Mold in AC - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Interior
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
torin
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Mold in AC

Does anybody know how to get mold smell out of the AC system, or know how to clean out the fan box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
lawdogso
Diesel Fanatic

I am a certified mold tech. Pm me your email and I'll tell you how to fix your problem.
lawdogso
Old 09-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Post it up here so it stays in the system for future searches.
My sister just had her new car bought back by GM for a water leak which turned into a bad mold problem.
NRA Member, GOAL member
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
underPSI
Diesel Master

NC Dmax's Member

Just turn your fan on and spray some deodorizer spray into it so the fan sucks it through the system.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
lotsofmiles
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Michigan Oil Burners Member

deodorizer won't kill the mold. If the other user doesn't post it, I think I have the procedure in one of the manuals from a class I took. I'd have to do some digging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
Some say he was conceived in a cargo van
Old 09-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
lawdogso
Diesel Fanatic

Well, In a nut shell you need something strong enough to kill the mold. Microban has been a friend of mine for a long time. You need to fog it into the air intake vent of your vehicle. Deodorizer will not do anything except mask a serious problem. There are to many heaelth risks associated with Mold. Don't half ass a cure for the problem. So after you have fogged the mold in the vent you need to get the vent system clean. How do you do this on a vehicle? Well you're going to have to get creative. Try taking a rag wet with Microban, on a wire and plung down the vents. Try a refigerator coil brush. I really dont have the perfect answer for cleaning auto vents . You will want to take the fan out and clean that as well. Remember... Microban is your friend. Feal free to do a direct surface spray where you can. After you manage to get the entire vent system wiped clean you need to fog the intake again to kill what ever Mold spores are left over. So before you even start with this you need to figure out why the mold developed in the first place. Is there a drain line plugged? Did you not blow out the A/C system with fresh air after using it? I always run the fan on high a few minutes after using the A/C to dry the vents. Try this to start and it should take care of the problem.

Last edited by lawdogso; 09-07-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
mconway
Diesel Technician

I would imagine that if you are going after the mold, be careful about turning the air on until you have cleaned all surfaces. Need to be careful that after you attack the mold, that the spores that they will release to keep their colony going (think startrek) can become air borne and you do not want to breathe that.
1) '03 GMC 2500HD Dmax/Ali Ext/Short 4x4; 4" exhaust, egt and boost gauges; exhaust brake; Bilsteins; BD exhaust manifold; Oil Guard bypass; Lubrication pre oem fuel filter; Tekonsha Prodigy; Mag-Hytec differential cover; Suncoast V transmission w/deep oil sump; Filtermag all around; Cooling system filter
2) '07 Classic GMC 2500HD Dmax/Ali Ext/Short 4x4'; Alcoa Wheels 265/75/16 tires, Bilsteins, Silastic shackles, BD exhaust manifold; Oil Guard bypass; Lubrication pre oem fuel filter; Tekonsha Prodigy; Federico sway bars; Dipricol boost and egt gauges; TransGo Jr., Mag-Hytec differential and transmission pan; Filtermag all around
Member #13 of the OIL is OIL association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement