1995 Sierra, replaced door pins and bushings - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Exterior
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
konstan
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

1995 Sierra, replaced door pins and bushings

Man, what a difference! The door was really sagging, and the bushings were pretty much completely disintegrated.

The door is super heavy but the trusty HF cherry picker came to the resque one more time.

The old pins came out easily. I suspended the door with the cherrypicker, removed both pins, maneuvered the door so that I can insert the bushings.

I used a plastic mallet and vice grips to tap the bushings in place.

Then by wiggling the door I inserted the new pins and tapped them in place.

The hardest part was inserting the spring back. Its easy enough to get out, but a bear to get back in. I used two "forks" that came with my valve spring compressor and made a tool similar to the actual door spring compressor tool.

The door closes properly now with just a light push. The bonding with the truck has begun!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
ob--one
Diesel Technician

Holy smokes! A GM with door hinge issues. Been looking at fixing the drivers door for years, just can't get up for it. Congrats on the job. How many beers or how much time was your fix?
99 c2500 6.5 597000 kms.
srapped

08 CCSB
SOLD!

LML CCSB
5" MBRP downpipe back
H&S Minimax (Tow Tune)
Dominator 3
RW Liners
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
konstan
Diesel Technician

This was a two pint job... and if it weren't 95 outside with 100% humidity, I would've gone a lot quicker. I had to keep coming inside to cool off, so two hours total, including beer breaks and cleanup and all that.

You will need a way to hold the door in place, either with the help of two beefy friends or a cherrypicker or (and this is my personal favorite) a tree and a rope. Park it under the tree and yer good to go.

Trying to manhandle the door while ONE pin is in place while trying to insert the bushings for the other pin is for the birds, and you may bend the hinges. Tree or cherry picker is the way to go.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
gmmech
Diesel Technician

Now you need to look at your latch assembly, if the door has been sagging for a long time there will be a big groove wore in the top of your latch from the striker post, replace that and your new pins and bushing will last a long time, and every time you think about it squirt some lube on your new bushings.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
konstan
Diesel Technician

Will do... for now, on to the more urgent thing - the trucl runs a bit worm... so I am going to search and/or post in the 6.5 engine forum
Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
JD4440

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

TN Diesel Place Club Member

KY Diesel place Club Member

Welcome to the forum man.
Member #9 of the "OIL is OIL" association
EFILive (By JoshH)
EDGE CTS/Camera

Suncoast
Converters
M
erchant Automotive
Big Dipper (George)
Inglewood Transmission
Big Hog Customs

MadJack Racing
BANKS POWER
YourGMParts.COM
Alligator Performance
Performance Truck Products
Nor-Cal Truck

Creatures of the Night Performance

For a look at what these guys have done for me, See my Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.