Diesel Place banner

Power steering leak

960 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  davester 
#1 ·
Hi. First time on here.
Have a 2004 3500 diesel that has a power steering leak. Leaks bad when turning the wheels when truck is barely moving (when the ram has to work). The ram isn't leaking.

Does anyone know where can I get a diagram of the complete power steering system? Other suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
Not knowing what a steering ram was, I had to look it up. So you have an extra power steering component that is in addition to the stock power steering from the steering box?

I don't have any experience with that. However, a couple of months ago I had the front jacked up just a little, but wheels still on the ground, to lube it. As everyone knows, you have to turn the steering from lock-to-lock to get all the zerks. Being lazy, I thought I would just turn the steering wheel without starting the diesel. Well, it was still very hard to do . . . and then there was a significant puddle under the steering box. Uh-oh, and a couple of days before a 3k mile trip. I may be criticized for this, but I put in a 12oz. bottle of Lucas Steering Stop-Leak. I'm not a fan of chemical solutions like this, but the reservoir hasn't gone down any in over 4k miles. Probably (1) that's good stuff and the seals "conditioned and swelled", and/or (2) I haven't sat still and tried to turn the wheel (which I don't because it's hard on tires and steering components).

If you've got nothing to lose, you could try the Lucas. Otherwise, I don't think you said where it's leaking? Leaking bad when turning probably means the steering box, I think. The power steering hoses are notorious for seeping, and when they get worse outright leaking.

(edits to correct grammar)

#4 ·
The power steering pump is also used for your power brakes [instead of using engine vacuum]. You should see a pair of lines running to/from the master cylinder.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info Davester. I guess I'll just look a bit deeper into this. I probably have to pull some of those panels off and have a better look.

While I'm at it (Heh Heh), I can't get the back door open, drivers side. It's an extended cab. The top latch unlatches but the bottom one does not. The pin must have fell out. Do you know how I would get the inner panel off?? Do I just pry it off??

#6 · (Edited)
I haven't had to remove mine [also an extended cab], but I think the door has an interior pull handle, so there will be some screws to remove there. There is also a small removable panel around the inside door latch that you need to remove first. There may also be a screw or two behind it. I would expect it pry's away from the door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.