Some rather odd gauge questions in an '85 C30 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
BarnabyBrown
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Some rather odd gauge questions in an '85 C30

Alright, here's an odd situation. So to fill everyone in on the background of this truck, it's an 85 dually that originally had a gas engine in it and was at some time in Nebraska converted with a 6.2 diesel with an ATS turbo on it. After coming to Illinois and living with a new owner for a little less than a year, it's now in my hands. Aside from needing a new alternator belt, it's pretty much in great working condition after a lengthy first-time head gasket replacement by myself, all members of my immediate family, and a friend of ours (thanks to everyone who helped with that, on and off the forum, by the way). So now that it's usable again I've been driving it around at night and a problem (well, it's not really a problem, which I will explain) that was originally not that big of a deal has become more of a big deal.

So, for some unknown reason, the temperature and oil pressure gauges don't work. However, there is a set of three aftermarket gauges that were installed that now give those readings. The problem is that they are in an odd spot, and aren't lighted. This makes them annoying during the day, and useless at night. I would like to get the factory gauges working again, but I need some advice on how to do that.

My assumption is that both sensors work fine, considering that the new gauges work well. The state of the gauges is unknown, although I can say that the temp gauge is currently pegged at the low end, and the oil pressure gauge is pegged at the high end, which I find odd. So basically I have these questions:

Would the connection at the new gauges be any different from that of the old gauges (my guess to this is Yes, considering that's how my luck goes)?

If there are different connections, what could be done about that?

How do I remove the gauges (or instrument cluster, for that matter) to check their operation, and how can you check operation short of hooking the sensors back up?

Where could I get replacement factory gauges, if necessary?

Would the conversion to diesel have required the new gauges be used? It doesn't seem like it to me, since the oil pressure hovers around 30 PSI at idle which is the middle mark on the factory gauge, and the temperature range should be about the same, I would think.

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now. If the project proves impossible or too annoying to keep going with, I will just add a light for the new gauges. But I would really like to get the new ones out of there.

I appreciate any and all suggestions, advice, input, and knowledge!

Thanks as always,

BarnabyBrown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
c502cid
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

It might be a while before I get to where my 84 is stored to look at it but here are a few answers off the top of my head.
The senders on the engine with the aftermarket gauges might be different than the OE sensors.
The factory dash cluster comes out easy. You have to locate all the screws, and if you have a tilt column it helps to lower it all the way, but it pretty much pulls right out. You should have a multiple wire plug in to the back of the cluster. Need to get a wiring diagram and find out if those wires have been pulled out to run to the aftermarket gauges.
I know diesels with factory tachs used a different cluster, but I have gone the diesel to gas route on this series trucks many times and the same cluster worked every time.
First step is to pull the cluster out and see what is up with the wires.
2010 Dodge 1500 4x4 CC 5.7 Hemi
1999 Dodge Durango 4x4 5.9 Old School 360
2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4 4.3 V6
1976 Chevy Corvette 350 / BW T-10 4 speed
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.