Leveling question - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
TigerFan822
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

NC Dmax's Member

Leveling question

I currently have my stock keys maxed out and am considering getting new torsion keys because my new tires rub. Will I see a difference with new torsion keys since mine are already maxed out?

'05
Dmax
5" Magnaflow w/ no kitty or muffler
285/75/16 Toyo M/T
Gear Alloys
CCM Leveling Kit
Bilstein 5100's
'06+ Tow Mirrors
DDM 8000K HID's
Smoked LED Tails
Autometer Cobalts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
j land
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

According to Cognito's website....you will not gain any benefit...but in reality I don't know.. I have my stock keys maxed out and the rebound of the suspension in the front is just about maxed out meaning it cant really be jacked up any further without modification such as control arms and longer shocks.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan822 View Post
I currently have my stock keys maxed out and am considering getting new torsion keys because my new tires rub. Will I see a difference with new torsion keys since mine are already maxed out?
You have a 05 so I don't know much about your model.
Check and see how much gap you have on the upper control arm and the stop, they recommend at least 5/8"-3/4"
I went with the Redi Lift leveling kit maxed out on my 3500 HD about 5 years ago, it still was not level
After a couple of years the harsh ride started to bother me, mine only had about 1/4" gap.
Sept 2012 I went with the Cognito UCA's, Pitman/Idler arm support this helped a little giving me about 3/8" gap.
Last week I finally went with the Cognito 4" lift with the "torsion bar drop" kit, this I don't like and would not suggest. Causing IMO a possible clearance issue with the torsion bar dropped. I'm waiting for the parts from Cognito to convert the lift to the Non Torsion bar.
As you can see in the pictures the torsion bars are lower than my amp steps when they are down.
Not good IMO with a 4" lift and having only a 9" clearance.
The ride is much better now having full travel again with the lift and having about 1" gap with the UPA stop.
BTW I have a slightly used Redi Lift leveling kit with shock extension available.
Attached Thumbnails
Leveling question-torsion-drop-1.jpg   Leveling question-torsion-drop.jpg  

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser EFILive AutoCal by MJ Engineering

Last edited by D_R_C; 01-23-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
TigerFan822
Diesel Technician

NC Dmax's Member

Thanks for the replies. I also need suggestions on shocks that won't cost an arm and a leg.

'05
Dmax
285/75/16 Toyo M/T
Gear Alloys
CCM Leveling Kit
Bilstein 5100's
'06+ Tow Mirrors
DDM 8000K HID's
Smoked LED Tails
Autometer Cobalts
Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

I like my Bilsteins 5100 series.
Bilstein makes the front shock for the Cognito non torsion bar lift.

Last edited by D_R_C; 01-23-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan822 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I also need suggestions on shocks that won't cost an arm and a leg.
Also you might want to verify what length you will need for the front since you have it cranked up before you buy.
Just see what kind of up and down shock travel you have setting level.
You might need to go with a shock that is 2" longer.
On prices I have found them running about $90-$100 each.
I had the 2" shock extensions that came with the leveling kit and ended up having to go with the 2" longer Bilsteins as well when I cranked it up 3 1/2".
New Bilstein Part Number: 24-186735 for the fronts with 0-2.5 lifted heigth.
In fact since I'm changing to the non torsion lift I have to buy new front shocks so I'll have them available as well.

Last edited by D_R_C; 01-23-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
TigerFan822
Diesel Technician

NC Dmax's Member

PM a price.

'05
Dmax
285/75/16 Toyo M/T
Gear Alloys
CCM Leveling Kit
Bilstein 5100's
'06+ Tow Mirrors
DDM 8000K HID's
Smoked LED Tails
Autometer Cobalts
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
j land
Diesel Enthusiast

I put Rancho's on mine... there was a special with a rebate where you basicly get one shock free after the rebate i got them 2.5 inches longer then stock my torsion bars are all the way up and i have 2 inch tapered blocks in the back. i can fit a finger between the uca and bump stops. I have the Cognito upper control arms to put in ...I blew out my back and needed surgery so I haven't installed them yet but even without them it isn't that harsh and looks decent. Oh the truck is a 2005.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

I think you will like the UCA's they give you a little more gap on the stop and they have a cusion instead of metal to metal.
On mine the ride was ok in general but when I hit a dip and/or speed it was pretty rough.
The UCA's did help and now with the 4" lift the ride is just like it was when new.
I did test drive a new 2012 3500 4X4 last week and mine now rides just as good.
Actually a little better because GM increased the GCVW with a little stiffer suspension along with a little better frame construction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.