Diesel Place banner

Blowing Cig Lighter Fuse cant figure it out need help?

LBZ: 
6K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  306LBZ 
#1 · (Edited)
For the last couple of years or more I've had to replace my cigarette lighter fuse under the hood every so often. Sometimes it will last a couple months other times an hour or less. I dont use the lighter but now I use the plug to power a printer I use for work and my bluetooth OBDII adapter also runs off that fuse. It IS NOT the printer as it works fine on many other vehicles and my fuse has been blowing for a long time prior to using it in my truck. Anyway about a year ago I ripped the dash apart and looked for an obvious short in the wire but it looked good as far as I could tell at the time. I said F$#K it and just continued replacing the fuse since then. Anyway it annoying me again now since I need to run my printer off that plug because my satelite radio is running off the other one and I had another thought , is it possible the socket is somehow screwed? or would it have to be a short in the wire somewhere from the socket to the fuse box?

#2 · (Edited)
I was also thinking bad socket. You might consider also running a new line from the socket to the fusebox just to rule that out.

Maybe it's your device or your device's cord that's shorting out.

#3 ·
No sometimes the cig lighter itself would blow the fuse. I just wasnt sure if the socket could go bad somhow or not. Ill try that first its probably cheap. How does it come off? Can I just pull it out after disconecting a conection behind it? Also if that doesnt work how would I run a new wire to the fuse box exactly? It sounds easy enough but I know nothing about wiring.

#4 ·
Which procedure you use to get access to replace the power points depends on the options your truck has. There are several console configurations, etc.

On my '03, the panel that mounts the cigar power point comes out easily. There aren't any screws to remove. Once you have it out, the power point should be easy to deal with. From there, you might be able to deal with the wiring easily as well.

On your 2006, it looks like the entire Instrument Panel Lower Trim Panel may have to be removed. If you don't have a center console, this becomes a lot easier. If you have a center console, the Factory Service Manual says to remove it, depending on the options.

This is one of the times a Factory Service Manual is worth a lot. You *should* consider getting one as well.

#5 ·
I dont have a floor console just the flip up seat with storage console in the back rest. Will I be able to remove the dash surround that pops off the just unscrew the heater controls to get access to it or will i have to take the glovebox and everything again? Just cant picture it in my head right now...

#6 ·
I have the same problem with mine. The fuse blows only if I use the park brake. I don't use the park brake that often and it's fine. I haven't gotten around to see if there is a wire that is exposed when the park brake petal is pushed.

#10 ·
Does your parking brake pedal go all the way to the floor? I had that problem and GM, in their infinite wisdom, placed a wire bundle directly under where the pedal bottoms out on the floor. The bundle was being crushed when I put on the parking brake. Oddly, the bundle was anchored at that location by design. Dealer relocated it under warranty and no more problem.

#7 ·
I think you have to remove the glove box.

#8 ·
How do you remove the socket? i have the dash apart now n cant figure out how it snaps in. I tried depressing what looked like plastic clip pieces for the surround but think i broke one. Oops now itll be loose til i get that piece. Anyway how does the socket come out to be replaced with this new one i have?

#9 · (Edited)
#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the good info Heymccall. As usual you the man. So I obviously "half" broke the plastic "trim ring" because after trying to push the plastic piece I thought was a clip the plastic ring on the dash is now a little bit looser than it was before. No big deal but I cant for the life of me get the metal socket out of the ring with my pick or little screw driver. I put the dash back together for tonight and just left the electrical connected to the new socket through the seem in the dash for now. So how the hell do I get this thing out? am I going to have to cut it in a couple pieces and replace the black plastic ring too? what other parts do I need?

The part # for the socket or "receptacle" I bought is gm#25774623 It is for the RH side cigarette lighter not the power port on the Driver side(in case it makes a differemce). What else am I gonna need now and where can I purchase the special tool if I really need it(Im in canada)?

#12 · (Edited)
Went and bought a new plastic retainer(black plastic ring that can be seen on the dash surrounding the socket that the socket slides in to) and Im just gona replace that to now since I already loosened it up. My new question is, do I just have to break off the 2 plastic pieces that hold it from behind the dash panel? Or is it held in another way? I just want to be sure of how to go about it before I start so I dont break anything else in the process.

#13 · (Edited)
Well nm got it changed out just needed a better pick and some more force. Was a PITA but didnt take that long this time, hopfully this fixes my problem. Ill find out tomorro if it blows the fuse again or not I guess.

Was thinking though the part # for the socket or receptacle I got was GM#25774623 Im pretty sure this is a power port and not a cig lighter socket (the parts guy says no way but it looks like my other power port not like the cig lighter socket I replaced) No big deal to me , is there any reason that I shouldnt have used this? Also the Aux Power fuse for the other outlet is a 20amp the cig lighter fuse is a 15amp. Why is that and is it ok to use a 20amp now with the new socket?

#14 · (Edited)
I really don't like 20's on either circuit. Have you seen the wire gauge?
As for power point vs lighter socket, the power point will NOT accept a lighter element. Other than that, they are interchangeable.

#15 ·
Ya the size of wires was the reason I asked. I dont know much about electrical but wasnt sure why the aux power was a 20 n the lighter a 15. I know the aux power port wont work with tthe lighter no big deal though Im always prepared with a light in my pocket haha. Well Ill leave itwith a 15amp fuse then seems to be working fine today. Havent replaced a fuse yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.