Diesel Place banner

Left my truck in 4 wheel drive @ 80mph?!? What now?

49K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  TCosgrove 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what I should do or check after making a stupid but easy mistake to make in a GM truck? I left my 2005, 3500 GMC dually truck in 4 Wheel High and drove home yesterday. I drove it roughly an hour at 75-80 miles an hour in 4 wheel high! What damage did I cause and what should I do after making this mistake; besides "sell the truck". It's driving fine and making no strange noises; so it seems to be fine; I just want to make sure I take every precaution to correct any damage now. WHY CAN'T GM PUT "4 WHEEL DRIVE" ACROSS OUR DASH READ OUT TO HELP PREVENT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's way too easy to leave a Chevy or GM in 4 wheel drive and not realize it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

#2 ·
I don't think you did any harm. Its just like driving down an icy highway for and hour. I'm not an expert but thats my opinion.

#3 ·
I have the 08 and the book says I can drive in 4 high at any speed.

#4 ·
I wouldn't expect any damage. I blew off a rear driveline on my old Bronce once and need to get home, so I pulled off what was left of the driveline and drove it 250 mile on front drive. Drove a little different, but never had a problem.

#5 ·
I drove about 50 miles on the highway with my 02 in 4wd. I even pulled over to check what the noise was. Then I realized and felt very stupid, but thank god it didn't hurt anything and that was over 3 years ago.

#6 ·
DuallyMonster;1930836; said:
Can anyone tell me what I should do or check after making a stupid but easy mistake to make in a GM truck? I left my 2005, 3500 GMC dually truck in 4 Wheel High and drove home yesterday. I drove it roughly an hour at 75-80 miles an hour in 4 wheel high! What damage did I cause and what should I do after making this mistake; besides "sell the truck". It's driving fine and making no strange noises; so it seems to be fine; I just want to make sure I take every precaution to correct any damage now. WHY CAN'T GM PUT "4 WHEEL DRIVE" ACROSS OUR DASH READ OUT TO HELP PREVENT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's way too easy to leave a Chevy or GM in 4 wheel drive and not realize it. Thanks in advance for your advice.
put it back i 2wd and you will be fine:D

Reactions: BizzyBeezz
#9 ·
Well I'll tell you to check the oil level in the front Diff. I drove high speed about 70 mile's in 4X4 mode by accident and blew about 1/2 QT of oil out the vent.

Later Tom

#10 ·
How fast are guys trapping on the dragstrip in 4HI?

#11 ·
Yeah, could someone explain the correct 4wd launch procedure to me!

#12 ·
Change your fluids if it really bothers you. I did it 50K ago and it no harm.

#13 ·
ziadmax;1931069; said:
How fast are guys trapping on the dragstrip in 4HI?
124+ mph:D

#14 ·
Since you were going so fast, you must have not been doing much turning, in which case I wouldn't worrry about it. The only time I have heard of that causing problems is if you are on a curvy road that will cause the front diff to generate a huge amount of heat if the tires cant slip.

I totally agree with you about the miniscule reminder GM provides that you are in 4WD, particularly with these pushbutton units that can be accidentally pressed.

#15 ·
lbbest;1931081; said:
Yeah, could someone explain the correct 4wd launch procedure to me!
1. Engage 4HI

2. Engage Tow/Haul

3. Stand on brake with left foot.

4. Throttle up to desired RPM or boost. (I prefer about 1800 RPM or about 4-5 psi)

5. Let go of brake while flatfooting throttle.

6. Hold the frack on.:eek:

#16 ·
ziadmax;1931427; said:
1. Engage 4HI

2. Engage Tow/Haul

3. Stand on brake with left foot.

4. Throttle up to desired RPM or boost. (I prefer about 1800 RPM or about 4-5 psi)

5. Let go of brake while flatfooting throttle.

6. Hold the frack on.:eek:
Be sure to drop those torsion bars first!! ;)

#17 ·
Are there any electronic guys out there that could tell me how to change out the little LED in the 4wHi switch to a blinking LED. I don't use 4w all that much but ocassionally I leave it on a then feel real stupid when I feel the truck start to bind up in a tight parking lot turn. I figure the small blinking LED would catch my attention quicker than the tiny orange one that is there now.

#18 ·
The only damage you may have done is give yourself high blood pressure worrying about it.....................................................

Should be fine, since you did not break an axle.

#20 ·
Leave it in 4HI, it won't hurt it. Good for front end lubrication.

#24 ·
mtnbike4522;1933639; said:
i doubt you broke a thing.. during the winter i drive alot in 4hi @75mph

but if it was 4lo you were in..... id be worried :HiHi:

No harm done. Actually they say to engage 4WD from time to time even during the summer months to help keep everything lubricated (obviously straight line travel is preferred when you do it). If you are worried check the fluids (GM front diffs are usually a little low from the factory anyway). The only damage you may have caused is a little extra tire wear on the front and I highly doubt it's even measurable.

Fugetaboutit!

As for 4Lo, the ECM will not allow you to go over 40MPH (at least on the 06's).

#25 ·
Change the transfer case fluid also, I did when I did it in my truck after pulling my trailer out of a pasture to load a horse. Drove 70 miles @ 75 with the trailer, and so far no problems.

#26 ·
If it'd been in 4Lo you couldn't have stood the NOISE.............LOL

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.