Diesel Place banner

lbz software

8K views 64 replies 24 participants last post by  eangler 
#1 ·
does anybody know when the lbz software should be coming out:)

#38 · (Edited)
Ben is correct, the actual "Text" of the message is not sent on the data bus, those messages are programmed in to the cluster.

The LBZ scanning is coming along well, we are trying to get full standalone scanning on the new V2 hardware working with it as well as all other GM diesels, yes, that includes the 6.5L too. FYI, the V2 hardware has a bulit in buzzer so you will be able to set up limits for any parameter that will set the buzzer off once that limit is reached.
The V2 hardware should be able to replace the TechII as a standalone scanner as we add more and more functions in over time. Because the firmware is upgradable via the USB port all new features will be a simple download from our website, free of course.

Cheers,
Ross

#44 · (Edited)
off the top of my head, Tech 2 gives you...

every module's input/output data (radio, BCM, amp, CDX, RSA, IPC, DRR, etc...)

each of the modules have about 10 or more data streams... ie, the AMP shows bass %, trebel %, batt voltage, DSP setting, volume %, fader and balance settings.......the DDM shows the status of all the seat motors and switches and heaters......the IPC shows all the info going in and out of the IPC and DIC......radio shows what band is being played xm,am,fm,CD, signal strength, GPS signal, VSS signal, amplifier type, whether a CDX, DRR, or RSE has been detected by the radio, Theftlock status...

Bi-di body stuff:
amp recalibration
HVAC fan/vent mode control override
radio VIN relearn
IPC tests/control
BCM output control
DDM/PDM output control
couple others...

the body stuff is why im still hanging on to the Tech 2 for now...like my HVAC controller was throwing some code for a "floor vent actuator performance" or some crap like that. I looked up in the service manual what to do when that DTC was set and one of the steps was to command the vent mode and temp mixing doors/valves to different positions with the Tech 2 and get their readings.

#48 ·
hahaha!!! Thats freakin awesome!!!!!! :eek:

I notice thats a GMT-900 cluster....is it a lot more complicated talking to it with LS GMLAN? Is Class II/1850VPW a lot simpler?

have you tried it with -800 clusters? I was always under the impression that the -800 clusters had messages pre-programmed....like for example, ive swapped in my dad's Tahoe cluster in my truck just for kicks......no high idle and no other HD/diesel specific messages/DIC options came up in the DIC.

#49 ·
MoJoe, that is very interesting.......

To be honest, Ross...that avatar is better than all of our ideas.....

#50 ·
GMLAN and Class II are completely different protocols, but they have a lot of similarities. The message structure is very different between them, but some of the diagnostic codes used are the same. I will be trying an -800 cluster this week, if I have time. I am sure that I can do it, just like the -900. My goal is to learn more about the engine and body computer data that is on the bus, read it, and display some custom information on a truck PC LCD touchscreen and/or the cluster DIC.

As far as your cluster swap with a Tahoe, I believe that the HD/diesel specific messages are in every cluster. You would have needed to reprogram the cluster with the HD/diesel option content, so that it knows use the diesel messages, and not a Tahoe's.

My next upgrade will be converting my current cluster to look like an Escalade. I have the standard Escalade graphics overlay, not the special US Speedo Escalade diesel version, so I would like to fix the tach so it reads correctly at full scale. I also have the issue with the oil gage that goes to 120 full scale on my truck. I don't know whether I want the Escalade oil gauge to read exactly 50% of the actual pressure, or to overtravel the 80psi mark when it is cold. The other issue for me is, because I have the 6-speed trans with the Manual shift option, the Escalade graphics will have the standard P R N D 3 2 1 instead of my current P R N D M 1

#52 ·
Ross, I am curious. Did you create the message seen in your avatar by overwriting bytes in the cluster microprocessor memory, so that when a specific status was broadcast to the cluster, your message was shown instead of the regular warning? Or, did you send your own string directly to the cluster DIC, like I did?

Ron

#54 ·
very interesting info Ron....that is just awesome!

im not going to derail this thread into another one of my crazy ideas, but as far as making a -900 electrical module work in an -800, would you need to make a SWCAN/low speed GMLAN-to-Class II translator or could you swap out the DLC chip in the -900 device for a class II DLC chip? I dont know anything about the electrical engineering behind this stuff, but that would seem to simple to be true. It must be able to be done, because some vehinces like the early C6 corvette and Saturn Vue use GMLAN for the radio and entertainment stuff, then use Class II for the IPC and other things. Reading the GM tech docs, it appears teh BCM serves as this gateway/translator....hmmm

ben

#55 ·
The BCM might have some translation functions, I don't know... Putting a -900 cluster into an -800 would be pretty difficult. It would be a pretty huge project to map all of the BCM to cluster functionality from the GMT-800 product to the -900 one. A home-made translator would have some inherent lag time, so gauge and message response time would suffer. The microprocessor in the cluster in not replaceable, and is designed into the circuitry of the product. Also, the circuit board behind the -800 cluster has Class II communication networking hardware designed in as a part of the circuitry.... a lot of things to overcome.

I still plan to send custom messages to the current -800 cluster this week.
What about creating a completely new cluster interface by installing a couple of LCD screens in place of the current display, and making a new PC-based graphical cluster?

#57 ·
TRULY AMAZING! How does a simple guy with an over average amount of knowledge in electronics do this to his (my) own truck ?

#58 ·
Damn how did I miss this thread, I need to spend more time in EFI section. There is no way I'm getting a tuner with EFI coming out, 500RWHP will take care of me for a while.

#60 ·
New to the board, 07 LBZ on the way. I don't even have the truck yet and I'm getting excited. Being an electrical engineer (true geek), and tuner of old, this is Heaven. I used to dream of the day when I could hook a computer to a car and cure it's ills. In fact I used to have all my cams made to my specs, now no more cam changes (except on my '72 - gotta get the fingernails dirty once in a while)!

I'm not looking to compete or anything but create some tunes for everyday driving and occasional towing, with the option to tow a 12000 boat once or twice a year. If I can use the same equipment on the truck and my '02 TA I see no sensible alternative. I thought the idea of displaying pillar gauge information was teriffic. Is this doable?

Just one question, is there anything EFI Live CAN'T do; i.e. any reason why I would need anything else?

#61 ·
eangler;1235284; said:
New to the board, 07 LBZ on the way. I don't even have the truck yet and I'm getting excited. Being an electrical engineer (true geek), and tuner of old, this is Heaven. I used to dream of the day when I could hook a computer to a car and cure it's ills. In fact I used to have all my cams made to my specs, now no more cam changes (except on my '72 - gotta get the fingernails dirty once in a while)!

I'm not looking to compete or anything but create some tunes for everyday driving and occasional towing, with the option to tow a 12000 boat once or twice a year. If I can use the same equipment on the truck and my '02 TA I see no sensible alternative. I thought the idea of displaying pillar gauge information was teriffic. Is this doable?

Just one question, is there anything EFI Live CAN'T do; i.e. any reason why I would need anything else?
Not to disappoint you but so far EFILive will only work on LB7 and LLY trucks until MY2005.

#62 ·
eangler;1235284; said:
It wont get you laid. Chicks dont like smoke I have found :( ):h :joke:

Like was mentiond EFI live isnt out for the LBZ......hopefully it will though.....I wish it would come out with the scanner version.....I would LOVE to have that ability.

#64 ·
ratlover;1235369; said:
It wont get you laid. ...
You must not be writing your tunes correctly...

:D

#65 ·
Flashscan;1236270; said:
Some of our new hardware units have been shipped out to beta testers and selected workshops so we should get some LBZ scanning feedback over the coming weeks. We'll keep you posted.
:cool2:
From what I've read I won't really "need" it until the cat runs away from home.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.