Electric towing mirrors won't retract - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Exterior
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
bakrobb
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Electric towing mirrors won't retract

Can anybody tell me if I did something wrong?? I purchased some electric towing mirrors from a guy and everything seems to work fine except when I try to retract them they won't go in. The mirrors go down and toward you but the arm does not move. The mirrors came off of an 05 and they are on my 04.5..
Does it hurt the mirror to push them in by hand??

Thank you

PPE x-lerator

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
andym1996
Diesel Technician

Send a message via AIM to andym1996

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

my passenger side has done the same thing since 40k miles. I think its from operating them in cold climates. The grease gets stiff, and the motor works hard (from what i hear).... I have to have someone help it in and out when i use them. I was thinking of taking them apart, but am unsure of what is in there... any help is appreciated to me too if someone has a fix! (other than 06 tow mirrors, i am also ok with that!)

2003 GMC Yukon Denali
154k Miles
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
jdugie123
Diesel Master

Send a message via AIM to jdugie123 Send a message via Yahoo to jdugie123

Lone Star Diesels Member

mine did that once and i just brought them in all the way and then pushed the passenger side in the rest by hand and after that it has worked ever since that was 4 or 5 months ago

Traded In
: 04.5 D/A MBRP 4" cool duals with muffler delete, volant air intake, EFI Live,raptor 100gph, suncoast level IV, ATS copilot, nicktane fuel filter, 6" RCD, 37" Super Swamper M16s , 4.56 gears, bushwacker cutout fender flares, wet okolie set covers, MTX subs with a sony amp, full replacement front with 9.5K warn winch built in and rear replacement bumpers, B&W turnover ball both gooseneck and bumper hitch
Old 04-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
03LB-7dmax
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I have the fix..... i did a write up not to long ago,I dont know how to copy/paste the link,so do a search on...How to fix the power mirrors

2007 CHEVY LT-2 CREW CAB
all stock, work truck
Old 04-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
schulte
Diesel Master

CNY Diesel Club Member

CT Smoke Member

I know mine don't like the cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer
I guess I can go put kerosene in my supersoaker and sue them when I burn my house down.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
banshee42096
Diesel Master

Michigan Oil Burners Member

maybe a stupid question but was your truck set up for power extending mirrors.i know when the dealer replaced mine for binding they had to reprogram it also?
silverline exhaust 304.all synthetic oils.trippen overhead mount and autometer phantom gauges,tx cai mod,blocker plate,ppe hot plus 2 et (just for the economy setting),cognito hd tie rods,pitman and idlerbraces,ppe race valve thanks mcrat.new addition lbz mouthpiece mod
Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
andym1996
Diesel Technician

Send a message via AIM to andym1996

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee42096;1741119;
maybe a stupid question but was your truck set up for power extending mirrors.i know when the dealer replaced mine for binding they had to reprogram it also?
It sure was! it has the factory extracting mirrors from the factory and they work, just not all that great!

2003 GMC Yukon Denali
154k Miles
Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
trouttrooper
Diesel Technician

I had nothing but problems with mine. Took them in 3 times under warranty because one or both would either not retract or not go out. From what I understood from the mechanic there is a kinda clutch system involved, and if they aren't adjusted right they will slip too easily. The last time in they said it was adjusted so tight that it chewed up the gearing so they replaced them with new ones (tried to get them to put the new "ford style" ones on but the warranty wouldn't cover it...oh well)

Doesn't really hurt them to push by hand. Ideally have someone push the button at the same time.
2005 Chevy K3500 SRW, 8.1/Allison, CCLB, 4:10's, G80

The few...the proud...the BIG BLOCKS

3500 SRW club member #002
Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
bakrobb
Diesel Fanatic

When I push the button to retract them the motor doesn't turn on or nothing, the mirrors fold down and that is it.

PPE x-lerator

Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Frozen_Sierra
Diesel Technician

Armed Forces Club Member

Here's a dumb question. These mirrors were already on my truck when I bought it but when I extend/retract the mirrors the passenger side goes all the way in/out automatically but the drivers side will only move as long as you hold the button, is that normal??

X2 on them not working worth a crap in the cold.
'05 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC/SB LLY - 6" Pro Comp w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Cognito UCA's - Pro Comp Limit Straps - 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Black 18" XD Monsters - EFI Live Tuning via Spade Jack w/ DSP-5 - 5" MBRP Downpipe Back w/ Muffler Delete & 6" Tip - EGR Blocker Plate - AFE Turbo MP - AFE Stage II CAI - AFE Intercooler Pipes (Hot & Cold) - AFE Rear Diff Cover - Transgo Jr. - DuramaxTuner.com Allison TCM Tune - Russell Steel Braided Brake Lines - Pyro & Boost Gauges - Toshiba HIR Headlights - Bose Lux Amp - Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller - Air Lift Bags w/ Wireless One Compressor - Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares - Billet Grille Insert - Eagle Eyes Halo Headlights - Anzo LED Parking Lights - Smoked LED Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light - Debadged - Pioneer Head Unit - 2 x 10" Kenwood KFC-XW1000F Subs & Kenwood XR600x1 Amp - Black Dee Zee 4" Oval Nerf Bars - MA Pump Rub Fix

U.S. Air Force - July 02 to Aug 08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread