Diesel Place banner

2400 Watt block heater.

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  oil pan 4 
#1 ·
I'm building my block heater. Well its really a coolant heater but you get the idea.
Originaly I was going to use a 240V, 2400 Watt hot water heater element.
When I was looking at the wide selection of hot water heater elements at Lows and saw the 2400W element and thought wasn't that big.
Then found the largest element they stocked, a 4500W element. I had a gut feeling 4500W might be a bit to much.
So I went for a 3500W instead. That is what I will be useing a 3500W 240v hot water heater element.
It is $25 worth of parts. I bought every thing form there, didn't want to chance not having something.
I won't even have to weld any thing like I thought I would. The Heater element has 1'' threads, same thread count as the 1'' NPT but not tapered like an NPT part. Enough teflon tape and an O-ring should seal it up.
I'll have pictures up soon.
Will test this weekend or next.

#2 ·
Wow. 3500 watts... It must be really, really cold where you are. The original heater was 650 watts and is adequate for me as far down as the thermometer goes...

Post pics... :cool2:

#3 ·
Well it works.
I tested it on my Z28.
The 3500W block heater didn't work as quickly as I wanted. It took about 30 seconds to start making a little heat. After a minute it was making warm heat.
To get the heat from the engine that I was getting form the hot water heater element the engine would have to be warmed to about 120'f.
With the heater element I was able to get some heat with the temp gauge pinned below 100'F. With the heater fan blasting on High it started putting out warm heat, then the engine temp started to pick up very quickly. It passed "100" on the gauge in record time.
Well I would have to say, a 4500W element wouldn't be to much.
I might leave the 3500W heater on the camaro and build a 4500W heater for the truck later.
I pulled the rig back off to make it safer. Like hooking up the ground and covering the terminals.
To get 240v power out to my car I used my 11meter long plasma cutter extention cord that I made when I was in japan.
I did have one of those "what the hell am I doing moments" when I was pluging my car into 240v.

Attachments

#5 ·
What I will do is plug it in all night (with no power), then in the morning switch on the 240v breaker and walk out and start the car or truck and let it run for a 2 or 3 minutes and by then it should be making good heat.
Winter rate power is a lot cheaper then gas for car warming.
That coolant heater I made is connected in serries with the heater core.
I think I have to much wattage to trust to a passive system on that small of heater line. Plus my coolant heater is the highest part of the system on my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.