Advent OGM-1 Nav Radio Install Video - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
FranksS
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

thanks

2000 Camaro Z28
-AES 390... ready to be tracked

2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
-172 rwhp of fun
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
thunder550
Diesel Master

I just received my OGM-1 yesterday and installed it last night. I've done about 2 hours worth of driving around today and wanted to post my initial thoughts about the unit. My truck is a 2011 LT, non-Bose, factory backup camera in the mirror, and has factory-installed bluetooth and XM.

Installation: Pretty easy, no harnesses to splice together. In the video they make it look very simple. It's relatively straight forward, but not quite as simple as the videos above make it out to be. As with any other aftermarket stereo, you will still end up with a huge wad of wires to try and tuck behind the unit. There's 3 separate harnesses that come off of the OGM-1, one for the main power and speaker outputs, one for the A/V RCA outputs, and one for the A/V RCA inputs. Fit and finish are pretty good, but not quite perfect. I have a slightly larger gap above the unit than below, and it doesn't sit flush with the A/C controls below it, but it's hard to tell unless you're looking or feeling it. Button color is close but not exact, the OGM-1 buttons have a little more turquoise/blue in them than the factory ones. Factory backup camera wires were easy to tap into, but the proximity to the parking brake pedal concerns me. I may have to move my tap splices up further so the parking brake pedal doesn't rub on them and break a wire. I think it took me about 2 hours to do the install, and that's with running the GPS antenna, bluetooth mic, USB/aux port, tapping the backup cam wiring, and running a turn-on and signal wire for the amp that I'll be installing.

Navigation: I'm still getting used to the iGo Primo software (coming from a Kenwood DNX7140/Garmin unit), but I have a couple of frustrations so far. First is that on the first nav usage after starting the truck, the unit has to reload the nav software, which takes about 20-25 seconds. I wish it would do this in the background once it's powered on, but it doesn't do this until you actually push the nav button. Frustrating. Second, the map refresh rate is pretty slow, which makes it look really choppy. Usage wise, it seems fine...addresses are input differently than on my Kenwood, so I'm getting used to that but I haven't had any problems finding an address yet, although I've only tried 3.

Sound quality: This unit, with the 9 band EQ (and I'm assuming higher rated internal amplifier), makes the crappy standard stereo system sound decent. Much better than only being able to adjust the bass/mid/treble like on the standard radio. I'm getting ready to add in my pair of 8" woofers, and I'm hoping that once that's done I won't feel the need to upgrade anything else. It's definitely not audiophile quality, but it seems like it'll be good enough.

USB music playback: One GIANT frustration and bug here when I'm using navigation and playing music off of a USB stick: If I'm viewing the route guidance screen, every time it reaches the end of a song it hangs and won't go on to the next one until I switch back the USB screen. Once I view the USB screen the next song starts playing, and I can go back to the map screen, but again, end of song, no advancement to the next one until I pull up the USB screen. Almost a deal breaker IMO. A few other small issues....no matter where I am in a song, when I shut the truck off and restart it, the song starts over. The first few times I thought it was kind of cool, but when running errands and doing several short trip starts and stops it gets annoying to hear the same song over and over again. Also, the shuffle function gets turned off every restart.

Backup camera: since I spliced into the existing wiring, I now get the camera displayed in the mirror and the OGM-1 at the same time. Kind of cool. The mirror image comes up quicker when I jump in, start the truck, and throw it in reverse real quick, but the OGM image comes up pretty soon after, so it's not really a big deal. The picture quality on the OGM is not very good, but I've heard that it's kind of a hit-or-miss thing, and it's decent enough to get the job done. Definitely not what I was used to on my Kenwood unit with the Boyo camera though. I'm not sure if this is a camera or OGM issue. Parking sensor integration is very cool.

Bluetooth: I've received one call so far, and the lady I was talking to didn't seem to have any trouble hearing me. I mounted my mic on the top of the steering column right behind the hazard light switch. The interesting thing to me is that the factory BT system is still active, and can be accessed with the steering wheel controls. It bothers me a little bit to have separate BT systems, but that's just my minor OCD kicking in I think :P The dial pad on the OGM is nice, and it has A2DP capability so I can stream music (like Pandora) from my phone to the OGM. It seems like the answer and hangup steering wheel controls don't work with the OGM BT, but I'm not 100% positive on that one yet. One nice thing is that hitting the mic button on the OGM takes you straight into your phone's voice command system, saves the extra couple of steps on the OEM BT from having the say "Bluetooth", then "Voice", then wait for it to connect to the phone. One last note...the phone call I did take over OGM BT I had to turn the volume way up to hear the other caller, and when the phone call ended the disconnect "BEEP" that came through was so loud it almost hurt. I'm hoping there's a way to turn that down. My phone's bluetooth volume was all the way up, so that's not it.

XM: Integrates with the factory XM unit, seems to work great. Favorites are easy to program and there's a direct entry function, which I love because sometimes I want to jump quickly from channel 2 to 38 without having to push a bunch of buttons.

Overall it seems like a good system, but I really feel like it's lacking refinement. I feel like they got 90 or 95% of the way there, then decided that was good enough to go ahead and release. There's a few small things that could be tweaked to make this a really badass nav unit, and hopefully they will address these as they move forward. Overall my Kenwood unit seems like it was much higher quality, but having something that looks factory and doesn't need multiple adapter modules is great.
1999 RCSB 1500 4x4 Silverado - LLY/Allison swapped - 5300 lbs - 1/2 ton running gear - Inglewood trans - MLGK converter - 3.42 gears - TrueTrac - LBZ mouthpiece - homemade EGR delete - SDP downpipe - 5" Diamond Eye exhaust - LML DS manifold - Alligator PCV reroute - PPEI tuned - Kennedy twin lift pumps & mega filter - 1500 e-fans, dccontrol fan controller - 12.4 @ 108, 1.72 60'

Last edited by thunder550; 02-16-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
thunder550
Diesel Master

Oh, one other thing I though of during installation last night. The factory USB port is connected by what looks to be a standard mini-USB cable. I was thinking that it might be possible to still use it by getting an adapter and plugging the factory USB cable/port into the OGM port.

OGM --> OGM USB port --> standard male USB to female mini USB adapter --> factory USB cable --> factory USB port.

Hopefully that made sense. It's not worth doing this way to me since I've been concerned about breaking the USB stick or port since it sticks out the way it does, but it might be possible for someone else who wanted to give it a try. Just a thought.
1999 RCSB 1500 4x4 Silverado - LLY/Allison swapped - 5300 lbs - 1/2 ton running gear - Inglewood trans - MLGK converter - 3.42 gears - TrueTrac - LBZ mouthpiece - homemade EGR delete - SDP downpipe - 5" Diamond Eye exhaust - LML DS manifold - Alligator PCV reroute - PPEI tuned - Kennedy twin lift pumps & mega filter - 1500 e-fans, dccontrol fan controller - 12.4 @ 108, 1.72 60'

Last edited by thunder550; 02-16-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Reids Marine
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder550 View Post
Oh, one other thing I though of during installation last night. The factory USB port is connected by what looks to be a standard mini-USB cable. I was thinking that it might be possible to still use it by getting an adapter and plugging the factory USB cable/port into the OGM port.

OGM --> OGM USB port --> standard male USB to female mini USB adapter --> factory USB cable --> factory USB port.

Hopefully that made sense. It's not worth doing this way to me since I've been concerned about breaking the USB stick or port since it sticks out the way it does, but it might be possible for someone else who wanted to give it a try. Just a thought.
I read on another forum where this is possible with proper connectors.

Also read where you must ensure the the dash is reinserted along the bottom edge properly to eliminate what looks like a misalignment of the dash around the OGM-1. Once that is correct, it looks perfect around the unit.

Last edited by Reids Marine; 02-16-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Reids Marine
Diesel Technician

Quote:
... Fit and finish are pretty good, but not quite perfect. I have a slightly larger gap above the unit than below, and it doesn't sit flush with the A/C controls below it, but it's hard to tell unless you're looking or feeling it...
From another Forum:

...I just thought I'd give you a little heads up on your dash trim piece....see on the top left corner how the gap is bigger between the trim piece and the Advent then on the right? I had this issue as well, but if you watch Walt's LT install video, you'll see that to properly reinstall the trim piece, that you need to pop the "knee knocker" panel below the steering wheel down, so that the dash trim piece can slide in behind it. As soon as I did that, the fit was perfect and the uneven gap was gone. Just thought I'd let you know b/c it drove me crazy! Maybe you did do this, but that is exactly how mine looked before I figured out what I had done wrong...

Hope that helps!!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Reids Marine
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Backup camera: since I spliced into the existing wiring, I now get the camera displayed in the mirror and the OGM-1 at the same time. Kind of cool. The mirror image comes up quicker when I jump in, start the truck, and throw it in reverse real quick, but the OGM image comes up pretty soon after, so it's not really a big deal. The picture quality on the OGM is not very good, but I've heard that it's kind of a hit-or-miss thing, and it's decent enough to get the job done. Definitely not what I was used to on my Kenwood unit with the Boyo camera though. I'm not sure if this is a camera or OGM issue. Parking sensor integration is very cool...
It is the Camera. GM managed to source the lowest resolution camera they could find, which looks OK in the tiny rear view mirror display. When expanded to fit the larger screen of the OGM-1 the image gets all grainy. The only solution is to replace the camera with a higher resolution unit. I may not hook mine into the OGM-1 and just use the mirror display as is - or replace the Camera. I think ADC has a high resolution bezel mount camera that looks just like factory.

BTW: I would certainly talk to Walt about your other issues. Advent releases firmware updates all the time to address user feedback.

Last edited by Reids Marine; 02-16-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Reids Marine
Diesel Technician

I just remembered something else; Did you remember to do a system reset with the truck on? This is necessary for the OGM-1 to learn what it is hooked up to.

Last edited by Reids Marine; 02-16-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
thunder550
Diesel Master

Makes sense about the camera. It's not bad enough to do anything about it, I don't need HD resolution for backing up and hooking up trailers. It'll do

As for the gaps and alignment, I'm talking about actually around the radio. It's really not bad, but it's not quite as nice as the OEM radio was. Here's a pic I took today in light that really exaggerates what I was talking about. Take a look at the gap above the unit, it's bigger than the rest, and the shadow between the unit and the climate controls shows that they aren't quite flush. Definitely not a deal breaker, but it seems like it could have been done a little better.

I talked to Walt today and he had me write up the usability issues in an email and send it to him so he could pass it along to Advent. The only one that is really bad is the USB/Nav issue. Other than that, the other ones are almost more like preferences than anything else. Oh, and I haven't been able to get the loud BEEP at call disconnect to happen again. It's down to a normal volume.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
thunder550
Diesel Master

I got my subs and amp wired in yesterday, spent most of the afternoon tweaking the EQ, amp gain, and bass boost and got it to sound pretty good. I don't think I'll be upgrading any of the speakers. Thumbs up!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Reids Marine
Diesel Technician

Quote:
...As for the gaps and alignment, I'm talking about actually around the radio. It's really not bad, but it's not quite as nice as the OEM radio was. Here's a pic I took today in light that really exaggerates what I was talking about. Take a look at the gap above the unit, it's bigger than the rest, and the shadow between the unit and the climate controls shows that they aren't quite flush. Definitely not a deal breaker, but it seems like it could have been done a little better...
That's what I and the poster on the other forum was referring too as well. If the bottom of the dash panel is not tucked in correctly behind the lower "knee knocker" section it causes it to distort and not fit correctly around the radio. You have to pull the lower section under the steering column down in order to properly tuck in the main dash panel. It is also possible you do not have the mouning tabs of the main panel psushed in all the way - or the AC ducts aligned. Anyway, others have had this problem until they went back and checked the above and then it fit right.

Last edited by Reids Marine; 02-17-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.