enjoyment.

#46 ·
That's something I don't want to hear. I'm having mine lined up a few hours before the pull b/c of the keys.
I like your style though-win at all cost :D

#48 ·
I plan on being there Friday, If it will help any one. If any of you want to do the Torsion bar deal I can bring my unload tool. that way you can set the Keys with it back the bolt off with out worrying about loosing your key position?

#49 ·
myojunk;1835937; said:
BTW, do any of you guys know who that was last year that won the pull? it was a white dodge with stacks, he from down there?
The smokin' white goat is from Dickson. The truck belongs to a friend of the Underwood Tire guys that I was telling you about in Bowling Green. Underwood had the maroon ext cab Cummins that had trouble on the track and did not pull...his neighbor had the red CC Dmax that did not live up to what I thought it would do. I believe they are bringing 3 or 4 trucks (white goat, maroon goat, red dmax, maybe another white goat). These guys are the favorites to win in my opinion( I guarantee ya'll they pull in every class)...and no one in a DMAX has shown anyone in my neck of the woods that a DMAX can hang w/ a Cummins when it comes to sled pullin'.

#51 ·
Shep,

Better tune it up hot, there are a couple of goats from my neck of the woods that are coming up. I can hang with both of them and they are difinately beatable. But be forewarned they will put it on you if they can hook up on the track. Most of their issues here have been traction related.

One of them is a 97 flat bed, That is one of my best friends. I put about 4 ft on him last pull down here so he is ready to put the smack on a Dmax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.