2wd? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Competition > Drag Racing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Drag Racing Discuss truck setup, driver technique, rules, regulations, organizations, etc. for drag racing.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
duramaxnokaoi
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2wd?

What all would it take to get a nicely modded 2WD Dmax to do a boosted launch at the track and not spin?

I know slicks, but is there anyone running a 2WD dmax at the track in the 500HP range and hooking up good?

Thanks,
Sean

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
jbrown1132
Diesel Apprentice

eliminating the spring wrap, lower rear gears ratio, real good sticky tires or slicks would be best. you would do better at the drag strip with a ladder bar type of set up that could help transfer the weight to the rear axle, like a drag car setup, but then driving on the street would suck big time. also, the possibility of u joint or drive shaft failure will go up drastically the more your able to plant the power and launch like a drag car does.

305 MT ATZ's on eagle alloy 17x10
'07 F350 DRW Lariat 4x4
Tow Boss Package with 4.30 gears
4" turbo back straight piped
EGR deleted, FICM w/Atlas 40 by Ed
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mitco39
Diesel Boss

Send a message via MSN to Mitco39

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Fill the box full of sand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
jpowel29
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Adding weight at/near the rear axle does help. I just installed some QA1 adj front shocks and will be moving some weight around (moving batteries to frame rail) and adding a line loc. I have slicks and Cal-Tracs. A second gear launch trans tune will help with a boosted launch.

My best 60' with Cal-Tracs and slicks (before doing any of the above changes and leaving the line at 2lbs of boost) has been 1.91.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
BattleMax
Diesel Apprentice

Get M&H full drag slicks along with some traction bars. My manual trans 2wd truck pulls high 1.8-low 1.9 60fts easy with out doing a boosted launch or EVEN HEATING THE TIRES. If your truck is an auto then launching will no problem. The best thing you can do is get your pinion angle set and running the slicks at right psi. If one of those is off you will spin all the time. There is no need to put extra weight in the back of your truck to get it to launch good. If you add weight then you are just covering up a problem and slowing your truck down.

Black Reg Cab 2wd
6-Speed

Last edited by BattleMax; 07-31-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
duramaxnokaoi
Clutch

Good info thanks guys. I'm trying to sell the 05 I have and get an 06 so it'll have the 6 speed and supposedly better bearings and a few other things I think they upped the anti on. Just trying to figure out if I really need 4WD or not - it rarely snows out here anymore so the track is the only reason, but it looks like slicks and some bars might be able a good start...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in