Diesel Place banner

1983 water in fuel

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rambler1298 
#1 ·
Hello all! I'm new here. Not new to the 6.2, but new to my particular truck. She's got dual tanks, and the PO put a toggle switch in place of the original fuel tank switch. He says the water in light stays on because this switch controls that sender as well as the fuel gauge.... Is that true? I've drained and refilled both tanks to no avail. Next step is new sending units and a new tank switch. I've never had a dual tank Chevy.

#4 ·
:welcome:

If the light stays on, the filter usually has water, or the wiring is grounded, it doesn't have much to do with a tank switch. The 83's it could also indicate a restriction, but a believe that should come on with load and fuel usage. Water sensor is on the filter, but IIRC some of the early ones had something wired to the tank.

#5 ·
Your 83 has no sensor on the filter base. It is in the tank(s) How did you "drain" the tanks? Did you use the valves on the outside of the framerails near the front mount for the leaf springs? I believe you have to lightly pressurize the fuel system and open those valves to drain or "purge" the water if you will.

#8 ·
I had a problem after installing a new tank on my 85 that when I switched over to the new tank the water light would come on and truck would shut off. Come to find out the fuel line was crimped closed the light also reads off of pressure shortened up fuel line a bit and she's fi e now. Just got to replace other tank now because a pin hole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.