Diesel Place banner

LMM Exhaust: DPF,Non-DPF,Tailpipes,Full Systems,Codes,Mods

Info: 
271K views 400 replies 138 participants last post by  WYO Mike 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll start it:

Here is a thread for all LMM exhaust related talks. There have been about 4-5 new questions a day that are covered in several other threads. The LIGHTING / HID sticky thread did (and is doing) so well, I thought it was time to start one about LMM exhaust mods.

At this time, I have put on the MBRP S6026409 DPF-back tailpipe. Highly modified near the axle and back, for the NINE INCHES of rear drop on my particular rig.

Also, at this time, I have the MBRP S6004409 TURBO-back system sitting in the box on my garage floor. I will run that back to the slip-connection-joint that is just in front of the axle on the S6026. So, I will end up with an extra brand-new tailpipe assembly from the S6004 kit. I still figure this is easier and money ahead of manufacturing a new system at a muffler shop from front to rear. Plus, it's all mandrel and stainless.

I am running the Quadzilla Stealth-2 tuner, and have the NON-DPF tunes standing by (on my PC) to load and handle the codes.

Here's my current tailpipe/tip, which will stay with the new system:

See less See more
#2 ·
Side shot

Here is a side shot of the tailpipe after mods to tuck it up, away from the road:

#4 ·
EXACTLY. I PM'd DIESEL DUALLY (moderator) and asked if we could do this. As mentioned, especially since it worked so well for the HID/Lighting stuff.

#5 · (Edited)
#220 ·
More info....

There are 2 kits often sold - catback and turboback. Be aware that turbo back kits are NOT really from the turbo, and are basically a front pipe back kit. To get a true turbo back exhaust, you need a replacement downpipe such as the Diamond Eye 4" downpipe. McRat sells them here: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209068

TByrne has an excellent post here: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197360 on removing the DPF for off road purposes.
Gang - Thanks so much for all the tips here for the LMM DPF delete procedures. I want to add a couple of things I learned so that you folks don't have to wrangle with things like I did.

Use the procedures as described so wonderfully pa32rt and TByrne.

In addition to those instructions, the following 2 issues were overcome quite easily:
1 - Front DOC section removal
2 - Rear muffler-to-tip removal

First of all, many people have said "just swing the Tranny cross member out while using a floor jack to support the tranny... this simple isn't necessary.

If you REMOVE THE HANGER ASSEMBLE which mounts via TWO BOLTS to the tranny case, you're good to go. There are TWO BOLTS which connect the hanger which hold/held the front DOC unit - REMOVE THIS. Once you remove this the unit will twist and simply fall out toward the front of the truck. The better news - you don't need to reinstall the hanger assembly becuase it isn't used with MBRP/Magnaflow/etc anyway. (keep it so you can reinstall it at inspection time if necessary.

Secondly - the muffler-to-tip section comes out very easily IF you do TWO THINGS. 1- once the back section is loose and free from hangers, LOWER THE SPARE TIRE ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND. This will allow the most room for coersing the pipe. 2 - JACK THE TRUCK UP FROM THE TRAILER HITCH so that the back wheels are almost off the ground. Once this is done, the unit slides right out over the rear axle and toward the front of the truck.

That's it. If I hadn't jacked around not knowing I needed to drop my spare, and if I had just completely removed the 2 bolts holding the front hanger in the first place, I would have been done in 90 minutes flat.

Hope this helps - if it's redundant, at least I tried to give a little back to those who helped me.

Merry Christmas - BLACK SMOKE!!!

#6 ·
LMM Exhaust Thread

Great idea for an exhaust thread pa32rt. :thumb:
You are right about all the new threads each day for LMM stuff. The lighting thread did work out very well and is still doing good as you said.
This is a great way for LMM guys and new diesel owners to do all the reading in one main thread.

That thread by tbyrne that hut posted is great for anyone who wants to do a turbo back/dpf delete kit. It includes pics and details on what to do.

#7 ·
alright guys, I have spent all my time trying to learn about the LLY t know find out I'll be getting an LMM (believe me I'm not complaining) But I have very little knowledge of the new generation. I ordered a 5" MBRP for my LLY I'm just going to assume that this will not work on the LMM, would I be correct ?

#9 ·
Did you order a turbo back kit? if it has the four bolt flange you can still bolt it on after the doc. You will still need tunning since your removing the dpf.

#14 ·
And, you probably won't be happy with the lack of sound. It will still be almost as quiet at stock.

#16 ·
Yes.

#19 ·
X2 I like it and it takes care of more codes than just the dpf:D

#31 ·
Hey jeazor, I know of a member Bubba who did the MBRP Duals on his LMM.

He posted some photos of it installed in this thread:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201580&page=3

At one of our last SoCal Club Truck Night events, a guy brought his truck which had the turbo back Duals installed on his LMM. Looked really good on his truck.
Also, when he drove off, the dual system seemed to have a real deep and agressive sounding exhaust tone. Sounded a bit more agressive than the single exhaust.

#21 ·
Here's a question. When I remove my DOC and DPF can I start running LSD again?

#22 ·
scematic of LMM exhaust from turbo ?

I live in WV and, though we don't have emissions standards to meet (YET) we do have annual equipment inspections. I'm told by the only garage certified to inspect modified vehicles in my county that I can do essentially anything I want with the exhaust so long as it retains the kat.

I'm planning on getting a tuner & a new exhaust without the DPF. after reading some of the posts here I'm more confused that I had been. Can y'all give me some advice on what's currently on the exhaust market that would allow me to have a turbo back straight pipe but with either the stock kat somewhere in there or an aftermarket kat ??

Oh .. also ... I must be dumb as a hog .. what's a DOC ??

#23 ·
I live in WV and, though we don't have emissions standards to meet (YET) we do have annual equipment inspections. I'm told by the only garage certified to inspect modified vehicles in my county that I can do essentially anything I want with the exhaust so long as it retains the kat.

I'm planning on getting a tuner & a new exhaust without the DPF. after reading some of the posts here I'm more confused that I had been. Can y'all give me some advice on what's currently on the exhaust market that would allow me to have a turbo back straight pipe but with either the stock kat somewhere in there or an aftermarket kat ??

Oh .. also ... I must be dumb as a hog .. what's a DOC ??
DOC is "Diesel Oxygen Cannister". Otherwise called a Cat, but it is not technically a catalytic converter in the gasoline term.

This is not a difficult dealio.

Order MBRP part# S6004409 (turbo-back exhaust) and any of the programmers you wish. I use the Quadzilla Stealth-2, as you can run it with the DPF or without. For $400, it can't be beat for "basic" tunes and other options.

EFI LIVE is an excellent product with many more options in tuning, but for those that don't need it, it is not worth the extra $ ($700 or so). I just want to pick a HP level and go. That is what the stealth does for me.

That's about it.

#25 ·
Hey thanks a million PA32RT. I was thinking that there was a Catalytic Converter in addition to the DOC on these new diesels. This is my third diesel but just now getting into mods.

I lifted the truck the day after I bought it & my wife asked me when I was gonna grow up. When she asked me that I told her that I never wanna grow up & her comment just made me wanna pimp it up a lil more :D

I'll follow your advice & letcha know how things turn out.

Two quick follow-up ?'s .. Is one vender cheaper on the exhaust & quad? & I read somewhere that some programmers screw up the remote start .. any like problems with the quad ?

Thanks in advance for a response.

#29 ·
It SHOULD be bi-ennial. Every OTHER year to keep it fair with gas powered vehicles.

#33 · (Edited)
Is this new exhaust on my lmm going to be a problem in july when I am in wheat stubble or dry grass? Sometimes it gets so hot here in western kansas that you can start a fire in a stubble field with a drop of tabasco....is a regen out in the field a major fire hazard? One of the reasons I own a diesel is because its not a fire starter like a gas exhaust system....

#34 ·
Ohhhh Yeaaaaahhh. When in a regen cycle, take a look at the tailpipe - either in the rear view mirror at a stoplight or standing outside. There is a solid heat plume swirling about. Sometime, when it's cooled off, crawl under and look at the tubing. It surely has already turned a "tarnished" color from the heat. It gets super-hot.

#35 ·
Does anyone know for a fact what size the stock exhaust is on the LMM trucks? It looks larger than 3.5" and I held a "square" measuring tool next to it and it looks like 4" but It was fairly dark and I couldn't tell for certain. Trying to figure out what size pipe I need for my DPF delete :D

#36 ·
If I want to dump my exhaust up behind the rear bumper could I just order the front half of the exhaust from MBRP and then have an exhaust shop bend up the rear portion?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.