Diesel Place banner

99' K2500 6.5TD Suburban.. wimpy tow rating

15K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Veg_Out 
#1 ·
I was looking in my owners manual for tow rating, only 6000#. WHAT!! That is the same for my 5.7 gasser. The 7.4L gasser is rated @ 10000 with the same gears. I am really suprised at this. There are a lot of people in this forum towing up to 12k and more with the 6.5TD.

I have plans to upgrade the exhaust and get gauges soon. Then I want to get a Turbo boost controller and new PCM. I have a travel trailer dry weight @ 7000# and with water and gear could be up to 8000-8500#'s. I really hope these upgrades will tow this weight just fine.

What do you think??

#2 ·
Changing to the 4.10 gears will get your tow rating up to 7,500. The truck will also feel a bit peppier with only a small effect on your mileage. With a 4x4 this conversion can get a bit pricey unless you can find the pieces in a junk yard.

The added power will help, but make the gauges a priority. Towing without them is a good way to overtemp your engine. I've towed a 7000# trailer without much trouble, even in the hills of West VA.

Jake

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
ive got 3:73's in my 3/4 ex cab s/b 4x4, I can town in excess of 10,000lbs and not work the truck too hard and that was thru the mountains and with stock air/exhaust

#4 ·
How much $$$ you want to put in it, I'm capable of pulling 18K, but don't pull there very often, mine is stickered for 6K, so would probably have to fight a ticket in court bringing all my evidence with me why I'm okay with it.

#5 ·
I was looking in my owners manual for tow rating, only 6000#. WHAT!!
You sure your looking in the right place? My book says 8,000lbs.. and I still think that's too low for a 6.5TD.

#6 ·
Depends on what package the vehicle came with, go to RPO code in FAQ and you will see the different rating limits, generally S engines carry the lighter ratings, final gear ratio, suspension (springs/frame/wheels/tires), vehicle base weight, & braking rating are players in how they are rated from GM no method to the madness IMO, gassers witrh lesser equipment sometimes carry higher tow capacity.

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah. It blows me away my truck is rated at 8000 with a 14 bolt rear and a Titan is rated at 9400. Don't make sense to me.

#9 ·
Gross vehicle weight is different than gross combined vehicle weight. Something is amiss. Titan's only have a wimpy dana 44 in the rear end. I have towed 23,000 combined gross vehicle weight from Ca to WY over the worst passes in the rockies with a slightly modded 6.5 and it did very well.

#10 ·
Yeah. I know something is amiss. I went to buy a towhauler and when the guy looked up my towing capacity it said 8000 lbs. I know my GVW is 8600. So when I got home I went online and sure enough Trailer Life Magazine said 8000lbs.

#11 ·
Sound like I am in the good. I bought the truck since it is a 3/4 ton truck and should have a much higher tow rating than my 1/2 ton.

I plan on gauges before any mods to increase power.

Thanks friends.. :)

#12 ·
Take my 4.10's

Well, if you find your way to Boise, let's trade gears. I'm working on a veggie conversion and won't be towing. Been looking to go to higher gears.

Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.