Diesel Place banner

Auxiliary Input on Radio - Install

27K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  BrennanK 
#1 ·
I wanted to share my experiences installing an auxiliary input on my Bose, OnStar, and XM equipped truck. I used a iSimple ISGM535, it is a completely plug a play system; nothing more then inserting it in between the radio and existing harness.

Unfortunately I did not get any pictures during the install process, but I have a few from after. The install was not complicated, but some steps were involved and it really helped having another set of hands.

1. I chocked off my tires and placed my shifter into first gear. Then I carefully removed the bezel surrounding the dash. The bezel just clips on, I started in the lower left and worked my way around.

2. After the bezel is off I was able to remove the radio. I choose to remove the climate control as well for more room and to not run the risk of scratching it. Pulling the radio was where the second hands come in handy, one person to hold the radio while the other person can wiggle behind it to disconnect the harness(s).

3. After everything was removed you simply clipped the supplied harness onto the existing one. Then find a place to hide all the excess wiring and the module. Then you can choose the location for your AUX port or cable. I put mine in the cubby just right of the climate control.

4. Reinstalling the radio was much simpler due to the extra length on the harness. The RCA antenna was still difficult, it was to short to pull out and connect. I had to fish around blind and feel it into the hole. To be honest, if I would have known how short it was I would have bought a 1 foot RCA extension and used that.

5. Now I reinstalled my climate control and replaced my bezel. I powered on my radio and pressed the band button until SAT appeared, then rotated the turner nob until AUX 1 appeared and press the second preset button the choose AUX1. (You will not have to do this every time, AUX 1 now appears as an option when I scroll through the band options.)

Notes:
Remove all the CD's prior to removing the radio. If you plan on working with the door open, I would disconnect your batteries otherwise you will have to listen to the chiming because the key is locked in when in first gear. When pulling the radio out, don't force it. Some of the harnesses have clasps and are really short. You will have to jam your hand back there and try and feel the harness off.

I choose to use a dual female 3.5mm keystone wall adapter so I would not have a cable hanging out, rather I would have a headphones port to plug in a aux cable. I attached a few images of it below.

The whole setup was just shy of $80.00, which is great in my opinion. I use my Android phone to stream Pandora or other services rather then paying for XM or burning CD's all the time.

I enjoyed the install and really enjoy the flexibility of my AUX input while still maintaining the stock look and functions.

If you have questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Im interested in doing this to my truck as well. I like your idea of using the female end in the cubby hole. Its discreet and clean.

I have a dumb question.....why did you need to put the shifter in 1st gear?

#3 ·
I do like the fact that its hidden away too. Im lookin to go to a droid and will probably end up doing something similar. how bad does that wear on your phone battery?

I have a dumb question.....why did you need to put the shifter in 1st gear?
in my experience at least, ive found it easier to get the dash bezel off with the selector way down in first gear.

#6 ·
Nicely done! I think I'll have to add this to my 'to-do' list.

#8 ·
Yes. They will not go directly behind the radio, as there is a metal bracket there. But, you can snake them around and tuck them into several nooks. I would say that 2 adapters is about the max you will be able to fit though.

If worse comes to worse, you might be able to get a harness extension or something from PAC to allow you a little more working room in addition to more placement options.

I do not have stacked adapters so I am not positive it will work, but you can email PAC and they will let you know.

#9 ·
I just bought a 2005 2500 and it has the same radio (it appears) as yours. It does have Bose, 6 changer, and OnStar, but how do I know if it has XM or not? I know that adapter will only work if I do have XM. Thanks.

#10 ·
So I checked it out and it looks like I don't have XM. When I scroll through my sources and bands I can't get it to go to XM. Also no XM antenna on the roof and no module behind the glovebox. It's my understanding that I need to have the dealer activate the XM feature on my radio for this setup to work?

#11 ·
I do not think you need XM for this to work. I believe it would just add a 'AUX' function to your band button. So when you scroll though you would now have FM,AM,CD, and AUX.

Before you go ordering it though send PAC and email or give them a call.
http://www.pac-audio.com

I bought mine here a while back:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_42513_iSimple-ISGM535.html

Good luck with the install. Let me know if you have any questions.

#12 ·
Oh ok I see it on PAC's site. Basically they are saying its compatible with my radio, but my satellite port may or may not be turned on. I guess best practice is to buy it and see if it works. If not I guess I'll need to have the dealer activate the port. Their wording is odd though, I can't tell if they mean that vehicles without factory satellite may or may not have the port active. Or just vehicles may or may not have the active port depending on if they had factory satellite or not.

#14 ·
#16 ·
I tried the Isimple setup, and was unhappy with the ui that is required to change modes. Returned it and went with Crutchfields Kenwood double din replacement radio. Hooked up with my Boze system, it works flawlessly. Bluetooth hooks up so easy and I just leave my phone in my pocket now on entering the truck.

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.