Diesel Place banner

Cigarette Lighter is blowing fuses

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  problemchild 
#1 ·
My vehicle is currently at the dealership. I brought it in to them because fuses were being blown from plugging my phone charger in the accesory plug and my bluetooth earpiece in the cigarette lighter.

The dealer just called me back and said the cigarette lighter was not designed for phone chargers or the like and that's why its blowing fuses. I have a hard time with this statement.

I've never had this problem in my wife's toyota camry? Please say it isn't so!

PS. I purchase new charging units for my mobile/earpiece and tested them in the truck and still had the fuses blowing....so I'm thinking this will eliminate this being the problem.

#2 · (Edited)
I call bs, my phone(s) are always plugged in, and have had the kids dvd player running at times too.

#3 ·
If the cig lighter isn't for assesories, why is there 3 of them. What assesory draws less amps than a cell phone charger? I would take the truck to a dealer that know there head from there A$$. Or you could look into what else if anything is also on that same curcuit, that could also be your culprit.

#4 ·
Big white,, which dealer is your truck at?

#5 ·
Burt Chev. in Parker

#7 ·
Call Transwest GMC in Commerce City, talk to Johnny in the service department, they are a top notch dealer, and they welcome all warranty work.

#8 ·
Dealer says the cig lighter is "not" designed for any type of car charger...they put in an accessory plug for me in place of the cig lighter so we'll see how this works...

I'm still beside myself about this whole thing...my 03 never had the issue. I even called another dealer and they mentioned it was a common service call for them.

Still feel like I'm being fed a line...we'll see how the new accessory plug works.

#9 ·
dmax3500;1410933; said:
cig coils are shorted out just put in a new recepticle and that should fix it
I think this may be it, my cigg. lighter fuse blows ALL the time, it has something to do with the lighter itself, I've used it at times and it would blow the fuse while trying to heat the lighter. I never plug anything else into that plug.

FYI.........OBD II port is on that same circuit.

#10 ·
Got it back from the Dealer...they put in a "accessory" port and took the cig lighter out. So far so good! Both my cell and earpiece can be charged at the same time and no blown fuses...they didn't charge me for it either!

Thanks to all of you that responded...I appreciate your assistance.

#12 ·
dmax3500;1410933; said:
Thot the coil was in the removable plugin used to light the cig? If so, it is irrelavent if the cell is plugged in the receptacle ~

Shummy ~

#13 ·
dmax3500;1410933; said:
:exactly: I've had this problem once and there was actually some metallic debris stuck down in the outlet causing the short. Bottom line...it's a short somewhere.

#14 ·
mad;1413300; said:
:exactly: I've had this problem once and there was actually some metallic debris stuck down in the outlet causing the short. Bottom line...it's a short somewhere.

x2 (and its in that socket)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.