Power Inverter Install? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Electrical
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Turbogator289
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Power Inverter Install?

Im looking at installing a power inverter through my tool box on the lower right and side by the truck bed. Does anybody have some experience with these things.....as far as what size inverter to use and best way to install.

If a ford accelerates at a stop sign and nobody is around to see it..........does it still lose?
2005 GMC 4X4
4 door, short bed
Rancho Leveling kit, full billitt front grill, pojector halo headlights, bug shield, window vent shades, chrome door handls(forgot the tailgate) sirius satalite radio, Viper 5900 SST responder alarm+remote start w/1 mile range(great for those cold colorado mornings!)
2004.5-2005 LLY 6.6
Edge W/attitude, Kennedy Boost Stick, egr blocker plate
Brute Force stage II Cold air intake
5inch Turbo Back Strait Pipe
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

INDP Member

I have used 2000 watt unit before. I ran the recommended size wire from the inverter plus to the positive on the battery. The grond I ran to the frame and bolted there. May have to remove some undercoating and then recover after installed.

Others thing I have done in this type of setup.
I have placed a rectacle through the box side with weather proof cover.
Also ran the output back into the cab and placed a rectacle in the dash cubby hole.
And last but not least added support to trun on the inverter from within the cab and the side box with open tool box.
Possiblities are endless.

Brian
Upgrades: Performance Truck Products for 5" MBRP Turboback 6020AL. Alligator Performance for EGR Blocker. DuramaxTuner for EFI-Live with DSP5 ECM Tune and TCM tune. Meyer Performance for Airdog 150 Gen 1 Lift Pump, Diamond Down Pipe. Merchant Automotive for Suncoast IV with 1056 converter, Amsoil Synthetic Fluid in everything, Pitman Arm Fix.
Configure your FlashScan V2 the way it should be http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=401770
Future: SDP S475 Twin Setup is here-install 6-18-11. On board Air with Side Step Tube Air Tanks, Custom Bed Fuel Tank and Water/Meth Tank.
New Toy: 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Red and all stock for now.

Check out: My Garage for pics of the Truck, Mods, and Toys.
UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Turbogator289
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanc Crusher View Post
I have used 2000 watt unit before. I ran the recommended size wire from the inverter plus to the positive on the battery. The grond I ran to the frame and bolted there. May have to remove some undercoating and then recover after installed.

Others thing I have done in this type of setup.
I have placed a rectacle through the box side with weather proof cover.
Also ran the output back into the cab and placed a rectacle in the dash cubby hole.
And last but not least added support to trun on the inverter from within the cab and the side box with open tool box.
Possiblities are endless.

Brian

what size of electronics can you run, any trouble with the battery/alt? whats the best way to run back into the cab? sorry man, lots of questions..

If a ford accelerates at a stop sign and nobody is around to see it..........does it still lose?
2005 GMC 4X4
4 door, short bed
Rancho Leveling kit, full billitt front grill, pojector halo headlights, bug shield, window vent shades, chrome door handls(forgot the tailgate) sirius satalite radio, Viper 5900 SST responder alarm+remote start w/1 mile range(great for those cold colorado mornings!)
2004.5-2005 LLY 6.6
Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

INDP Member

Never went to extreme. Kind of overkill for what i used it for. Mostly charging batteries for battery tools and family watching portable dvd player through ac power. Not really sure how far it would push the current electrical system of the truck.

Brian
Upgrades: Performance Truck Products for 5" MBRP Turboback 6020AL. Alligator Performance for EGR Blocker. DuramaxTuner for EFI-Live with DSP5 ECM Tune and TCM tune. Meyer Performance for Airdog 150 Gen 1 Lift Pump, Diamond Down Pipe. Merchant Automotive for Suncoast IV with 1056 converter, Amsoil Synthetic Fluid in everything, Pitman Arm Fix.
Configure your FlashScan V2 the way it should be http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=401770
Future: SDP S475 Twin Setup is here-install 6-18-11. On board Air with Side Step Tube Air Tanks, Custom Bed Fuel Tank and Water/Meth Tank.
New Toy: 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Red and all stock for now.

Check out: My Garage for pics of the Truck, Mods, and Toys.
UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN
Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Meeko
Diesel Master

Lone Star Diesels Member

How about an under hood genorator?? I have seen then instaled on TV but never seen one in real life. That would be the best.

2007.5 GMC 2500hd 4X4 4-Door Long Bed
Billet Grill, Cattlemans Boards, MBRP 5" Turbo-Back, No-Cat, No-Muff, No-DPF, PPE Tuner, BANKS intake, 20 inch chrome Rockstars with 37x12.50, Ranch Hand front and rear, 6" procomp, T3 rack,

God Bless America. If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in english, thank a soldier.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom S.
Life sucks-then you die.

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

4000 watt peak in mine. Look in my garages. Used 00 welding cable (from welding supply dot com) and ran it from the driver side battery to the inverter through flexible conduit (one wire in each piece of conduit).

I also used a cut off switch at the battery.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

You give me a water board, Dick Cheney and one hour, and I'll have him confess to the Sharon Tate murders. Jesse Ventura

Last edited by Tom S.; 12-20-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Turbogator289
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
4000 watt peak in mine. Look in my garages. Used 00 welding cable (from welding supply dot com) and ran it from the driver side battery to the inverter through flexible conduit (one wire in each piece of conduit).

checked out your garage, nice rig! where did you mount the inverter, did you relocate the plug in's?

2005 GMC 4X4
4 door, short bed
2004.5-2005 LLY 6.6
Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom S.
Life sucks-then you die.

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogator289 View Post
checked out your garage, nice rig! where did you mount the inverter, did you relocate the plug in's?
Inverter is mounted in my tool box, and I have an outlet on the tool box.
Attached Images

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

You give me a water board, Dick Cheney and one hour, and I'll have him confess to the Sharon Tate murders. Jesse Ventura

Last edited by Tom S.; 12-20-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Turbogator289
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Inverter is mounted in my tool box, and I have an outlet on the tool box.

Yeah, thats clean, looks good! Thats what im shooting for, just a def spot.

2005 GMC 4X4
4 door, short bed
2004.5-2005 LLY 6.6
Old 12-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
woodchuck2
Diesel Master

Quote:

You and i have the same invertor, got mine through Harbor Freight for $149. Mine is mounted inside my enclosed trailer now, i have run up to a 13 amp Makita skill saw with it. Truck had to be running and it blew the 40 amp fuse for the hot lead to the trailer so now i am putting a breaker in. When i had it in my other truck i had it wired directly to the battery and it would draw hard on the alt. but you could power any tool you wanted.
06 LBZ ECSB, 285 BFG All Terrains, 4" Flowmaster cat-removed, modified air-box with stock filter, Predator on 120hp tune, Kennedy tie rod sleeves, bedliner, window visors, 8' Fischer plow, 8' home made back plow with down pressure, tinted windows and Prodigy brake controller.

Sold, 06 LBZ RCLB, 285 Cooper Discoverer ST's, 8' Fisher plow, Line-X liner. Truck will be missed!

2002 GMC Sierra RCLB 1500 4X4 SLE, 7 1/2' Fisher plow. Replaced the 06 LBZ RCLB.

1965 Buick Skylark 2door post, 401ci, TH400, 10bolt posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread