Help! Battery being drained periodically, can't figure it out - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
BIF1
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Help! Battery being drained periodically, can't figure it out

I need help, auto electric issues are like black magic to me. I'm not sure if I'm even describing the issue correctly in the title, but here's a rundown of what's happening with my truck.
  • Going back 9 months ago or even longer, at a frequency of about every 3-6 weeks, I would get in the truck and the clock would be off and radio on different station.
  • About 4-6 months ago, it would continue to do above at the same frequency, but in addition to that, and usually about a week later, it wouldn't start and I would have to throw the charger or jump it to get it started.
  • About 1-2 months ago, the frequency of the clock being off and followed shortly by what seemed like dead batteries, increased to about once every week, where the frequency is currently, but sometimes can be up to 2 times per week.
Here are some observations or things that have happened in the last 2 weeks;
  • When it did the dead battery/no start thing 2 weeks ago (click-click-click-click) I turned the key back off and then tried it one more time, and it fired right up. Made me wonder if its not the batteries at all, but something else like the ignition switch or starter issues? However, I've tried that trick again and it only worked that time.
  • A week ago when it wouldn't start the CEL came on and my code reader indicated it was a P0674- Glow Plug 4 Control Circuit.
  • A couple days ago it wouldn't start, I tested the voltage of the batteries, they were both at 12.5-12.6. Isn't that normal? However, I put the charger on the high amp setting and it fired up.
Questions;
  1. Does it sound like battery issues? Why do they have 12.5 volts, but won't start? But then again it starts when you "charge" them?
  2. Could it be a poor connection somewhere- ground, battery terminals, etc? If this is the case though, why does charging or jumping work? Poor connection should be poor connection no matter the voltage, right?
  3. Could it be ignition switch, starter issue?
  4. Could it be relocated the Glow Plug CEL?
Thanks!
Pareto Top Dog oil bypass filter,
PPE Airbox mod
Kennedy twin lift pumps,
EGR blocker
Tony's PCV re-route,
Amsoil fluids
Cognito UCAs, Fox 2.0 shocks, Cognito steering braces, Cognito tie rods, limit straps, NAPA upper & lower ball joints, Energy Suspension LCA bushings, 1" blocks in rear, Sulastic Shackles
KMC XD black 18x9 4.71"bs Ambush wheels w/Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/65/18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

Dude, the batteries are sulphated (ie...past their service life).

My electronic (capacitance/ high frequency) battery tester will show how many CCA's are left in each battery. Shirley, someone in your neck of the woods has a "non old-school" battery tester. Most, if not all, auto parts stores do.

The more times a battery is drawn below normal, the shorter it's service life. And each time, it loses a little more capacity.

BTW, I like the consistent performance from DEKA batteries, and the extended service life that I receive from them.

Search DEKA on here for plenty more on batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Master

There is voltage and there is capacity. You can take 8 AAA batteries and make 12 volts, but sure won't start your truck! As a battery gets old it looses capacity and likely they are shot. If in doubt, give them a full charge and have them capacity tested. And yes, a weak battery could explain all your symtoms, but so could a poor connections. The batteries would be the first place to start though.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

Line-X over the rail
Extang solid fold tonneau cover
1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
IHBB Member #2

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
BIF1
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
Dude, the batteries are sulphated (ie...past their service life).

My electronic (capacitance/ high frequency) battery tester will show how many CCA's are left in each battery. Shirley, someone in your neck of the woods has a "non old-school" battery tester. Most, if not all, auto parts stores do.

The more times a battery is drawn below normal, the shorter it's service life. And each time, it loses a little more capacity.

BTW, I like the consistent performance from DEKA batteries, and the extended service life that I receive from them.

Search DEKA on here for plenty more on batteries.
Hmmm.......... seeing how the batteries are only 20 months old, that would indicate an incredibly $hitty service life (Les Schwab X-treme batteries, 1000 CCC). Based on their age and the fact it turned over once, after being seemingly dead, I've been reluctant to think it was the batteries.

I thought I had the latest/greatest Black and Decker Smart Charger with all the bells and whistles, but it doesn't test capacity. I'll have to call the local auto parts store and see if their's does.
PPE Airbox mod
Kennedy twin lift pumps,
EGR blocker
Tony's PCV re-route,
Amsoil fluids
Cognito UCAs, Fox 2.0 shocks, Cognito steering braces, Cognito tie rods, limit straps, NAPA upper & lower ball joints, Energy Suspension LCA bushings, 1" blocks in rear, Sulastic Shackles

Last edited by BIF1; 11-24-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Master

It could easily be a loose / corroded cable as well. Batteries are always the first place to look, but both will give you the same symptoms

Summit White

Line-X over the rail
IHBB Member #2

Old 11-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
sgtkilroy
Diesel Technician

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Take em to auto zone. They'll test your batteries and your alternator for free.

2011 Camaro 1SS/RS 6.2L 6 Speed Manual

SoCal Diesel Trucks

Active projects: 1) Remote oil cooler/filter, 2) 2" stainless up pipes. :woott:
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Master

You mention 1000 CCC batteries.....should that be cold cranking amps?

I tend to like the smaller capacity ( 680 CCA) batteries. The plates are thicker and stand up to the vibration better.

And as said above, one bad draw down can be the end.

Also, fully charged, and idle over night, the voltage should still be about 12.8 volts, and stay above 10.5 cranking, and come up to 14.3 charging. In cold sub zero weather the charge voltage should peak about 14.8. If that doesn't fully charge the batteries according to a hydrometer test, something has to be fixed. From my read of your OP, it sounds more like a bad/corroded/burnt connection between the batteries, starter, and/or alternator. You may have a periodic drain that may be part of a bad connection.

'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05-times up - off warranty, now 144,000 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner on Tow mode, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, PopLock tailgate lock, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, "AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color

Last edited by turnpike; 11-25-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diaric
Administrator
Spam Assassin
The Old Crank

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIF1 View Post
When it did the dead battery/no start thing 2 weeks ago (click-click-click-click) I turned the key back off and then tried it one more time, and it fired right up. Made me wonder if its not the batteries at all, but something else like the ignition switch or starter issues? However, I've tried that trick again and it only worked that time.
  • A couple days ago it wouldn't start, I tested the voltage of the batteries, they were both at 12.5-12.6. Isn't that normal? However, I put the charger on the high amp setting and it fired up.
this sounds like bad connections or grounds
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FACTS AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
BIF1
Diesel Technician

I still need your help, but a little update.

I don't know if its correct statement to say that the batteries are dead, but in any case just about every day now, the truck does the "click-click-click" thing and won't start. That's if the engine is cold, if I've driven it recently (within the last couple hours) it starts.

I have however been able to get it to start either by continually trying, or as in today I popped the hood and wiggled the positive terminal connection on the driver's side battery, and it started. In either case this has made me feel pretty sure its a connection or cable issue, not the batteries!

However..........today I also finally got around to taking it to O'Reilly Auto and having them put their tester on it. Kid puts his tester on each battery and his tester tells him each battery is bad. I confirm what he's testing and he says the tester puts a load on the battery then tests. He says they are shot.

So now I am thoroughly confused. On one hand I'm able to get the truck started by continually cranking on it or jiggling the cable, which makes me think its not a battery issue, and on the other hand a load tester is telling me they are shot. Suggestions?!
PPE Airbox mod
Kennedy twin lift pumps,
EGR blocker
Tony's PCV re-route,
Amsoil fluids
Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Master

Have you checked the voltages as I suggested?

Summit White

Line-X over the rail
IHBB Member #2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.