Diesel Place banner

A/C Mold smell (what to do?)

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  148CMEUPHI 
#1 ·
I disconnected the fan blower the stealer installed. It was draining my battery overnight. It helped keep the ac ducts from smelling moldy. It worked great. I just dont like draining my optimas down to 11 volts every night.

Is there any other way to keep that blast of moldy air from hitting me in the face when I start my truck in the AM?

#2 ·
You can use the Cooling Coil Coating thet GM recomends to spray on the evap. to disenfect the system (part#12377951). You will probably have to do this often every so often as the smell returns.

#4 ·
Bleach and water 30/70, crank the A/C all they way up spray it in the cowl may take a few times.

#5 ·
Also, Lysol will do the trick. Spray it into the outside fresh air intake cowl just at the bottom of the windshield.

#7 ·
Call one of the air conditioning companies where you live. There is some product that comes in a aerosal container that is used in household systems that kills the odors that can arise. Used some in the house, forget the name, but it works good for a season. Ought to do same in truck AC.

#9 ·
I've always turned off the A/C and run the fan to blow out any moisture for a few min. before I turn off the truck

#10 ·
It was a real problem in my truck so I talked to the service tech about it, he said he would take care of it. When he replaced my cabin filters last time around he sprayed some kinda stuff on the heater coil/duct work and, Viola!, the smell was gone, that was a year ago and it hasn't returned yet! I wish I woulda asked what he used, but since I wasn't charged for it I did not push the issue.
JP

#11 ·
Ozium air sanitizer made by Waterbury Companies in Waterbury CT is what is used to sanitize air ducts and fans for doctors offices. I'm not sure where to get it locally.

#12 ·
You can find small cans of Ozium at car parts stores, but I haven't had much luck with it. Although my nose seem to be more sensitive then most.

#14 ·
MAX BOWTIE;1660087; said:
I've always turned off the A/C and run the fan to blow out any moisture for a few min. before I turn off the truck
x2

this is what I do every time I run the A/C

I usually just shut off the A/C about half a mile from my destination, so I don't have to idle and waste fuel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.