Diesel Place banner

Cig lighter and Aux Power 2 fuse blowing

835 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  carlosh 
#1 ·
Need a bit of help, my fuses for both the Aux Power 2 (20amp) and the Cig lighter (15 amp) keep blowing as soon as I plug anything into them. I tried two diffrent cell phone chargers to see if one was messed up, but they will blow as soon as they are plugged in. Troubleshot the wires to the harness and they do not appear to be chafed, melted, or discolored in any way.
I am not sure how long this has been messed up, but the only new thing that I have added or changed was the addition of an AstroStart. I really do not think that I tied into the cig and aux power circuit, but I am not sure. What leads me to that conclusion is that when the fuses do blow there is no change to the way the AstroStart works.

Ideas??

Carlos

#2 ·
I had this problem and it turned out to be the charger. The chargers (several) all came from wallyworld and were not from the cell phone manuf. What would happen was that when the charger was inseted into the socket the outside fingers (negative) would actually be pushed to far into the accy plug and ground to the center tip (positive) blowing the fuse in the truck but not blowing the fuse in the accy plug. Disaasembled the charger plug and cut off some of the fingers to prevent them from being pushed into the center pin. Hope this helps.:)

#3 ·
I think you just solved the problem for me! I have a Wally World charger for the cell and I BET this is the issue!! Thanks, wil look this over tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Thanks again.

#4 ·
THat is most likely the issue. Try plugging something else in.

#5 ·
its raining to beat the band today, will do as soon as I can get out and mess around without gettign soaked....
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.