new headlight suggestions.... - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
 
Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (5) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Technician
 
kcrebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On Walled Lake, Novi, MI
Posts: 388
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

new headlight suggestions....

Going with hid lo beams. 55w 6000k in spyder black projector headlamps with ccfl halos and leds. What would you guys suggest for the hi beam? I'm looking at the Putco Pure Nitro Blue 6000k Halogens. They will have to be H1's to fit in the new headlamp. Using same hid's in fogs with projectors. Going to wire leds and halos to drl's but would also like to add drl's to all on headlight mode so they illuminate at night also so in that case I will need a brighter more useful drl bulb. I know many people have wired them to the parking lights but that would not illuminate them for daytime driving.
Thanks in advance. This has turned out to be a real pita with all of the different issues I have run into...I know I will certainly enjoy it when everything is installed and functioning properly.
Offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Technician
 
kcrebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On Walled Lake, Novi, MI
Posts: 388
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Ok. Since after 52 reviews and no responses I called a putco dealer and he told me to stay away from the nitro blue bulbs that they were not very bright. He recommended the ion spark 3800k but I have to say it doesn't look very bright in the photos. I found these bulbs at another online dealer: H1 PlasmaGlow Platinum Series White Headlight Bulbs (Pair) 100 Watts. I am a bit unsure. They are 100 watts. Says they will work with factory harnesses and wiring however another 100 watt bulb on same website recommeds buying the harness upgrade for $14.99 to help dissipate heat. Is this creative marketing or proper protection? I don't want to melt anything or burn my truck up for sure but I do want to maximize my light outputs.
With the all on mod will this impact the size of the hi beam bulbs considering hid's in lo's and fog's and led's in drl's? Sorry for all of the questions. Someday I hope to have a lot of these answers and I will have pics before and after if and when I am finally finished with the everlasting project.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
gb043075
Diesel Technician
 
gb043075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 144
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

For what it's worth, I am doing the exact same upgrade as we speak (spyder black projectors, spyder black bumper lights, 55w 6000k kit from retro-solutions.com, they are extremely responsive and helpful thus far). I previously had a 35w 8000k HID kit for the lows that were installed a few years ago by a local 4x4 shop. They were decent at best. Looked cool, but not as good light output as the stocks in my opinion. Long story short, i contacted the shop to get replacemetn bulbs recently and they told me they didn't deal with HID anymore, and that the kits they installed were problematic "cheap chinese crap". Made me feel good knowing what I paid for them originally.

I plan to leave the stock 9006 high beams, i think i have run of the mill parts store sylvania in there now (although you mention above i'll need H1 bulbs to fit in housing which is news to me?). I"ve upgraded everything else interior and exterior to LED, including the DRL, have the grote flasher but have yet to find where the flasher is under the dash??? I've had to order, return, reorder a few bulbs (specifically the side markers) to get the right fit. Plan to leave the old HID fogs (cheap chinese crap) in until they die.

Headlights have not arrived yet, but my current plan matches yours, wire them to DRL's so they are on during the day (vs. wiring to parking lights). Also plan to do the all on mod at some point once i get the rest of this completed. Truck is a black LBZ, so i went ahead and blacked out the chrome grill and bumper while i was at it.

As for the 100w bulbs, I would personally upgrade the harness, just sounds like a problem waiting to happen IMO if you don't. Then again, I'm far from an electrical guru.

I've subscribed so i'll keep you in the loop if I learn anything useful along the way, but it sounds like you are ahead of me.
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax CC SB LBZ
EFI Live by PELA Motorsports
Air Dog
PELA Intake
Transferflow 45 gal tank
Transgo Jr.
ATS tie rod sleeves
6" Fabtech lift with 35x20 Toyo MT on Rockstars
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
irish yankee
Diesel Master
 
irish yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwest,AR.
Posts: 1,031
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I run hid in my hi/lo beam and fog. If you run hid for lo no other bulb except hid will be bright enough for you on hi. It's not like you cycle in and out of hi and lo all night at least I dont. If traffic is heavy I stay on lo. I have retro lights and they only take a few seconds to get to full brightness. I also run all on mod.
__________________
2005 Chevrolet Silverado LT Duramax/Allison 4x4
FPE Tuned (dsp5)
FPE Tranny (suncoast 3)
FPE Turbo (68mm)
FPE Turbobrake
FPE Tapshifter (sweet)

Airdog 150 (very quiet)
egr blocked

The turbo sounds sweet with muffler,bet it is way loud without muffler.

Thanks to Fleece Performance,the truck has been flawless. Nobody wants to play anymore
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
gb043075
Diesel Technician
 
gb043075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 144
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish yankee View Post
I run hid in my hi/lo beam and fog. If you run hid for lo no other bulb except hid will be bright enough for you on hi. It's not like you cycle in and out of hi and lo all night at least I dont. If traffic is heavy I stay on lo. I have retro lights and they only take a few seconds to get to full brightness. I also run all on mod.
I agree wiht what you're saying about highs not being bright enough when you have low beam and fog HID's, but i rarely (if ever) use my high beams in South Florida, and when i do i just flip on the 4 KC dayliters on front light bar, so I can't justify the cost for another HID kit for the highs, for now at least.
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax CC SB LBZ
EFI Live by PELA Motorsports
Air Dog
PELA Intake
Transferflow 45 gal tank
Transgo Jr.
ATS tie rod sleeves
6" Fabtech lift with 35x20 Toyo MT on Rockstars
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
gb043075
Diesel Technician
 
gb043075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 144
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Any ideas / suggestions here?

LED turn signals help please
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax CC SB LBZ
EFI Live by PELA Motorsports
Air Dog
PELA Intake
Transferflow 45 gal tank
Transgo Jr.
ATS tie rod sleeves
6" Fabtech lift with 35x20 Toyo MT on Rockstars
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Technician
 
kcrebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On Walled Lake, Novi, MI
Posts: 388
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb043075 View Post
For what it's worth, I am doing the exact same upgrade as we speak (spyder black projectors, spyder black bumper lights, 55w 6000k kit from retro-solutions.com, they are extremely responsive and helpful thus far). I previously had a 35w 8000k HID kit for the lows that were installed a few years ago by a local 4x4 shop. They were decent at best. Looked cool, but not as good light output as the stocks in my opinion. Long story short, i contacted the shop to get replacemetn bulbs recently and they told me they didn't deal with HID anymore, and that the kits they installed were problematic "cheap chinese crap". Made me feel good knowing what I paid for them originally.

I plan to leave the stock 9006 high beams, i think i have run of the mill parts store sylvania in there now (although you mention above i'll need H1 bulbs to fit in housing which is news to me?). I"ve upgraded everything else interior and exterior to LED, including the DRL, have the grote flasher but have yet to find where the flasher is under the dash??? I've had to order, return, reorder a few bulbs (specifically the side markers) to get the right fit. Plan to leave the old HID fogs (cheap chinese crap) in until they die.

Headlights have not arrived yet, but my current plan matches yours, wire them to DRL's so they are on during the day (vs. wiring to parking lights). Also plan to do the all on mod at some point once i get the rest of this completed. Truck is a black LBZ, so i went ahead and blacked out the chrome grill and bumper while i was at it.

As for the 100w bulbs, I would personally upgrade the harness, just sounds like a problem waiting to happen IMO if you don't. Then again, I'm far from an electrical guru.

I've subscribed so i'll keep you in the loop if I learn anything useful along the way, but it sounds like you are ahead of me.
The Spyder ccfl headlamps use h1 bulbs for both the hi and lo beams and the fogs are h3's. I got an extra set of brand new in the box of h1's on my desk as we speak if you need them that I bought for the fogs because the dealer told me wrong. That's what sucks so bad about dealers not doing hid. Some or most that I have talked with don't know or if they do won't even talk to you about hid out of fear of being fined. I get the fine part but it's not like their phones are tapped. Anyways let me know if you need them. They are ddm tuning 55w ballast 6000k h1's with the harness and extra 9005/9006 plug. I was going to return the kit but the dealer wants me to pay return shipping plus a 15% restocking fee and I have already found I overpaid $30 for them so I will sell them on here or just keep them as spares. I didn't buy them direct from ddm but I wish I had now. I bought the newest set from them. I spoke with a guy at retro who was a real jerk. My luck. I never called them back, their prices were high and service to me sucked so I moved on. Not complaining just stating facts. It happens and I'm sure that phone call isn't representative of their company but it is to me and there is just too much competition to put up with that crap. I may regret it later. Lol.
I initially placed a $1000 order from carid.com as I hoped buying at one place would save some on shipping, get a combo deal, etc. I have since returned 2/3 of it due to wrong parts, parts not working, etc. Total cluster. I have since ordered most of my parts from ebay where I said I would never order but I got so frustrated trying to find a dealer willing to help me spend my money. Lol.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Technician
 
kcrebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On Walled Lake, Novi, MI
Posts: 388
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish yankee View Post
I run hid in my hi/lo beam and fog. If you run hid for lo no other bulb except hid will be bright enough for you on hi. It's not like you cycle in and out of hi and lo all night at least I dont. If traffic is heavy I stay on lo. I have retro lights and they only take a few seconds to get to full brightness. I also run all on mod.
I was told that it would drastically shorten the lifespan of the hid bulbs to flash them on and off. I agree that the lo beams are really bright but the cutoff line isn't good enough for me once out in the more open areas of the city and especially the country where I would flash to hi beams and I would most certainly be faced with oncoming vehicles at some point so hid didn't seem like an option for me at that point based on my driving needs and the hid burnout concerns. Are you saying that you were told differently and it is not an issue to flash hid bulbs on and off? I was told it wasn't the warmup time it was the constant on and off cycling that would shorten the lifespan. Not calling you out by any means. Please don't take it that way. I'm asking. Trying to sift through all of the misinformation. That's why I went with the brightest hi beam bulbs I could find that were not hid. I can still change. Lord knows I have made plenty of changes so far.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Technician
 
kcrebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On Walled Lake, Novi, MI
Posts: 388
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb043075 View Post
Any ideas / suggestions here?

LED turn signals help please
No idea. I will subscribe to follow it though. I ordered all putco brand bulbs because I was told the resistors were built in and I would not need the load resistors for the flashers. Time will tell. I just got the marker lights for the front last night. The rest are in transit. I'm going to do it all at once so I won't get into it until probably the weekend.
On a side note what are you guys using for connectors and weatherproofing? I am using the antisplice connectors. I know I don't like them either but what else do you use without shaving wires (hate that) and wrapping? I have seen the heat shrink tape that you roll on and then heat to cure. Any experience? I was going to just use black electrical tape but that does deteriorate over time so I thought the heat shrink might be a more permanent solution.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
gb043075
Diesel Technician
 
gb043075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 144
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrebel View Post
The Spyder ccfl headlamps use h1 bulbs for both the hi and lo beams and the fogs are h3's. I got an extra set of brand new in the box of h1's on my desk as we speak if you need them that I bought for the fogs because the dealer told me wrong. That's what sucks so bad about dealers not doing hid. Some or most that I have talked with don't know or if they do won't even talk to you about hid out of fear of being fined. I get the fine part but it's not like their phones are tapped. Anyways let me know if you need them. They are ddm tuning 55w ballast 6000k h1's with the harness and extra 9005/9006 plug. I was going to return the kit but the dealer wants me to pay return shipping plus a 15% restocking fee and I have already found I overpaid $30 for them so I will sell them on here or just keep them as spares. I didn't buy them direct from ddm but I wish I had now. I bought the newest set from them. I spoke with a guy at retro who was a real jerk. My luck. I never called them back, their prices were high and service to me sucked so I moved on. Not complaining just stating facts. It happens and I'm sure that phone call isn't representative of their company but it is to me and there is just too much competition to put up with that crap. I may regret it later. Lol.
I initially placed a $1000 order from carid.com as I hoped buying at one place would save some on shipping, get a combo deal, etc. I have since returned 2/3 of it due to wrong parts, parts not working, etc. Total cluster. I have since ordered most of my parts from ebay where I said I would never order but I got so frustrated trying to find a dealer willing to help me spend my money. Lol.
Thanks for the info on H1 bulbs required, I will let you know if I want to buy yours. My best bet will probably be to return my retro kit for a swap out to H1 bulbs. Spyders will be here today and HID kit tomorrow so i'll dig into this weekend (along with trying to figure out my LED issue).
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax CC SB LBZ
EFI Live by PELA Motorsports
Air Dog
PELA Intake
Transferflow 45 gal tank
Transgo Jr.
ATS tie rod sleeves
6" Fabtech lift with 35x20 Toyo MT on Rockstars
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
headlight suggestions Waggie Electrical 3 09-16-2011 05:49 PM
Weird . . DS headlight out yesterday . . PS headlight out today . . . Xsta Z 28 Electrical 4 12-24-2008 10:45 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
© AutoGuide

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0