Diesel Place banner

heated seat problem?

13K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  C.A.P 
#1 · (Edited)
my heated seats turn themselves off after a few min. is there a recall or am i the only one with this problem?

#2 ·
What year is your truck? It seems to me there was a tsb on this.

#8 ·
Here are 2 TSB's

Intermittent Heated Seats Inoperative, DTC B3941 Set (Reprogram Driver Seat Module) #05-08-50-008 - (Aug 19, 2005)

Intermittent Heated Seats Inoperative, DTC B3941 Set (Reprogram Driver Seat Module)
2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali
All with Seat FRT, Individual (Non BKT) (RPO AN3)
2003-2005 HUMMER H2 with Seat, Front Bucket Deluxe (RPO AR9)
Condition

Some customers may comment that occasionally the seat heater will not operate when activated. If the ignition key is cycled OFF and back ON again, the heated seat will operate correctly. Also, on some LB7 diesel engine vehicles, the seat heater may turn itself off during the first 10 minutes of operation. This occurs only with the first activation for the day and works correctly with subsequent activations immediately after the event. These conditions are intermittent and DTC B3941 may be set.
Correction

Technicians are to reprogram the driver seat module with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 6.5 available June 13, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

#9 ·
Heated Seat Inoperative or Shuts off in 30 Seconds - B1825 B2435 B2440 B3606 - keywords driver left passenger right #PIT3287C - (Dec 7, 2005)

Heated Seat Inoperative or Shut Off In 30 Seconds B1825 B2435 B2440 B3606 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2006 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2003-2006 Hummer H2
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Driver and passenger heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds. There will be DTCs B2435, B2440, B3606 and/or B1825 set in the Drivers Seat Module. The adjustable pedal position sensor, seat recliner position sensor and both heat seat thermistors share the same 5 volt reference internal to the Drivers Seat Module. A fault in any of these components/circuits can make the heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds, as well as, the seat recliner and/or adjustment pedals may move in short increments when operated. A fault in either heated seats, adjustable pedal or seat recliner will affect BOTH heated seats.
Note: If vehicle is not equipped with adjustable pedals DTC B3606 will not set.
Recommendation/Instructions:

To help isolate the area of concern use the Tech 2 and go to "Sensor Data" in the Drivers Seat Module. Monitor the following parameters for being out of range:
Recline Position- Normal range .39V-4.58V
Pedal Position (if equipped) - Normal range .39V-4.58V
Psgr. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V
Drvr. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V
If a parameter is found to be out of range inspect circuits for any opens, shorts to ground, or voltage. If none found replace the suspect component.
Please be aware of the following common areas of concern:

The adjustable pedal position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the adjustable pedal position sensor and see if the heated seats start working correctly, if so replace. Important: The APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensor is NOT the adjustable pedal position sensor. Make sure the correct sensor, adjustable pedal position sensor, is disconnected.

The seat recliner position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the recliner position sensor and see if heated seats start working correctly, if so replace.
An open in either heated seat thermistor circuits (signal or low reference). The most common is the passenger thermistor where it passes through seat connector C305 pin "L" or "K" or C399 pins "R" or "G".
A chaff to ground on either heated seat thermistor signal circuits. The most common is circuit 5475 black/red or dark blue shorted to ground in the passenger seat near the buckle. Important: The heated seat thermistors act differently to "OPENS and SHORTS" than the adjustable pedal position sensor and seat recliner position sensor. The adjustable pedals and seat recliner sensors can be disconnected for testing of the heated seats. Where as the heated seat thermistor circuit must be working correctly before EITHER heated seat will operate. Disconnecting one thermistor, which may have a concern will not allow the opposite heated seat to work correctly, BOTH side must be operational before EITHER heated seat will operate.

Clearing DTCs

If DTCs will not clear when using the Tech 2 after a repair has been made, try operating the device in which the repair was made. Example, if a repair was made to the passenger heated seat thermistor circuit, the DTCs may not clear unless the passenger heated seat is operated.

#11 ·
so if you put it on high it is supposed to stay that hot all the time , seems mine starts to burn and turns down , then I think I forget about them ,
are they supposed to stay hot ? I thought there was a thermostat to turn them off, as mine seem to cool off after 10 min or so

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.