Sleds - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Competition > Sled Pulling
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Sled Pulling Discuss truck setup, driver technique, rules, regulations, organizations, etc. for sled pulling.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Leadfoot
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Sleds

As to not take away from the TS results thread, I thought I would start a new one here:

TailerproPop made some good points. What do you think about the sleds you pull on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerproPop View Post
I really don't care for a sled setting that hits so hard at about 285', that my truck and most locomotives would stop in the next 8 feet. To me, it seems harder on the truck than a couple extra seconds longer pull.
I agree 100%. I've had a sled stop so hard with my gasser that I would have ended up in the steering wheel if it weren't for the seatbelt, but the sled we normally pull on starts fairly easy (not as easy as some, but definitely easier than others) and gradually comes on without the harsh hit and I wonder why they all can't be like that (I guess it's sled design).

3. Most pullers complain loudly about hard starting sleds, therefore the alternative is to slam everything at the end, or lengthen the track.
Again I think sled design could help minimize the gap between a hard starting sled and hard hitting sled.... The sleds with the front mounted ram seem to be the worst for coming on like a ton of bricks at the end.

4. When all competitors pull about the same distance, it gets boring.
I guess it's personal preference, but I prefer a photo finish in NASCAR and on the pulling track. When one truck spanks the others or there are wide gaps it usually starts raising questions about driver cheating, or sled not being consistent (which is not good for the sport).

5. Crowds like long tracks.
I've found the opposite at most venues. As with the guy videotaping Kusileks (spelling???) truck and the camera going up the trees at the end because he could not see it anymore, most people like being able to see the whole track with little obstruction. The longer the track, the more chance of not seeing something.

Congratulations to the Cummins trucks at Bowling Green, the Duramax's' will just have to try harder. And we will.
I want to make it clear that I'm not saying this because Dmax did not win (Congrats to all the Cummin's guys), its because I'm looking at making our club better and trying to learn. It seems I may have some misconceptions.....

What are your thoughts about sleds and track lengths as a puller or fan?

2006 Metallic Blue CC 4x4 SB LBZ/Allison: Champion Transmission, Mike L PI converter/cooler/C3 oiler, T-case brace, EFI Live with Salad, Blocked/Fingered, Kittyless/Mufflerless, MBRP cool duals, Mag-Hytec tranny/rear covers, E-Locker, Kennedy dual pumps and pickup, custom pulling blocks and hitch, and TC 4" lift/PCV reroute from Tony B, Realift torsion bar relocators.

1980 K series pulling truck: Full Roller 454+, 3:1 first gear planetary full manual TH400, Twin Sticked NP205 with Ford 32 spline front output, High Angle Driveshafts, Dakota Digital Dash, 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, 35" Mud Kings mounted on chrome wagons, Custom blowshields, and a "Leadfoot" to match

Last edited by Leadfoot; 04-27-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
STROKE THIS DMAX
Diesel Boss

Badger State Diesel Club Member

Midwest Smokers Member

Around here, we don't usually have pull offs so the winner is out 310+ most of the time. Which I like, I think its bull**** when they only let you run like 280 just cause they don't want a pull off. Make it a floating finish and let'em run the crowd likes it.

2004 Chevy CCSB LLY

Built motor by Curtis H.
Tuned by Robert O.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diggin Deeper
Clutch

Send a message via AIM to Diggin Deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKE THIS DMAX View Post
Around here, we don't usually have pull offs so the winner is out 310+ most of the time. Which I like, I think its bull**** when they only let you run like 280 just cause they don't want a pull off. Make it a floating finish and let'em run the crowd likes it.
X2!! We do the same thing at our pulls. It is hard enough just trying to get the trucks and semis through in a timely mannor before the audience gets tired of sitting in the stands. We have been fortunate and had some good sled operators at our pull who cares about putting on a good show just as much as we are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
bogger
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i like it when we're out around the 300 mark. 250 and less is ****ing boring. i had one pull that i got third and pulled 337. that was the best pull ever cuz everyone could see perfectly and the track speeds we're awesome.
2004.5 chev cc/sb LLY, MOONSHINE tuning, SCIV, ProFab downpipe, MBRP 4in exhaust, AEM CAI, Exh manifold upgrade, PCV Reroute, EGR blocked, PPE Fuel rail, Cobalt Gauges, AFE intercooler tubes, Fass 150, 265/75/17 BFG AT's on Helo Maxx8 rims

Last edited by JoshH; 04-27-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: word filter violation
Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
20DirtyMax03
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogger View Post
i like it when we're out around the 300 mark. 250 and less is ****ing boring.
X2 I like getting some speed going down the track.

Last edited by JoshH; 04-27-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: word filter violation
Old 04-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
SledMax
Diesel Apprentice

INDP Member

The Crowd loves full pulls!!!! Thats what sells tickets
Old 04-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
HeavyHD
Diesel Expert

INDP Member

Midwest Smokers Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledMax View Post
The Crowd loves full pulls!!!! Thats what sells tickets
Exactly! I think 300-330 is acceptable but when multiple guys are goin out in 360,390 or whatever its kinda rediculous and pointless. The pullingtrack is 300ft most the time, keep it that way. Just my .02

Daily Driver.....Weekend Warrior

*Maxxed Out Pulling Team*
Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cumminsdriver
Diesel Nut

The sled we usually run with around here is kinda hard to start out with, and you dont get a lot of speed with it, but it doesent stop you hard at all, and they usually have it where 300ft is about where the mean trucks stop.

My Cousin broke a 2 piece rear driveshaft almost every time he pulled a "running sled" last year, but every time he pulled that old sled he never broke a rear driveshaft. He has a 1 piece driveshaft now, and pulled at TS Saturday with no breakage, but it seems to me that the running sleds are harder on things because of how hard you get stopped.

I like both styles of sleds, and track length doesent matter a lot to me as long as you can see it. It was stupid to have that tent at the end of the TS track though because I couldnt see any of the trucks once they got past that at probably 340' or so. I wish they would of tightened the sled down so that the winning pull was around 320'. That would have been fine IMO.

1994 Dodge 2500 4x4 reg cab CTD/Auto with some go fast parts

Sold:
95 Chevy 6.5 Diesel 2500 4x4 Auto - 129k miles

Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tazman10
Diesel Nut

I would rather go 350+ feet than have a pull off. The fans eat this stuff up when we pull that far.

Lets face it guys...we are here for the fans and the TS event proved once again the fans love to see these trucks run. The sled operators have figured that out and they let us run to please the crowd. A 400' track is a little long but it was still fun.

Just my opinion based off the fans that came up to me after the pull.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
zstroken
Diesel Head

The 300' is a target, and should try to be obtained. The issue with 275' tracks and a 390' track is that this can throw truck setup out the window. Guys set their truck up, by gearing etc. It is like setting your truck up for the quartermile and they said hey lets run .1 mile today, or maybe .5?? For the winner to run 350 isn't a big deal, but for them to get 390' and the rest of the class is over 300'. Seems a little loose. Of course this can't be helped as maybe the lower power trucks are puling first, and/or the track could be like at scheids last year that as they ran it, it got way better. The first people hooking should know how their truck runs and if you know your truck is far from the the top truck there, you might say something to the flagman. We have done that before, went like 320' and told the flagman that their are several hotter trucks present. They readjusted the sled and we went like 300' The top truck went 325'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in